House Building Queries - Open Thread

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Looks lovely.

To to do an owner build you will need to get licensed. There are some courses out there. Another option is to use a normal project builder but customise it to suit. You can make massive changes and they don't charge - our place looks nothing like what any of the builders regular plans, for example all the back of the house is glass.

We opted for a builder build. Plunketts, up in Alkimos Beach. Blocks are small, but costal. Designed the house for us to get older in rather than for a family, cos I'm ancient at 50 and daughter knows it all at 17 :) Please feel free to check out Duffield Towers 2.0 FB page to follow the progress. Oh and feel free to like the page :)

Edited by portlaunay
FB link removed

Just ben thru this thread, some very nice builds here, well done to all.

I am thinking of doing my own Owner Build some time next year.

So far its just a piece of land with a lot of bush in it.

Wow i must say edna … what a large area of land you have !!!! ENJOY ;o)

We opted for a builder build. Plunketts, up in Alkimos Beach. Blocks are small, but costal. Designed the house for us to get older in rather than for a family, cos I'm ancient at 50 and daughter knows it all at 17 :) Please feel free to check out Duffield Towers 2.0 FB page to follow the progress. Oh and feel free to like the page :)

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get mortgage-finance for a builder build, hence why I am going to try and do the build myself, will save up a few pennies first.

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get mortgage-finance for a builder build, hence why I am going to try and do the build myself, will save up a few pennies first.

Be aware it is often actually significantly more expensive to self build. The regs here are very different and obviously purchasing power is very different between an individual and a big company. Our next door neighbour self built and it came out about 50% more expensive. Though, it can mean spreading the costs over a bigger period of time as the build time is up to you.