Wanting to make new friends

well from my experience gosh its hard, The Aussies that are over friendly tend to want to sell you something lol ! had that a few times !  I just think youve really got to put yourself out there .... hard i know,  As sometimes conversation with an Aussie is like getting blood from a stone.  I think the big problem we found is knowone knows your past history ..... old friends know what you've been through.  

I know we met a lot of very very lonely brits , very sad .  But if you are struggling don't be afraid to ask for help, it can be very lonely at times.

School and work helps ..... but if its meant to be it will happen , and a new best friend will pop up soon x

Our closest friends both in the UK and here in Aus were people we met through our children.  You don't say how old your children are - getting talking in the playground, inviting children for a playdate and it progressing to mum and dad being invited.  Joining clubs yourself or the kids being involved in them and you getting to meet other parents.

My suburb has an i love Leeming page on FB - have a look if there's one for Canning Vale - may be worth putting a post out

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your replies.

dont get me wrong I have made some Aussie friends but the group is very ‘clicky’ and that’s just not us.

i love aussies but feel sometimes we are built form different cloth and I guess I’d love to find a Pom to be good friends with.

hope this makes sense, it’s not that I’m choosy but would love to find someone with lots in common I guess.

really appreciate your replies!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It can take a while to find people that you really gel with and become good friends.   I came to WA to be with family, but it still took a couple of years to get to know people well enough to call them friends.    Mostly it was through my children's school friends or their sporting, dancing activities, or through work.  It is so hard to leave all your networks and all those people you have known since you were a child, at school, at work, etc, but it will happen.