Thinking of moving from Cumbria England to Perth!!!!!!!

Sami

Hi All,

Just after an general advice really, me and my husband are thinking of moving to Perth with our two children (age 4&6).

We are a bit worried about getting jobs and the cost of living. He is a pipe fitter and I am just completing my Social Work degree.

Also worried about moving the kids half way around the world!

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Guest guest9824

Hi Sami, welcome to PP, lots of people here to help, listen, encourage. It's a big step and a huge leap of faith in yourselves that will get you here. Nothing in life is easy, sometimes you just have to take the big steps, it can be a rollercoaster of emotions, but with a forum like this, you can ask lots of different things, sound off when you are frustrated or feeling low, or just post your great news when your big steps come to fruition.

best of luck and ask away...

pea

Guest guest9824
Thanks :) one of my questions is whats the cost of housing? I've looked on the internet but first hand rough price would be nice, would have to be in a nice area with at least 2 beds, just looking at renting to start with. thanks

Sami, the median house price in Perth is between $530,00 and $535,000 which is quite high. Units where I live are that price and more for a 3x1 or 2 bath, no garden, it varies from suburb to suburb, obviously the further away from the city you live, the cheaper it will be. Depends what you want, beach life, hills or inland. Check out realestate.com.au very helpful.

pea

Thanks :) one of my questions is whats the cost of housing? I've looked on the internet but first hand rough price would be nice, would have to be in a nice area with at least 2 beds, just looking at renting to start with. thanks

domin.com.au is a great site, unfortunately I have the domain app and spend half my life looking at homes down under!

where are you living, we're in Cumbria too-validating visa in October unless my oh manages to land a jojo beforehand. good luck in your quest and just ask away, this place is ace!

bean x

ha i might have to get the app too! I've just been looking at houses, renting, doesn't look as bad as expected. Oh wow another Cumbrian! Were in Dalton-in-Furness, whereabouts are you?Were right at the beginning of this whole process, so its nice to have people to ask questions.

Sam x

The first thing to do is research what your income is going to be as this will help establish a budget. The come up with a list of priorities for where you want to live - schools, beach, hills, close to shops and everything else. Then you can either research old posts or just post a new one and people will offer advice.

Generally, the more affordable areas are away from the city centre. Most newer houses are 4 bedrooms.

I agree with what others have said. There are a few threads where people has asked about cost of living, so take a look, I know I've given a rough breakdown of our costs that we see. Don't be put off however, you can live here at a reasonable cost, I know we do, you just need to be careful.

AS for house prices the good news here is that there is a huge spread of prices, more so than I"ve seen elsewhere, and you can't generalise to good / bad areas. For comparison we like in Orelia, which is seen as a poorer area, and we have a lovely 3x1 with 800m2 of land. Its got trees all around, and really quiet. We brought 12 months ago for way less than $300K, and even now if you don't mind work, there are houses in the $250-300. $350 buys you a pool as well.

You have to come and look for yourself, as other say, just rent somehwere to start with and then find where you want to live. Two streets in the same town have very different feels, so you cant just choose an area and be done with it.

The positives we feel are worth it. We've had a light sprinkle of rain during 1 night in the last month, and the days have been sunny and warm / hot. We've had family over for the last month, and we've been all over Perth, and there's so much to see and do, that theyve gone away with a very positive viewpoint.

Nick

I think we've had rain here every day for the last few months! Oh god i miss the sun haha. Anyway I've had a good look at job pay, including lower paid roles and the pay is so much better than over here. I've had a look at houses but its so hard to get a feel for the area from the internet so I think when we get that far I will look for more advice!

Has anyone emigrated with young children and were they apprehensive about the move and how do they feel now there out there? Sam x

Hi Sami, this is my first post on here but I have been avidly searching threads and reading the advice on here and feel much more informed than I did a month ago. My wife and I have just returned from a 3 week adventure exploring Perth with our 5 children....travel was far less arduous than I anticipated, singapore airlines were great and we absolutely fell in love with the place so are exploring all options on how to get there so after 2 years of dreaming ! Bit of an uphill battle for us as I'm not on the list but I've found a lady at gomatilda.com very helpful and prompt in advising us on possible options - that was one contact recommended on here. Our children range from 3 to 12 and the older ones were more reluctant about the place to start with ( friends at home more important at that age!) But by the end no-one wanted to leave - so much to see and do + outdoors life is great. Even dragged my reluctant daughters to their first ever cricket game at the waca ... Avid Perth scorcher fans and cricket lovers now! Theres a downunder live thing going on at Glasgow on 22nd feb that we are going to so might be worth trying that out too for advice. Anyway best of luck!

Thanks were going to go to the downunder live next year as were not in a position to leave asap as like you my husband is not on the skills list (used to be but its changed) however I am just completing a degree in social work which is on the skills list I just need to get some experience first! But thanks anyway as its now in our heads for next year! This forum is a massive help as I've learnt so much already :)

Hi just new to all this and couldn't find how to start a new post.

My partner & I are seriously thinking of moving to Perth. We have friends who stay there and they will let us stay there until we find our feet. My partner is a Site Supervisor (plumber to trade). I'm an account manager.

Are there any plumbers out there that have any good advice for us?

I realise he would need to retrain for a wa licence etc. Would finding work be hard? Our friends are doing really well and keep telling us to give it a go. Life is too short & I don't want to have any regrets but I'm nervous about making a decision.

Hi Sami, we have moved from Barrow in Furness this January 14th we arrived with a 5 year old son and 2 year old daughter. Happy to help with your queries. Kids get used to very quickly. Its us parents worrying about kids. Mine settled very well.

All the best.

Where in Cumbria if you don't mind me asking?