Process of renting/cost?

shelz

Hello,

We will be looking for a long term rental from 8th January 2016 and been looking on realestate.au - it does highlight how much the bond is, but not how much rent upfront is in addition to this?

What is the norm? I should have a job contract by then and commence work on 4th January? So will be able to provide some evidence that I am earning.

Thanks in advance :-)

Hi @shelz,

When we rented our house we paid two weeks rent upfront as well as the bond.

We had to provide copys of passports, driving license, payslips, bank statements and medicare cards. They tend to have a 100 point system with various types of documentation listed with a points value. You just need to make up the 100 points.

I hadn't started working at the time but they said they would accept a copy of my contract as confirmation of income. Not sure if this is relevant to all real estates though.

Katie

Thank you for your replies - its really helpful :-)

Mostly appears to be bond plus 2 or 4 weeks/month in addition from your responses - i guess it depends on the agent...

Guess we could email the agent before viewing to ask how much upfront?? Would this be advisable?

Thank you for your replies - its really helpful :-)

Mostly appears to be bond plus 2 or 4 weeks/month in addition from your responses - i guess it depends on the agent...

Guess we could email the agent before viewing to ask how much upfront?? Would this be advisable?

Each property might be different due to the landlord and their request. I can't see it being more than 4 weeks as the rental market is a little slower now (before people were offering several months in advance to secure properties). I'd look at 4 week being your maximum and budget around that.

It's 4 weeks maximum bond by law in WA. With over 8000 empty properties in Perth you won't have any trouble finding a place plus you should be able to knock them down on the asking price.

Hopefully this does'nt start me daydreaming that I can get a $1000 a week house for $550 lol :-)

How much would you generally reackon we could knock off per week? We have generally been looking between $500-$700 max per week.

hmmm food for thought ...

Go on to realestate.com.au and look in the area you want to go to. Save the ones that you think would be suitable. Keep an eye on them to see how quick they go or don't go. The photos are not always up to date so don't get too carried away. When you get here you can have a look at the ones still available and make your mind up. If a place you like has been empty for a while try knocking $100 off and go from there.

• 3 weeks later...