Jump to content

Mature student seeking help and advice with settling in Perth.

Steven Norris

Recommended Posts

Hi guys

im coming over to Study Physiotherapy at Curtin University in Perth from England on my own. I’m 36 years young, very much into training and martial arts. I’m considering renting a house or even buying a caravan and renting a power site long term as this may be a cheaper option. I’m only allowed to work 20 hours a week but I’m taking over quite a lot of money from the sale of my house to help with the cost of living. Any help or advice would be much appreciated ?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that you can work more outside of term time - what about a shared house?  The caravan sites that I've seen haven't always been the best and sometimes do double as low cost housing, one of my clients (I work in MH) told me the site he was living on had a drug problem.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hallo Steven and welcome to the forum.

On a student visa you can work for 20 hours during term time, but there is no upper limit during holiday breaks from study.  Hopefully you will be able to find a job that allows you to increase your hours when possible.

As far as accommodation is concerned, as you are going to be attending Curtin University, there is a great deal of student accommodation in all suburbs surrounding the university, and it might be cheaper for you to look into that or to house share.

Caravans can be expensive to buy here and the ground fees at a site per week could be as much as a share rental.  

I suggest that you contact Curtin University as I understand they have a section who can help with student accommodation as a large part of their student enrolment are international students.

Please get back to us and let us know how things are going for you .... just throw any questions at us and we will endeavour to help as much as we can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 29/04/2018 at 12:43, verystormy said:

Be careful of caravan sites close to the city. 

Given you only have a temporary student visa, don't blow your money as you may need it when you return to the UK at the end of your studies. 

Don't blow your money even if you dtay after. Imho except for some startup cash, life in Perth should be supported by the money you make here. Or I would turn around.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...