Trying to budget for our move to Perth. PLEASE HELP!

TheMackemSlayer

Guest Guest6235
I've contributed several times to cost of living breakdowns, typically I've come in at the low end of the budget.

Some thoughts / ideas for you.

1) Don't get hooked into furnished accomodation. With the number of people who move in / out of WA, then there's alot of good 2nd hand furniture going cheap / free. We picked up wardrobes, couches etc for nothing. Non furnished is alot cheaper - try gumtree. The rental market here is weaker now, so there's more available, which is in your favour.

2) Cars arent expensive here alot of the time. Use Gumtree and you'll be really surprised. My cheapest was an $800 dollar ute, which we spent a further $300 on, and have since moved house, picked up mulch, bricks, firewood, furniture etc etc, so has paid for itself many times over. Budget $2K for something perfectly good and reliable.

3) Our bills are, Gas $60/month, Elec $60/month, internet $70/month, Mobile phones (two) $100/month, and water $60/month. For rental properties you don't pay rates, the landlord does that. Petrols around $1.50/litre. Food can be expensive, use places like spudshed, which has lower mark-ups on fruit / veg, and buy whats in season, when its really cheap. We still spend around $150/week .

We don't have aircon, or foxtel TV, and have a wood heater for heating the house. We do live pretty simply, but thats out of choice, and these bills relefct that way of life. If you want to run aircon, a pool, and drive newer cars then the costs go up alot.

My only other comment is although Mandruah is nice, you should also try and place yourself where the work is. Communting can be expensive here, so you may want to look further at where industry is, as Mandurah isnt (to my knowledge) high in industry.

The lifestyle here we find fantastic, so try and go for it if you can, my hope is that this will give you a feel for a lower cost lifestyle.

Nick

Hi Nic,

Just a quick reply to say I like this post and it gives my wife and I hope for when we come over to Perth with our 1 year old daughter. I feel so many on here say it's expensive which I'm sure they are right but it's how individuals live their life. We are a bit like you maybe in that we don't want an extravagant lifestyle like going for meals and spending money on alcohol, apart from the odd beer. We have been speaking to somebody over in Perth who moved from the UK last year and this is the monthly breakdown that he has given us, do you think it's about right. I know you have posted some figures but I have added some extra's.

Thanks in advance.

Electric - $160

Gas - $100

Water - $55

Rent - $1700

Food - $450

Mobile x2 - $180

Contents Insurance - $120

Landline - $60

Medicare - $80 (or whatever you want to pay)

Internet - $60

Petrol - $120

Car Insurance - $75

Guest Guest6235
Hi ,

We too are heading to mandurah and my husband is also a welder by trade, last week he was on seek.com.au and found a few positions for welders in the manduarh / peel area which hasnt been the case in the past. My husband has looked at fifo although this would be the other option to not being able to secure work in Mandurah or surrounding areas.

We have a 4 yr old ethan hes 5 in july so he too will be school age when we arrive i have today sent an email to mandurah primary school to get some feedback on how the schooling works out there and i will let you know when i get a response. We also have a baby on the way so i have looked at child care and in madurah there is a childcare centre called jack and Gill and this looks great for babies, obviously comes at a cost of up to $65 dollars per day and open from 6am untill 6pm.

We are too in process of trying to estimate a time to exit for WA although finnaces will be our deciding factor. We had a quote to ship all our furniture last week whcih was costed at £3,300 and thats 3 bedroom house trampoline and huge BBQ, tools, bikes etc whcih i thought was pretty good.

Flights are coming up at £2000 one way for two adults a child and an infant.

We will need stay with friends for first few weeks untill we can secure a short term rental so we too need to cost for this and bond and bills.

we would need to get a car asap and my husband is hoping to get a motor bike for back and forth to work.

we are hoping to take anything from £20,000 pounds for the above costs.

Thanks kayli

Hi Kayli,

What company did you get your quote from for shipping as that seems really cheap. We had a quote this week from Crown and they quoted £4800 for a 20x8 container.

Thanks

Keith

Hi Nic,

Just a quick reply to say I like this post and it gives my wife and I hope for when we come over to Perth with our 1 year old daughter. I feel so many on here say it's expensive which I'm sure they are right but it's how individuals live their life. We are a bit like you maybe in that we don't want an extravagant lifestyle like going for meals and spending money on alcohol, apart from the odd beer. We have been speaking to somebody over in Perth who moved from the UK last year and this is the monthly breakdown that he has given us, do you think it's about right. I know you have posted some figures but I have added some extra's.

Thanks in advance.

Electric - $160

Gas - $100

Water - $55

Rent - $1700

Food - $450

Mobile x2 - $180

Contents Insurance - $120

Landline - $60

Medicare - $80 (or whatever you want to pay)

Internet - $60

Petrol - $120

Car Insurance - $75

i would say some are overbudget and some under, but every family is different! We are a family of two adults and an almost four year old.

ours are

elec $60

gas $50

water $20 (only usage if you rent and its cheap!!)

contract phones - $80 for two iphone 4 with virgin

contents insurance - paid annually i think it was $150 for the year? Not sure where he got $120 a month! Does he have a mansion and a boat???

internet and phone $60 (iinet, telstra is a rip off, we were paying $115!)

foxtel $99 (luxury purely for sport and uktv channel!)

health insurance $51 a month (medicare is free, we only have extras cover, not hospital)

petrol - oh drives more and spends around $150-$200 a month, i spend $100 or less a month

car insurance - for one car $60 a month, my cheapy car was around $400 for the annual premium i think.

food - we spend between $130 and $180 a week. depending if we have lots of things to get, buy meat or not etc, again this is so personal you wont really know til you try it, and it will take a while to suss out whats good or not, and whats cheap or not. Our first shop was well over $200 and i was freaking out but now i know my shops and my brands its much more manageable.

i would say some are overbudget and some under, but every family is different! We are a family of two adults and an almost four year old.

ours are

elec $60

gas $50

contents insurance - paid annually i think it was $150 for the year? Not sure where he got $120 a month! Does he have a mansion and a boat???

health insurance $51 a month (medicare is free, we only have extras cover, not hospital)

petrol - oh drives more and spends around $150-$200 a month, i spend $100 or less a month

car insurance - for one car $60 a month, my cheapy car was around $400 for the annual premium i think.

food - we spend between $130 and $180 a week. depending if we have lots of things to get, buy meat or not etc, again this is so personal you wont really know til you try it, and it will take a while to suss out whats good or not, and whats cheap or not. Our first shop was well over $200 and i was freaking out but now i know my shops and my brands its much more manageable.

hi lozzachino, hope you don't mind me asking. We are moving over in 6 weeks and plan is to stay in Duncraig which is not far from you. I just wondered if you'd mind sharing the places you do your food shopping? OH is in Perth and is always saying how expensive Coles is, so would be good to know the tricks of where to go before we arrive! We are a family of 4, two girls age 5 and 2.

Thanks Susan

Guest Guest6235

ours are

elec $60

gas $50

Many thanks for this it's much the same give or take $200/300. Looking back on the messages he sent me it's actually $500 p/w rent he pays for a 4x2 but said you could get ones for 400-450 which are still nice, he is in Yanchep.

I was actually looking at Duncraig last night, is it a nice area.

Keith

• 5 weeks later...