dental costs

nollie

Have just got back from the dentist with my daughter, she will need teeth extraction and heavy braces for a good three years, any ideas on the cost of this in Australia???? its all free here, and I am worrying what price we will be looking at in Australia to continue her care???

A friends daughter had 2 teeth removed and a chain inserted into the roof of her mouth (to help move two teeth) and braces, she was $10,000+

Sorry just reread your post. If your daughter has her extractions and braces done in the UK then you'd obviously only be paying for tightening/repairs etc in Australia, so not as expensive as $10K :)

Edited by Wimpy69

Almost no dental care is covered by Medicare in Australia. Your best bet is to research various private health insurance companies and to get some quotes on rates. Their co-payments and statements of what is/isn't covered are freely available online. There are also waiting times, and some are longer than others (some are up to a year!). Do your research early! :-)

My sister arrived in Oz 2 years ago, since then she got a jaw surgery and then braces, from what I've heard it wasn't a fortune at all with private insurance. The surgery would have cost 8000 Oz bucks, but she paid about 90. Yes, that's right, not even 100. I don't know how much she paid for the rest, but it wasn't expensive at all.

Her braces are coming off in 2 days, so after 2 years she's done with them. Teeth all aligned now.

Guest Guest6235
My sister arrived in Oz 2 years ago, since then she got a jaw surgery and then braces, from what I've heard it wasn't a fortune at all with private insurance. The surgery would have cost 8000 Oz bucks, but she paid about 90. Yes, that's right, not even 100. I don't know how much she paid for the rest, but it wasn't expensive at all.

Her braces are coming off in 2 days, so after 2 years she's done with them. Teeth all aligned now.

what was her monthly insurance payment though?

what was her monthly insurance payment though?

$308.

@lozzachino : I'm not familiar with some expressions or the Oz healthcare system, but what does "lifetime limit (of $1300)" mean?

@Daveakaginge : "Want it all" ? I hope every service has a fixed price, x, y or z, and the dentist may want as much as he/she likes, why does it matter what my private medical insurance card says?

So yes, I'm a noob regarding these things, that's why I ask. Hoping to get some good, clear answers.

lifetime limit means the most you can claim for each person for that category, in this case orthodontics, is $1300.

usually there is an annual limit too, around $500. so once you have claimed $1300 you can never claim orthodontics again.

would love to know which provider she was with that paid out completely for orthodontics. but i guess at $308 a month she will be paying $8k eventually - $308 over a year is almost $3700. i would rather save that and if i ever needed it i could use it, otherwise if you dont need it, all that money is in your pocket instead of tied up in a policy that you wont ever get back.

but thats the way insurance works, plays on your fears of 'what if'! only you can decide what you are prepared to cover in your policy, or what you would pay for privately should the need arise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We had my sons brace fitted in the UK before coming out. We then had great difficultly finding a dentist that would adjust as they all quoted they don't use that type of brace but would remove & refit ($8 -10,000) in the end we did find a guy in Whitfords. $250 a time to adjust & $1500 to remove (we did leave the brace an additional 2 months to fit in with a UK holiday) & had it removed there free of charge, so all in all we were quite lucky. Dental & health is expensive here, NHS all is forgiven !

• 1 month later...

I do feel for you and your predidament, We are due to emigrate in November and was hoping our son would have braces fitted and done by then, he has to have braces and i'm scared of the costs of this to he needs extraction braces on the bottom after a year, extraction of tooth and traintracks.. What plan would cover childs braces?

• 3 months later...

Dental cavities can cost up to 100 bucks per tooth thats SA prices, and all prices in all states are nearly the same maybe 10 to 5 dollars difference. If the tooth has too many dental cavities, he will ask you if you want it extracted (Ripped out)

Source : Yahoo Answer

Dental cavities can cost up to 100 bucks per tooth thats SA prices, and all prices in all states are nearly the same maybe 10 to 5 dollars difference. If the tooth has too many dental cavities, he will ask you if you want it extracted (Ripped out)

Source : Yahoo Answer

Double that price for WA.