IELTS Tuition

SteveJ

I attended a 4 hour tuition in Harriwgate cost £80 if you go on gumtree there are a couple of people offering tuition I tried this but didn't manage to book any1 one of them cancelled on me last minute . I got afew books from amazon and just practised had to take it 4 times before getting the scores I needed

Hope this helps

I did poorly in the reading at first sitting bought the academic practice book and got 9, 8.5, 8.5, 8 in second sitting after doing the practice papers only. Just put book on ebay to sell.

I also have a contact who may know of a tutor who could provide skype tuition, I ll PM you her details.

Edited by Hopeful

i can get a test for the 15th Feb, however not sure that will be enought time to practice. i will have to start looking for test papers.

we just got them off the internet, google ielts test papers and see what comes up. i think there are some on ebay too.

scott has been practising today and only has 3 more days.

i was told by the ielts people that you can retake the test as many times as you need to.

$_12.JPG.jpg

in this book... sorry don't think pic has shown[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Author(s)[/TD]

[TD=width: 65%]Michael Clutterbuck, Philip Gould[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Publisher[/TD]

[TD=width: 65%]Macmillan Education Australia[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Date of Publication[/TD]

[TD=width: 65%]18/03/2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Language(s)[/TD]

[TD=width: 65%]English[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Format[/TD]

[TD=width: 65%]Paperback[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]ISBN-10[/TD]

[TD=width: 65%]1420230220[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]ISBN-13[/TD]

[TD=width: 65%]9781420230222[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 35%]Genre[/TD]

[TD=width: 65%]ELT Course Materials[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Hopeful

Hi,

I was in the same boat when I booked my test (still need to sit it on the 15th Feb). I asked alot of people and most said practicing with exam papers was enough for them. I got a few books from my local library and I've been doing the exams and getting the results I need with them. It's not really a question of your English competency I found, just knowing the format and the easy mistakes you can make.

Crap looks like it will be a 7, will need to swat up if not another test in March

Just did a different test and got 35. To get 8 i am thinking you need to get 38 ? anyone know. while i was typing this i have come across a thread that shows general test as only getting a max score of 7, is this correct ?

Shows how poor my English is or maybe just a man thing in not reading the instructions before i start the book. the score i have done is based on the academic course and not the general.

I am now going to get some lunch then i will try the general test and see how that goes.

I am still worried about the max score being 7 on general if someone can please confirm.

Thanks Jason

LOL cant believe i just scored less on the General test than the Academic. I was'nt fully paying attention as it seemed easy, lesson learned. However i am convinced an answer is wrong or they are just tricky buggers.

Question Only amateur athletes are allowed to compete in the modern Olympics ? T F N ? Text reads Frenchman Baron Pierre de Coubertin, an educator and scholar, founded the modern Olympics. His aim was to bring together, once every four years, athletes from all countries on the friendly fields of amateur sport. answers please and i will say what the test paper says.

Edited by JasonM

I'd have to say not given from what info you give. They say only and they don't give any information on other players.

The scoring goes for the listening if you get 39-40 correct it's a band 9, 37-38 band 8.5, 35-36 band 8, 32-34 band 7.5, 30-31 band 7.

The reading (general) is 40 correct it's a band 9, 39 band 8.5, 37-38 band 8, 36 band 7.5, 34-35 band 7.

Thats what I found on the internet anyhow.

Keep practicing, it does get better I found and try not to loose concentration that's my worst problem especially in the listening.

Edited by mintpro
Added text

I'd have to say not given from what info you give. They say only and they don't give any information on other players.

The scoring goes for the listening if you get 39-40 correct it's a band 9, 37-38 band 8.5, 35-36 band 8, 32-34 band 7.5, 30-31 band 7.

The reading (general) is 40 correct it's a band 9, 39 band 8.5, 37-38 band 8, 36 band 7.5, 34-35 band 7.

Thats what I found on the internet anyhow.

Keep practicing, it does get better I found and try not to loose concentration that's my worst problem especially in the listening.

Is that the same for general? As I can only find highest mark as a 7 for general. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places

Mintpro anothe one for you

Classify the types of extinguishers which should be used on fires in the following situations.

FIRE EXTINGUISHERS AND THEIR USES [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=align: left] RED[/TD]

[TD=align: left] BLUE[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Use on paper, wood, textiles.

Do not use on electrical equipment or flammable liquids.[/TD]

[TD] Use on any small fire.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left] CREAM[/TD]

[TD=align: left] BLACK[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Use on flammable liquids and vehicle fires as well as paper, wood, textiles.

Use on electrical equipment as well as flammable liquids and gases.[/TD]

[TD] Use on electrical equipment as well as flammable liquids and gases.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Answer the questions below by writing the correct letters, A-E, in boxes 1-4 on your answer sheet. [TABLE=class: precontent, width: 400]

[TR]

[TD]Write[/TD]

[TD]A if only cream or black should be used[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]B if only cream or red should be used[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]C if only blue or black should be used[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]D if only cream, red or blue should be used[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD]E if only red or black should be used[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Write the correct letter, A-E, in boxes 5-8 on your answer sheet.

NB You may use any letter more than once.

5 a plug in its socket C (I would have thought cream could also be used on this) so could be A or am i just not seeing something

6 a large industrial oil spill A

7 a frying pan of cooking oil on an electric cooker C (I would have thought cream could also be used on this) so could be A or am i just not seeing something

8 the edge of a curtain D

I have to admit that's a hard one for this time of morning (I'm in New Zealand). Is this an academic test or general? If you only need to do a general test and hopefully this is the academic reading and your reading test will be easier.

Should the bold text underneath cream be there. It doesn't make sense its the same as the black extinguisher? The correct answers (C, A, C and D) only make sense if that's a typo.

Sorry I opted out of a tutor to do my own study. Exam on Saturday, fingers crossed it works out

I have to admit that's a hard one for this time of morning (I'm in New Zealand). Is this an academic test or general? If you only need to do a general test and hopefully this is the academic reading and your reading test will be easier.

Should the bold text underneath cream be there. It doesn't make sense its the same as the black extinguisher? The correct answers (C, A, C and D) only make sense if that's a typo.

Sorry I opted out of a tutor to do my own study. Exam on Saturday, fingers crossed it works out

I was wondering if it should be there myself, however in the real world I would not use a cream fire extinguisher on an electrical fire as it has water in it, water and electrics are not the best mix in the real world but then this is IELTS world. It is the general test believe it or not. I also have my test Saturday and tried practicing the speaking test with one of my office staff. Failed terribly and felt a bit weird and embarrassing if I am honest. Expecting a miserable fail but I can retake in March, May have to try and find a study buddy.