Jump to content

Alan Collett

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Alan Collett last won the day on July 28 2017

Alan Collett had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

14 Neutral

About Alan Collett

  • Rank
  • Birthday February 13

Recent Profile Visitors

1,405 profile views
  1. Alan Collett

    Accountant Recommendation for Tax Returns

    Thanks for your kind words! Best regards.
  2. Alan Collett

    Accountant Recommendation for Tax Returns

    Hello Harry. Please see my signature below. Best regards.
  3. Alan Collett

    U.K. Pension query

    Remember also that only 92% of the UK State Pension is taxable in Australia: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-return/2016/Supplementary-tax-return/Deduction-questions-D11-D15/D11-Deductible-amount-of-undeducted-purchase-price-of-a-foreign-pension-or-annuity-2016/ (scroll down to British Pensions) Best regards.
  4. Alan Collett

    HELP! Parent visa advice needed

    Hi clari. I'm a registered migration agent - so I didn't need to pay anything! Best regards.
  5. Alan Collett

    Seeking an Expat Accountant Expert

    Please feel able to send a PM to me with your contact details. We can then tee up a date and a time for me to telephone you. Best regards.
  6. Alan Collett

    Double Tax Relief Agreement between Australia and Britain

    Are you deriving UK source pension income, Patrick? If not, what drives the need to prepare this form? Best regards.
  7. Alan Collett

    Can you help any advice?

    Watch the forex rules if you put £ funds in an interest bearing savings account. There are ATO Private Rulings that discuss this - while a Private Ruling is specific to the taxpayer that sought it the narrative in a Ruling is a good indication of the ATO's thinking on matters of a technical nature. For example: https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi=/static/rba/content/1012390159609.htm Best regards.
  8. Alan Collett


    Hi Michael. How old is Mum please? If "aged" (as defined - over 65.5) I would look at visa sub classes 864 and 804. Both of these are onshore visas, so have a Bridging Visa entitlement, but have very different prices, and visa processing timelines. If Mum isn't aged you are probably looking at a subclass 143 visa for Mum. Feel able to send a message to me with your phone number if you would like me to call for a no obligation chat about Mum's visa strategy. Best regards.
  9. Alan Collett

    Can you help any advice?

    Have you lived in the property as your main residence throughout the period in which you have owned it? If so, the sale is exempt from CGT. Best regards.
  10. Alan Collett

    Transferring UK contribution pension to Australia

    Hi Erin. I'm sure Andrew will be able to assist you, even though he is in SA. Best regards.
  11. Alan Collett

    Help with migration agent

    For what type of visa, Paul? Best regards.
  12. Alan Collett

    Transferring UK contribution pension to Australia

    Hello Sarah. Until you are aged 55+ you are unable to transfer your UK pension benefits to an Australian superannuation fund - the rules of the game changed a couple of years ago. From a tax perspective it is though likely to be well worth looking at this more fully in a few years from now. A pension drawn from the UK will be taxable in Australia if you are tax resident in Australia at that time. A UK fund that is transferred into an Australian superannuation fund is likely to be accessible in your more senior years on a free of tax basis. Best regards.
  13. Yes, send a blank email to parents@border.gov.au to receive an email advising which visa application lodgment dates for each parent visa subclass are being allocated presently. Best regards.
  14. Alan Collett

    Can you help any advice?

    Not necessarily. The UK now charges CGT on the disposal of a residential property by a non UK resident person. There can also be CGT payable in Australia on the disposal of a former main residence by an Australian resident individual. Whether there is any CGT payable is a factor of each individual's circumstances, which are not sufficiently detailed in the original post. There are also exemptions from the forex gains and losses provisions in Australia, which ought to be explored more fully before concluding there is no foreign exchange gain or loss to be included on an Australian tax return. Best regards..
  15. Alan Collett

    Can you help any advice?

    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-for-non-residents-uk-residential-property Have you completed a Non Resident CGT Return and lodged this with HM Revenue? You have 30 days to do this, whether or not you have realised a capital gain or a loss. Feel able to send a private message to me (click on my name to the left of this post) if you think you might need some assistance with this form. Best regards.