ielts test passed 8.5

jimjim007

Thanks it is a relief to get the score i needed otherwise i would have to nominate a region to get extra 10 pionts, that would of been last resort just to get there

EOI has been lodged today anyone know how long it mite take to hear back for a 189.

Next round of invitations for 189 is 10th March.

Jim what did you do to get a better score ? i have got all the marks needed apart from a 7.5 in reading, i am going to ask for a re mark but want to start doing things to retake, i have time as skills assessment not lodges yet and next skill practical will not be until the summer.

Thanks

Jim what did you do to get a better score ? i have got all the marks needed apart from a 7.5 in reading, i am going to ask for a re mark but want to start doing things to retake, i have time as skills assessment not lodges yet and next skill practical will not be until the summer.

Thanks

That's a shame Jason, james had to resit the exam again to get the scores he needed, I think the only other way you can do is ask them to re check the exam but I'm not sure if they can the reading, we were so annoyed at having to pay again, it's not cheap

Hi Jim

Well done and sounds like exciting times ahead!

My husband is taking his IELTS on Saturday for the first time and he needs to get an 8+ too, so wondered if you'd be kind enough to share some tips with us? ie what was different second time around and what improvements did you make to get the higher scores?

Thanks and all the best in your next stages of the application process!

Marie & Kev

Hi marie

The first time i took the test i thought it would be easy so i did no prep work at all i didnt even know the format for each test, being to confident was my biggest mistake, i just didnt have enough time in each part of the test.

For me you dont have much time to waste in the test even the second time when i had the score i needed.

My advice is do as many online tests as you can ( loads of free ones i didnt have to pay for any just use google ) even my oh did a few and she found a good tip for listening test, when doing test read questions and underline key words near spaces for answer this makes it easier as you just listen out for key word worked for me anyway

Reading you just need to make sure to intetpret questions the right way, there is a part that can comes up true false or not given i found these tricky.

Writing its is important not to go off topic and use at least the amount of words required ( 150 words task one 250 task two, task two carries more mark )

Speaking only thing i can advise here is part of the test involves speaking about a topic that they choose for two min, marks can be lost if you dont talk for the full two so make notes when they give you the chance.

A bit of luck is needed to :)

I hope this can help with the test ( if you dont have laptop borrow one practise is a must my laptop is very slow so had to borrow one )

Hi Jim

Well done and sounds like exciting times ahead!

My husband is taking his IELTS on Saturday for the first time and he needs to get an 8+ too, so wondered if you'd be kind enough to share some tips with us? ie what was different second time around and what improvements did you make to get the higher scores?

Thanks and all the best in your next stages of the application process!

Marie & Kev

Hi Marie,

It's a couple of years since I sat my IELTS test. I found the writing section the hardest one to get the timings right. I answered task 2 first as it is worth more (or was when I did it). I spent the first 3 minutes or so planning my answer (introduction, main, conclusion etc.) Make sure your husband includes plenty of connective words e.g furthermore, in addition, however, whereas etc.

Sorry if you already know this. Hope this helps and good luck to your husband and anyone else sitting their IELTS soon.

Dave