rubbish

odies

over here in the Uk we have a huge rubbish / litter problem which thankfully was highlighted on a programme last night. I hate how the streets are becoming and fines are not working. One thing I have noticed is Perth does not seem to bad or does not have the same problem as uk with dog poo

either. Am I right ??

I remember when I first arrived thinking how clean the streets are and a couple of years in I have a better understanding of why.

Firstly I just don't see many people dropping rubbish. I've seen people throwing stuff from their cars a couple of times but it's nothing like London that's for sure.

In Freo most residents seem to take responsibility to clean up their community, it doesn't matter if it's not yours, if there's rubbish on the street we pick it up and take to our bin at home if we have to.

There's also a small army of people who come out on the streets at sunrise on Saturday and Sunday and clean up. It's a busy town on Friday and Saturday nights and not everyone has consideration for others so it does need a little tidying.

Our dog beach can get pretty busy and there are a few gifts left here and there but considering the number of dogs that use it, if owners didn't pick up it would be disgusting.

I remember when I first arrived thinking how clean the streets are and a couple of years in I have a better understanding of why.

Firstly I just don't see many people dropping rubbish. I've seen people throwing stuff from their cars a couple of times but it's nothing like London that's for sure.

In Freo most residents seem to take responsibility to clean up their community, it doesn't matter if it's not yours, if there's rubbish on the street we pick it up and take to our bin at home if we have to.

There's also a small army of people who come out on the streets at sunrise on Saturday and Sunday and clean up. It's a busy town on Friday and Saturday nights and not everyone has consideration for others so it does need a little tidying.

Our dog beach can get pretty busy and there are a few gifts left here and there but considering the number of dogs that use it, if owners didn't pick up it would be disgusting.

We have been impressed by the general cleanliness, less the bulk rubbish thing. I am not sure if we just don't understand the system, but we are staying in Scarborough at the moment and there seems to have been piles of fridges, bed, BBQs etc on the kerbsides for the last 2-3 weeks.

Does anyone know what the score is?

Regards,

S.

Guest guest9824
We have been impressed by the general cleanliness, less the bulk rubbish thing. I am not sure if we just don't understand the system, but we are staying in Scarborough at the moment and there seems to have been piles of fridges, bed, BBQs etc on the kerbsides for the last 2-3 weeks.

Does anyone know what the score is?

Hi Sapper,

Its the verge collection. Done twice yearly. You put out all your rubbish and the local shire come and dispose of it, green waste separate to household rubbish. OUr shire has decided to bin (pardon the pun) this idea, as sometimes, its looks like a bit of an eyesore for a few weeks, you arent supposed to put it out too early, but people do, then you get verge surfers:biggrin: who come to take bits that they like the look of, some not all, sometimes leave the piles of neatly stacked rubbish in a bit of a mess. So our shire has decided to offer skips, four a year, green and household and four tip trips free too (as you have to pay at the tip to dump your rubbish). Hope that helps.

pea

Edited by guest9824

We cannot believe how clean and tidy Perth is.

When we first starting driving around we turned up one road and there was junk everywhere. We thought hell no not staying here a moment longer. Later found out if was "Junk Week". :biggrin:

We have not seen any dog's mess. There are dog bins and bags all over.

Cannot wait for the girls to get out of prison to take them to the park and beach for a good run.

Guest guest9824
Peanuts,

Ah, that explains it! Thank you very much for the clear explanation.

We are (hopefully) moving to East Freo in December, so I'll have to find out what their rubbish collection/skip arrangements are.

Regards,

S.

You are welcome S, good luck with the move, freo is lovely!

pea