Land to build on - Southern Corridor

fifi69

Looks like we are taking the plunge on owning our own home here.

I will be working in Cockburn, OH in Port Kennedy, so makes sense to build somewhere close to access for the Kwinana Freeway.

We aren't new to Perth, so do know some of the areas, but wouldn't mind some feedback from people living in or near any of these areas.

Honeywood...I know its still pretty new, not sure if block sizes are big enough.

Wellard - Emerald Park or Sunrise. Not sure about Emerald Park, all seemed a bit bland. Sunrise, anyone planning to move here?

Baldivis....Really like the look of it...which estate would you recommend? Was told to stay away from the Smirk Road area of ???

Secret Harbour...Looked at rentals here when we first arrived....wasnt too impressed with the area...was that judgement right??

Mandurah....have always said since I first visited that I wouldn't mind living there, but up until now it would have been too long a commute. Love the look of Halls Head area, don't know anything about Meadow Springs. We are going to have a look at a large block in Lakelands on Saturday but don't know anything about the area.

We don't need to worry about schools. Just trying to get a feel for what areas are like from people that actually live in them.

Also for those that do commute on the Kwinana at rush hour, how far down would you live if you Didnt want a journey of more than 45mins to Cockburn.

TIA

Guest guest9824
Looks like we are taking the plunge on owning our own home here.

I will be working in Cockburn, OH in Port Kennedy, so makes sense to build somewhere close to access for the Kwinana Freeway.

We aren't new to Perth, so do know some of the areas, but wouldn't mind some feedback from people living in or near any of these areas.

Honeywood...I know its still pretty new, not sure if block sizes are big enough.

Wellard - Emerald Park or Sunrise. Not sure about Emerald Park, all seemed a bit bland. Sunrise, anyone planning to move here?

Baldivis....Really like the look of it...which estate would you recommend? Was told to stay away from the Smirk Road area of ???

Secret Harbour...Looked at rentals here when we first arrived....wasnt too impressed with the area...was that judgement right??

Mandurah....have always said since I first visited that I wouldn't mind living there, but up until now it would have been too long a commute. Love the look of Halls Head area, don't know anything about Meadow Springs. We are going to have a look at a large block in Lakelands on Saturday but don't know anything about the area.

We don't need to worry about schools. Just trying to get a feel for what areas are like from people that actually live in them.

Also for those that do commute on the Kwinana at rush hour, how far down would you live if you Didnt want a journey of more than 45mins to Cockburn.

TIA

Sounds like a good plan Fifi, I'm sure all will go well, and I wish you lots of luck. Out of your list, I really like Mandurah, so that would be my choice especially if you are thinking of building and staying put. The world is your oyster really with no pressure to find the 'right' school etc...happy days, I can see you jet skiing down the peel estuary...:biggrin:

Wen have been in mandurah for 5 years now. We have looked at most of the areas you mention when we have been looking for a block of land. We have settled on a block inn the suburb where we are now. We couldn't afford it previously, but the prices have come down and we have found a great block with a view. We also love being next to the beach. We are 10 minutes further south of Halls Head. But we like the suburb as because it doesn't have a school, most are like us - couples without children. That and the beach is great.

Think about the things that are important to your lifestyle.

Think about what size house you are going to want and what size block you will need. For us, we wanted one big enough for a pool and a garden as my wife is keen on gardening. But, not having children we don't need a huge house.

Check out any restrictive covenants that different suburbs have.

Have you thought about builders yet?

We are going with Home Group WA who have been very good so far - build hasnt started yet as we will be doing the pre start in a couple of weeks.

We live in Orelia, didnt self build, but found a nice 3x1 with alot of land and loads of trees around, which is something we didnt like about new builds. Wellard is close by, and its taking a time to get established, there are some areas I wouldnt like to live in, but its good value.

Baldivis we found just too large. There's a number of new estates going up, and that area will be really heavily populated over the next few years.

Madurah I agree it lovely so would be our choice.

I work on the Kwinana strip and have colleagues who travel from Mandurah. The freeway does get busy during rush hour (basically any time after 6:30 am), especially the closer to Perth you get. So as long as you have working hours that don't require you to travel during the rush hour (unless you take the train), then going that far isnt an issue.

Hope that helps

Nick

Guest Love the Swan Valley

Hi Tia, There are so many Estates! [i work for a building company]. I do know there is also land for sale in Singleton which is between Port Kennedy and Mandurah have you thought of that as a location to live in?. Kind Regards Tony

Stick with your judgement on Secret Harbour, its a soulless and insular place the new build plots are tiny we have nicknamed Secret Harbour tin roof city. September cannot come quick enough when our lease is up to move back down to the Mandurah area and cant blinking wait.

Meadow Springs is similar to Secret Harbour - the older part- funnily prefer it to Secret Harbour - it merges into Lakelands. Lakelands is very new also soulless and bare due to it being so new like the newer parts of Secret Habour/Golden Bay. Lots and lots of building going on there. Then theres building at Madora Bay very close to the beach.

Edited by elfie

The only issues I see on Kwinana is the 80 limit out of Perth, and then the backlog at the Roe Highway junction (which may improve once they stop road works in the area).

Have a look on Google Maps, as it has 'live' traffic times with Green/Amber/Red roads.

I'd also suggest moving north of Cockburn, so you are commuting in the opposite direction to the majority.

We have friends in Beeliar, and it's a nice area.

What about Beeliar? There are some new land sales going on nearby and it is a nice area. Otherwise there is the new Stockland development at Cockburn - Calleya I think it's called. Guess it depends on your land budget but we got the stage one release through and the prices seemed reasonable.

Have friends in Wellard and that is a nice area with good access to the train line and Freeway.

Agree about Beeliar as a nice suburb but traffic to and from the freeway at that point during the rush hour is horrendous.

What about Golden Bay, Madora Bay way.

The main problem with new estates is that they knock all the trees down and the blocks are too small, so they end up looking like a hot collection of roofs. I suppose time will sort that out though. What about Jandakot/Glen Iris? Close to Cockburn but parts are well established and the blocks seem to be bigger.

Agree about Beeliar as a nice suburb but traffic to and from the freeway at that point during the rush hour is horrendous.

What about Golden Bay, Madora Bay way.

The main problem with new estates is that they knock all the trees down and the blocks are too small, so they end up looking like a hot collection of roofs. I suppose time will sort that out though. What about Jandakot/Glen Iris? Close to Cockburn but parts are well established and the blocks seem to be bigger.

That's interesting, we go to the Freeway from Yangebup (opposite Beeliar) every morning at around 7.30am and never encounter any traffic - although we don't use Beeliar Drive, we get on at Berrigan.

I'd suggest Yangebup if you weren't looking to build - there are some blocks over Spearwood Avenue, but they are quite small and quite expensive as it's the 'newer' side of Yangebup. Older Yangebup has decent sized blocks and house prices under $500k, but most aren't renovated so you'd have to factor in new kitchens and bathrooms if you like that sort of thing!

That's interesting, we go to the Freeway from Yangebup (opposite Beeliar) every morning at around 7.30am and never encounter any traffic - although we don't use Beeliar Drive, we get on at Berrigan.

I have on a few occasions had to go to Beelair for babysitting duties during the rush hour and have crossed the freeway at Beelair Drive coming from the Jandakot side and the traffic has been awful... maybe I just hit bad days but there are so many traffic lights in such a short space in front of the shopping centre and going towards the coast. You got me thinking that maybe I should change my route for next time and cross at Berrigan... thanks for that.

Hi fifi,

We were in Lakelands for a year and found it too quiet, now I'm the south west corner of a Secret Harbour and quite like it.

Our new build on Baldivis should be ready in March. We will be in the Highbury Park estate and that together with Tuart Ridge are 2 of the more sought after areas. You'll need to be quick in Tuart though as the last lots are being released now and are a good size.

Not too bad a commute from there either!

Wow, thanks for all your feedback guys...not just newbies that need help.

Well I think, over the past couple of weeks, we've looked at every area that's been listed.

Tbh I don't think I've found my ideal..but def come across a few areas that would be pleasurable enough for a while til we either go further south or head back to metro Perth...it's so difficult cos we are so in love with the area we rent in, but until/unless we sell the UK house, we can't afford this area.

Areas are all very much a personal opinion for sure..but it's amazing what the same budget will get you in different areas.

Hate all these new eeny weeny tiny blocks that they try and pass off as living spaces....sorry but I want my alfresco and entertainment area...I live outdoors virtually here, and love getting all my friends round, plus we need a pool!!

So far our preferences say no to Honeywood, nice but small blocks, no to Wellard and Bertram, loved the look of Wellard Centre but the council housing policy seems to be causing concern, no also to Sunset and Emerald Park, but if I could afford it a semi rural in the Homestead Range would be nice. A major no no to Secret Harbour...that place does look like bogan central.

OH working in Port Kennedy which I think looks nice, but apart from down near the jetty which is out of our price range, no modern enough houses for us. Only my opinion but the other suburbs near there..seem a bit Hicksville, and scary!!!

So that's the Rockingham area out, apart from Baldivis, which I like.

Im a big fan of the Halls Head, Dawesville, Wannaup areas of Mandurah, but on this occasion they are still just that but too far out.

So Lakelands and Meadow Springs...not yet clued up to know where one starts and the other ends, but I did like the look and feel of Lakelands, we looked at and are very interested in a block there.

It's in a nice spot, perfect for the dogs.

Spoke with one of the builders today, a house and land package would be available...but not the double storey that I would have liked...meh.

never mind the search continues ....

Wow, don't hold back ! LOL !

I'd say only one quarter of SH is bogan.

Warnbro and Waikiki are ok on the beach side of Warnbro Sound Ave.

Our block is 572sq.m and we have a good size garden front and rear including room for a pool so if you can go 2 storey you can do ok on a 450.

There is a new estate called Vista opposite Singleton they are selling but nothing has been built yet.

Tbh I don't think I've found my ideal

Proceed with caution then, eh? It's pretty difficult I'm sure and whilst I've no intention of buying a place to live in, even locating the right area for investment is tough.

Im a big fan of the Halls Head, Dawesville, Wannaup areas of Mandurah, but on this occasion they are still just that but too far out.

I presume because of your work? Is there nothing down that way for you? If that's the area you like then why not go with your heart and worry about the job situation later?