Suburbs with pavements...any out there?

Been some discussion on another thread about this and wondered about it. Didn't want to highjack Wendy's awesome thread post-arrival!

I was hoping to live somewhere with a village feel about it and be able to walk on pavements to local shops. Seems this is not to be...?

I visited family in a Brisbane suburb (Red Hill) many years ago and from what I can recall, this seemed much more like what I was after. Pavements and local shops you can walk to, buy a newspaper, pint of milk...that sort of thing. Is it that as some of the suburbs are still so new that these things are in development or just not part of Australian living in WA?

Shout out to anyone living in a suburb that meets that brief...answers on a postcard please?!

There are certainly lots of suburbs that are more established so have shops in walking distance. Suburbs do tend to be sprawling though so even in a suburb with shops it may be too far or too hot to walk a long long way. But to answer your question from my knowledge locally Secret Harbour, Golden Bay, Singleton, Madora Bay, Meadow Springs, Silversands .

Can't say I've come across any burbs without pavements. I can walk to Coles, Woolies, two post offices, chemists, clothes shops, bottle shops, bakers, you name it, and I do walk, won't see many Aussies walking though.

Totally agree with the lack of street lighting. Street upon street more or less in darkness. Not great considering how early it gets dark here.

Reading your post on what you were looking for in a place to live, brought a suburb to mind. I don't live their but Hammond Park could be worth a look. It's a new suburb, with a nice community feel too it. A few shops, for your basics within walking distance, doctors surgery, a lovely grassed Oval with a play park and free to use BBQs.

It also has a local bar/restaurant in the heart of it, which is a lovely place for local families to walk to for a meal or a drink.

Cash rich suburbs like City Beach, Cotty and the like tend to have more pavements - funny that eh :biggrin: Other suburbs the design seems to be, from what I see anyway, is that any main road into or through the suburb, and any road that leads somewhere, has at least one pavement but all the others appear pavementless (is that a word?) So if you are choosing a suburb that is another thing to consider when renting or buying if a pavement is important to you :biggrin: That all said and done as I seem to keep saying these days, it is what it is...... Bear in mind that when it is 80 degress at 7.30 in the morning, and hotter as the day goes on, a walk to the local shops pushing a buggy is not something that may appeal too much :biggrin:

Well there are SOME pavements.... but not every street has them, I think it must depend on whether there is anything to actually 'get' to on your street. In the three suburbs I've lived in since we've been here - Clarkson, no pavements unless there was a shop right outside, Subiaco - there were pavements here, Yangebup - no pavements unless on a sort of 'main' road. So on our street there is no pavement, you have to either walk on the road or trample over someone's front yard!!

Well there are SOME pavements.... but not every street has them, I think it must depend on whether there is anything to actually 'get' to on your street. In the three suburbs I've lived in since we've been here - Clarkson, no pavements unless there was a shop right outside, Subiaco - there were pavements here, Yangebup - no pavements unless on a sort of 'main' road. So on our street there is no pavement, you have to either walk on the road or trample over someone's front yard!!

See Subiaco pavements - another better off suburb - there is a pattern forming here - more money, better suburbs, more pavements :biggrin:

Also bear in mind though are the first few metres of a property where there are no pavements, from the road edge in, not owned by the council and not the home owner? This area is called a verge. Cannot find if there is a minimum or maximum but on my house plan it is 8 metres. We have a big block. Is that not right? Think it could be? If that is the case, which I think it may be, then you are not trampling over the owners front yard you are are trampling over council land!! :biggrin:

There are policies of what you can and cannot do with the verge area adjacent to your property shire by shire. One example is that if you plant big bushes on the verge then it could hinder your line of sight, and others, from reversing safely from their driveways. Verges are also there in case laying new pipes or services are required and so if you lawn or plant right to the road edge then councils can come along and lift it all without needing to ask. This is why there are policies on what you can do and not do with the verges in the suburbs. If you have a pavement directly in front of your house, and then a small additional verge area beyond that, then being WA then you can bet their will be different rules for those!!

How many incomers knew about this will be interesting...... I only found out about it in our suburb when I did my first house alterations back in 2005 after being here two years. I guess this is yet another thing to check when buying a house here, i.e. where does your property end and the verge start. You may get a shock depending on what suburb you are in as to how it is done:biggrin:

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Isn't that just the way of it...higher cost suburbs=more pavements...may need to rethink?! Cottesloe looks lovely but completely unaffordable for us I would bet.

Pavements are not essential but would like to think I could walk to the local shops sometimes. Though as you say, with temperatures in the summer this might not even be possible anyway! A close family member lived in Greece for a number of years and there you were lucky that there was a dirt track...

Pardon me for asking why is a pavement so important?

Hi Elfie,

Well, when you say it like that I guess it sounds a bit silly...:embarressed:

However, I think for us it is important that we know we can walk to the local shops and maybe with daughter on her bike of occasion, rather than having to drive everywhere...? Maybe it isn't much of a consideration for others? I don't know...

Thanks for the replies folks...as usual a font of knowledge on PP...

I believe that the factor that is considered when council planners choose to install pavements or not is the volume of road traffic. If the road is very quiet, there is only a pavement on one side. If it's a main road there will be one on each side. I suppose it is to save costs which makes sense if there's no need for a pavement on each side. I haven't yet seen anywhere without any pavements.

Ross

I believe that the factor that is considered when council planners choose to install pavements or not is the volume of road traffic.

Yep good point and makes sense.

I haven't yet seen anywhere without any pavements. Seriously? There are streets, mainly side streets, everywhere in certain suburbs with no pavements.

I love this thread. Mundane and yet so informative :biggrin:

To be honest I am not bothered either way and the saying "when in Rome" springs to mind however one reason could be personal safety. Only a guess though....:wink:

Obviously how dumb of me but then spent lots of time in Greece so use to no pavements :cute: love your honesty as usual straight to the point :wink: plus no little people in our family to worry about perhaps thats why not bothered