Skills Assessment done. What next?

Aaron

Hi Guys, 

I have got my skills assessment done by the Australian computer society. They have issued me a result letter that says I have almost 10 years of IT experience for the purposes of migrating as a Test Engineer. What is the next step? Should I get a migration agent, or is it just as easy to do it myself? Appreciate your responses. Thanks. 

Aaron

Hi very stormy thank you for your response!

Yes good news is I have found a local migration agent who has agreed to point me in the right direction free of charge! The reason being he’s busy moving house at the moment and so currently has no office. He’s the only registered migration agent in Belfast. This was quite a surprise to me to be honest! Not sure if there are other ones in Northern Ireland. 

No I haven’t done the English language test yet. Is this something I ought to study for if English is my first language? I presume I’ll get maximum points since I’m reasonably well educated.

Yes, you should study for it. I have seen even teachers fail more than once. Also, the visa process is a sort of competition, with those that have the highest points being invited first and the lowest points potentially never getting invited. So, getting as many points as possible from things like ILETS is important. 

21 hours ago, Aaron said:

Hi very stormy thank you for your response!

Yes good news is I have found a local migration agent who has agreed to point me in the right direction free of charge! The reason being he’s busy moving house at the moment and so currently has no office. He’s the only registered migration agent in Belfast. This was quite a surprise to me to be honest! Not sure if there are other ones in Northern Ireland. 

No I haven’t done the English language test yet. Is this something I ought to study for if English is my first language? I presume I’ll get maximum points since I’m reasonably well educated.

I love this !!!     "I presume I’ll get maximum points since I’m reasonably well educated." ...... Those that know - know 😏

Based on the fact you dis your skills assessment before mnowing what to do and your assumption the test is easy, I would suggest hiring an agent ASAP.

It's nlt a judgement about you personally, it is just a recipe for things going wrong due to ignorance about the subject and a small mistake could cost you your visa.

You can do it yourself though, we did and many others, and I found the skills assessment the hardest part. But it took a lot of time to get all the knowledge to do and understand the visa application (process) properly.

Hi guys! Thank you so much for all the responses. Just a quick question.

How much should I pay for a registered migration agent? Could anyone recommend one in the UK that is good value and service? I’m just weary of getting ripped off.

Cheers!

Aaron 

On 07/07/2019 at 08:15, FOL said:

Based on the fact you dis your skills assessment before mnowing what to do and your assumption the test is easy, I would suggest hiring an agent ASAP.

It's nlt a judgement about you personally, it is just a recipe for things going wrong due to ignorance about the subject and a small mistake could cost you your visa.

You can do it yourself though, we did and many others, and I found the skills assessment the hardest part. But it took a lot of time to get all the knowledge to do and understand the visa application (process) properly.

ugh typo's...stupid phone. Can't even edit the post any more 😛

Hi guys! Thank you so much for all the responses. Just a quick question.

How much should I pay for a registered migration agent? Could anyone recommend one in the UK that is good value and service? I’m just weary of getting ripped off.

Cheers!

Aaron 

heard from some others a few grant 2k-4k (in euros) I thought. (sorry very generic answer)

I have got I touch with a MARA registered migration agent because he is busy moving house at the moment  he has given me the following guidance informally and free of charge which was very nice of him. 

Hello Aaron,

I have read what you’ve sent to me and if you want to live and work in Perth I think you want to apply for visa Subclass 190.  

This is a permanent visa and is available to somebody doing the job you do.  

It is points based.

You get points for your age, how long you have been doing the work you do, your English language ability, etc.

As you are from Northern Ireland I am assuming you have either one of or perhaps both a United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland passport.  Either of these can be used to show that you are competent in English, but really you want as many points as you can get.  

To get more points you can do an English language test to show you have what is called “Superior English”.  To get these points you need to do either an IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or an (OET) Occupational English Test, or a PTE (Pearson Test of English) test.

IELTS and PTE are available in Belfast, as at the following links:

https://admissiontestportal.com/en/ielts/the-united-kingdom/northern-ireland/belfast/

https://pearsonpte.com/uk/

I have no connection with these bodies and cannot make a recommendation whether you should choose either.  You could make enquiries with both of them (or another IELTS or PTE provider) for an English language test as part of a visa application for Australia.

Once you have your English test results, you will lodge what is called an “Expression of Interest”.  

This is the first stage of the application process for the Subclass 190 visa.

This is where you’re saying that you want to be “invited” to apply for the visa. You can’t apply for this visa unless you’re “invited”.

Your feedback from the Australian Computer Society for your skills assessment, together with your English test results, will be submitted for the “Expression of Interest”.   

There is no fee for lodging an “Expression of Interest”.  It is done online.

If your “Expression of Interest” is approved, you will then be “invited” to apply for your visa.  

To be able to apply for this visa you will need to be “invited” to do so by a specific State or Territory to do so.  If you want to live and work in Perth, you will need Western Australia to invite you.  When you’re submitting your “Expression of Interest” application you will have a chance to confirm which States or Territories you hope will invite you.

In the meantime, while you’re waiting for your English test to be schedule, make sure you have all your educational and professional documents available and up-to-date (degree parchments etc).  When submitting your “Expression of Interest” you will need to confirm all your qualifications.  You will also need your full employment history for the past ten years (position title, employer name and address, dates of employment).  Also, make sure your passport(s) is (are) still current.  You will need to submit all of these things as part of your “Expression of Interest”.

I hope that is of some help.

Regards,