Advice on what to ship?

Neewbie

Visas finally granted (after 12months of waiting ;)) So now is the BIG move in 7weeks!!

We've only been granted temp 457 so for 2years with "maybe" the potential to extend by another 2 years if position is still on the list. Anyway, hubby and I are in a quandary about what to ship?

Here, we have a 3 bed house, family of 3 (DD), lots of electrical, garden, tools etc.....bikes, dog's being shipped (another story), and we have been given lots of conflicting advice and a difference of opinion as he's in logistics so has an idea of the complications when containers are held at customs!

Advice required.....

is it really best to pay a removals company or could I do packing and manifest myself?

is it just less hassle to just sell everything up here and start again in WA? and if/when we have to rtn just face that we will have to start all over again!!

Or....

Put all but required items in storage in the UK?

Any advice or personal scenarios would be greatly received.

?

• Like 1

Can only speak for ourselves - we used John Masons, it took them two and a half days to pack and load/transport to the docks and they worked liked trojans.  You may find that you don't have a lot of time to organise in 7 weeks and may not even be able to get a container on a ship (we booked our date several months in advance).

I guess your dilemma is that your move is only a temporary one - are you renting out your home? You could do that fully furnished

My big regret is not bringing as much as we could. Sure, clear out your old junk, but bring all your pots and pans and kichen stuff, power tools, hand tools, jars of nuts and bolts and all the other useful stuff you have accumulated over time.

It hurts like mad when you have to buy a new adjustable spanner for double what you would pay in the UK, knowing that you sold a perfectly good one at a boot sale for under a quid just before you left.

Thanks pep's, much appreciated info. 

I'm in the mind to bring everything (within reason), but still questioning washing machine and our tv's? I read somewhere to buy a front loading washing machine cost a fortune. 

Did anyone have problems with their container not passing customs due to certain items? Bike tyres etc.

Also, we are  packing ourselves, has anyone got any advice on what information is required on the 'manifest' for packing boxes etc. 

22 hours ago, Neewbie said:

I'm in the mind to bring everything (within reason), but still questioning washing machine and our tv's? I read somewhere to buy a front loading washing machine cost a fortune. 

Check out Harvey Norman and the Good Guys as they sell TV's, washing machines etc. You'll get an idea of the cost to buy new ones. For our shipping we were only bringing around half a container and paying for volume. So by the time we did the maths on buying new units versus paying for, and waiting X months for, old stuff we decided to not bring white goods. Your maths/situation may differ. Also throw in that should your white goods need repair/service you may find it difficult to get that done. And if anything breaks you may find warranty claims a challenge.

That said, your washer and TV should work fine with a change of mains plug (there's some fluff written about only licensed electricians being allowed to change plugs, I'm not sure how true that is, I could never find a clear answer). But if you're bringing anything with a UK plug, also bring some of those 4-way strips (then you just have to change one plug et voila, 4 UK-plugged items have power). Your TV will likely have a setting in its setup menus to switch it to Australia. But unless it's a very old TV it'll pick up channels just fine. If you'll be plugging it in to Foxtel or some other Set Top Box that may not be a concern

22 hours ago, Neewbie said:

Did anyone have problems with their container not passing customs due to certain items? Bike tyres etc.

Our mover was very clear that we had to be meticulous with bikes and their tyres. Like, make sure there is not a single spot of dirt anywhere. So we were. No hassle with stuff getting through (other than how long it took).

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:23, Neewbie said:

Thanks pep's, much appreciated info. 

Also, we are  packing ourselves, has anyone got any advice on what information is required on the 'manifest' for packing boxes etc. 

Can't help with the manifest - our shippers did our packing.  I did hear that self packed containers come under more scrutiny at dock - but don't know if that's true or a bit of scaremongery 

We brought a washing machine and a tumble dryer both lasted quite a few years before needing new ones (in fact we've been here 11 years and only replaced our washer about 5 years ago).

Do make sure everything is spotlessly clean - I did read on the forum a long time ago that someone got charged for their kids bike for dirt on the wheels - they think it had happened by wheeling it to the container and it picked up some surface dirt.

We've just sent our stuff over via SevenSeas move cube service so did all the packing and manifest ourselves and they just pack it in the cube and send it off. 

Definitely agree with the cleaning comments - we scrubbed my partners bike wheels with Jayes fluid and a toothbrush to try and make sure there was nothing there. fingers crossed it gets let in! 

We sent our washing machine over too but ditched the dryer and other white goods (they were built ins so went with the house sale). Sent my vaccuum over too but I'm not hopeful of actually getting that back even though I took it apart and cleaned every inch (took a good 3 hours). depends how much time you want to commit to really. 

For the manifest, the example sheet they gave us was pretty basic e.g. Item 1 - Brown Box - Books, Item 2 - Bedside Table - wooden etc. I would advise keeping anything they might check to one side and putting all together in one box to make things easier.