Northern suburbs, butler etc

G'day,

My wife & I have just got our PR visa & are now looking to buy a home, we currently rent in Heathridge & have lived at banksia grove.

We are looking to spend $500K & would like to be able to walk to the train station & walk to a tavern/shops.

Don't want to commute more than 30mins to work in Landsdale & Butler seems to be the ideal choice although we have been put off by scare stories if hoons, bogans & apparently there is 1 in 12 homes that are homes west in Butler.

Anyone got any other helpful advice?

Butler is a great place to live but like anywhere you will find 'some idiots', unfortunately.

But here's the good news.....

In a few months there will be a new place to meet folk in and around Butler....

Dome Cafe Butler will be opening and I look forward to seeing all PP folk there....

Sorry but couldn't let this one pass...... Again lol :laugh:

No doubt dome will improve the area dramatically, but i am glad we are not there anymore. The story of 120 youths fighting in the streets recently and attacking a girl with a metal pipe was awful. You dont get that everywhere.

however with a budget under $500k i would think it would fit that requirement.

Butler is a great place to live but like anywhere you will find 'some idiots', unfortunately.

But here's the good news.....

In a few months there will be a new place to meet folk in and around Butler....

Dome Cafe Butler will be opening and I look forward to seeing all PP folk there....

Sorry but couldn't let this one pass...... Again lol :laugh:

so does that mean we a PP discount in Dome :biggrin:

Turned into a pointless post

Yes sorry you are quite right.....

Although we don't live in Butler, we live nearby in Quinns, I frequently use the local amenities, pub, shops, bank etc and I have no issues with the place, it's shiny / new with a pretty good rep with regards to schools. There was an incident last week, which has already been pointed out, where basically an 18th birthday house party got out of hand. IMO this incident is not representative of the area and could have happened anywhere TBH and I think news reporters thrive on sensationalism over here in W.A.

Guest guest9824

...and, as we saw the other weekend on a visit, the new train and bus depot is almost ready, it looks very good and will be a great lifeline to many in that area. As Rob says it's new and shiny, clean and pleasing to the eye. The reports of there being a brawl last weekend, aren't necessarily the norm for that area, can't say as I have heard of anything like that before, but don't live there so don't really know. It does feel a long way away from the city to me, that's my only criticism,many don't seem to find that a problem.

Its not the first incident like that i read about, there were several similar ones although granted, not on the scale of the latest incident. Apparently 40 african youths attempted to crash a party, were denied entrance by the hired bouncers and ended up going on the rampage. Then approx 80 white youths started fighting with them and turned into a brawl, police arrived quickly and split them up.

there was one in kinross which made the news as well, but then i was told that its a regular hotspot of trouble, where that particular incident happened. Apparently it was a house which has been causing trouble for years, dad in prison. Three teenage sons run wild. So really, i would say do the research on the street and surroundings, a whole area can be lovely but one street may be the trouble spot and drag the rest of the place down.

i know a friend who was househunting in butler, ridgewood, clarkson etc. she phoned up about a house, and estate agent asked if she had kids, because the house was in a street that had a known drug dealing house on it, and the agent said he could not on good conscience sell them the house if they had a family. Thought that was pretty impressive for an estate agent!

Turned into a pointless post

no sorry, we are having a laugh at Rob as he is opening a coffee house there.

I will be living in Jindalee the beach side Marmion ,after the shops Butler.As much as people put areas down by listening to gossip and the news nobody would ever live anywhere. There are good and bad people wherever you live, many well off people take drugs "cause they are bored many poor people take drugs to escape.Feel lucky you or your family do not get into that "place" in life. I have visited and have never seen any issues with this area It has a lovely lake and parks, schools seem good.THe new train station will add to the area making it easier to get a seat in the rush hour to the city. It all depends how often you will visit the city.

You will find good streets and bad streets anywhere and like someone else has said WA news sensationlize everything as nothing much happens, the papers tell you about every small thing that happens again as not much happens. So personally I would say do not worry and look in an area where you can get more for your money.

and enjoy your new home.

I thought Homes West issue maps detailing where their houses are located. I certainly came across one when I was looking at new developments SOR. It may be worth finding out where they are located and whether there is a concentration of them in any particular street. At least then you'd be making an informed decision when you come to buy.

Guest guest9824

Many suburbs have homeswest housesmixed in with private dwellings, some suburbs have clusters of specifically built homeswest homes too, some for the elderly as well as young people.

Edited by guest9824

• 4 months later...
G'day,

My wife & I have just got our PR visa & are now looking to buy a home, we currently rent in Heathridge & have lived at banksia grove.

We are looking to spend $500K & would like to be able to walk to the train station & walk to a tavern/shops.

Don't want to commute more than 30mins to work in Landsdale & Butler seems to be the ideal choice although we have been put off by scare stories if hoons, bogans & apparently there is 1 in 12 homes that are homes west in Butler.

Anyone got any other helpful advice?

What was Banksia Grove like?

We are arriving on the 20th of September, we are looking around quinns for a 3 week holiday let as it appears to be central to many nice areas. Alkimos looks nice too, any tips on places to check out when we arrive? As we will have 3 weeks to find an area we like, commit to a long term rental and get our daughter in school. The school bit is the most stressful as we don't want to take her out of school once she has started. The way i understand it is if we moved areas she would need to move schools.... can't put her through that, hard enough leaving her friends here in the UK.

Edited by mrogers

Alkimos is a building site. Will be nice when its all done and has shops, schools etc, but personally I wouldnt live there just now, especially if I was just coming into the country. Will take you around 20 minutes just to get to the Freeway. I live in an older suburb (NOR), not everyones taste but I have everything near by, 5 minutes to the freeway, shopping centre, Beach. Good school. If you want to be more central try further down around Woodvale, Kingsley, etc until you get to know the area and can decide if you want to live further out. Also depends on where you are going to work, if you get a job in Fremantle for example would be a very long commute!