Better to go on UK or Irish passport?

Aaron

Hi there,

I am from Northern Ireland. Due to the good Friday agreement I can apply for either a UK or Irish passport.

I am thinking of applying for migration to Australia. I have been there before on a working holiday visa. I used my UK visa which is about to expire. I have never actually had an Irish passport before, but everyone else in my family have Irish Passports. In addition to that with Brexit and all that going on at the moment I am thinking of applying for an Irish passport as it may be better for travel around Europe (less queuing at airports, access to European health care etc) however my feeling is that the Australian migration people may slightly favour a UK applicant over an Irish applicant. I presume a slight positive bias towards the British rightly or wrongly. This could mean faster processing times, a smoother application process, more likely to be accepted and potentially other things. I base this on the naturally closer cultural similarities between the Aussies and the English (e.g. Love for Cricket, the Queen, Union Jack in flag, Cockney accent, Conservative government backing Brexit etc) and also the slight disdain for the Irish which I encountered over there, particularly when the Irish had a reputation for getting drunk, wrecking the place and working in low skilled jobs. 

Which passport do you think you would use to apply for a long term Australian visa? If you could choose between either British or Irish? My gut feeling (whether I am being technically or politically correct or not) is saying stick with the British passport. What do you guys think?

Appreciate your thoughts,

Aaron

I told my migration agent that I’ve already supplied my UK passport for the skills assessment. He said 

I would prefer that there was consistency in the documents used and referred to for Skills Assessment, Expression of Interest, and visa application, in case it provokes queries and delays.

On 08/08/2019 at 21:01, Aaron said:

I told my migration agent that I’ve already supplied my UK passport for the skills assessment. He said 

I would prefer that there was consistency in the documents used and referred to for Skills Assessment, Expression of Interest, and visa application, in case it provokes queries and delays.

Pick one, stick with it. It's not good practice to do anything that could confuse immigration officials, or lead them to suspect there is anything suspicious in your application.

• Like 1