Jump to content

Alan Collett

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by Alan Collett

  1. Alan Collett

    Parent Visas

    Just to say that a refusal of an onshore parent visa application doesn't mean an automatic deportation. Aside from the ability to appeal the decision the subclass 602 Medical Treatment visa should be available as a solution that would allow the parent visa applicants to remain in Australia. The restriction on travel attaching to the Bridging Visa A that is the visa granted when the holder of a visitor visa applies for an 804 or 864 visa can be overcome with a Bridging Visa B. Best regards.
  2. A quick reminder - particularly for those who have moved to Australia since the 1st of July 2019 - that those individuals who are required to submit a tax return with the Australian Tax Office have until the 31st of October 2020 to lodge their 2020 income tax return if a registered tax agent is not instructed. You can check whether you are required to submit a 2020 Australian tax return at this web page. To lodge your 2020 tax return you can: Lodge online with myTax through myGov, or Complete a paper tax return form and mail it to the Australian Taxation Office, or Use a registered tax agent If you use a registered tax agent to prepare and lodge your tax return you should be able to submit later than the 31st of October 2020 - quite possibly until mid-May next year. You should though appoint a registered tax agent before the 31st of October 2020 to access the extended 2020 tax return filing deadline. Best regards.
  3. Alan Collett

    804 Visa

    Shouldn't be too long - we tend to see BVAs granted within a week of the 804 visa application being delivered to the PVC. Good luck! Best regards.
  4. Alan Collett

    870 Temporary Visa

    You can be in Australia when applying for an 870 visa if you have sought agreement to this when lodging the sponsor application. We've done this recently due to the COVID situation - our client is onshore in Australia with a visitor visa. Approval to apply for the 870 visa onshore was granted. Best regards.
  5. Hi Mike. For the transferring of pensions to Australia from the UK I would consider a firm that specialises in this area of advice - it is relatively niche and many financial planners won't have been involved in this on a regular basis. My recommendation is bdhSterling, who have offices in Perth and the UK. I hasten to add that I am a Principal at bdh Tax. Best regards.
  6. Alan Collett

    Accountant Recommendation for Tax Returns

    Thanks for your kind words! Best regards.
  7. Alan Collett

    Accountant Recommendation for Tax Returns

    Hello Harry. Please see my signature below. Best regards.
  8. Alan Collett

    U.K. Pension query

    Remember also that only 92% of the UK State Pension is taxable in Australia: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-return/2016/Supplementary-tax-return/Deduction-questions-D11-D15/D11-Deductible-amount-of-undeducted-purchase-price-of-a-foreign-pension-or-annuity-2016/ (scroll down to British Pensions) Best regards.
  9. Alan Collett

    HELP! Parent visa advice needed

    Hi clari. I'm a registered migration agent - so I didn't need to pay anything! Best regards.
  10. Alan Collett

    Seeking an Expat Accountant Expert

    Please feel able to send a PM to me with your contact details. We can then tee up a date and a time for me to telephone you. Best regards.
  11. Alan Collett

    Double Tax Relief Agreement between Australia and Britain

    Are you deriving UK source pension income, Patrick? If not, what drives the need to prepare this form? Best regards.
  12. Alan Collett

    Can you help any advice?

    Watch the forex rules if you put £ funds in an interest bearing savings account. There are ATO Private Rulings that discuss this - while a Private Ruling is specific to the taxpayer that sought it the narrative in a Ruling is a good indication of the ATO's thinking on matters of a technical nature. For example: https://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content/?ffi=/static/rba/content/1012390159609.htm Best regards.
  13. Alan Collett


    Hi Michael. How old is Mum please? If "aged" (as defined - over 65.5) I would look at visa sub classes 864 and 804. Both of these are onshore visas, so have a Bridging Visa entitlement, but have very different prices, and visa processing timelines. If Mum isn't aged you are probably looking at a subclass 143 visa for Mum. Feel able to send a message to me with your phone number if you would like me to call for a no obligation chat about Mum's visa strategy. Best regards.
  14. Alan Collett

    Can you help any advice?

    Have you lived in the property as your main residence throughout the period in which you have owned it? If so, the sale is exempt from CGT. Best regards.
  15. Alan Collett

    Transferring UK contribution pension to Australia

    Hi Erin. I'm sure Andrew will be able to assist you, even though he is in SA. Best regards.
  16. Alan Collett

    Help with migration agent

    For what type of visa, Paul? Best regards.
  17. Alan Collett

    Transferring UK contribution pension to Australia

    Hello Sarah. Until you are aged 55+ you are unable to transfer your UK pension benefits to an Australian superannuation fund - the rules of the game changed a couple of years ago. From a tax perspective it is though likely to be well worth looking at this more fully in a few years from now. A pension drawn from the UK will be taxable in Australia if you are tax resident in Australia at that time. A UK fund that is transferred into an Australian superannuation fund is likely to be accessible in your more senior years on a free of tax basis. Best regards.
  18. Yes, send a blank email to parents@border.gov.au to receive an email advising which visa application lodgment dates for each parent visa subclass are being allocated presently. Best regards.
  19. Alan Collett

    Can you help any advice?

    Not necessarily. The UK now charges CGT on the disposal of a residential property by a non UK resident person. There can also be CGT payable in Australia on the disposal of a former main residence by an Australian resident individual. Whether there is any CGT payable is a factor of each individual's circumstances, which are not sufficiently detailed in the original post. There are also exemptions from the forex gains and losses provisions in Australia, which ought to be explored more fully before concluding there is no foreign exchange gain or loss to be included on an Australian tax return. Best regards..
  20. Alan Collett

    Can you help any advice?

    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-for-non-residents-uk-residential-property Have you completed a Non Resident CGT Return and lodged this with HM Revenue? You have 30 days to do this, whether or not you have realised a capital gain or a loss. Feel able to send a private message to me (click on my name to the left of this post) if you think you might need some assistance with this form. Best regards.
  21. Alan Collett


    No, it was (broadly) 4 years of residence, of which the last 12 months had to be as a permanent visa holder. See the residence requirements here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Lear/Law-and-policy/conferral The recently announced changes to the Citizenship Act are yet to pass through the Parliament. Best regards.
  22. Alan Collett

    Taxes on UK Rental

    Then your UK rental income (after deducting costs that are allowable for Australian tax purposes - including depreciation) is taxable in Australia from the date you become a tax resident. The rental income is also taxable in the UK, but may well be covered by the UK personal allowance, to which you remain entitled. Expect to be required to complete a tax return in both countries. Also Google Non Resident Landlord Scheme. Best regards.
  23. Alan Collett

    Taxes on UK Rental

    Hello Harry. What subclass of visa do you have? Best regards.
  24. Alan Collett

    HELP! Parent visa advice needed

    Hi Alphagirl. Unfortunately whoever told you that you simply pay the balance if you adopt the 2 step strategy didn't understand that the overall cost of applying via a 2 step strategy is more than applying for the permanent CPV from the outset. If you are "aged" (as defined - over 65 currently) you might look at a subclass 804 Aged Parent visa. Which isn't free, I hasten to add. Best regards.
  25. Alan Collett


    Hi Irene. You are very welcome to contact me with a view to a free initial chat about parent visa strategy - feel able to send a PM to me (click on my name to the left of this post). Best regards.