Suburbs

ali

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bobcat
Thought it would be helpful if people could post information on the suburb they live in

LEEMING:

Leeming is South of the River, it is approx 14/17 km from the City. It's an older suburb and there aren't alot of new builds, people tend to renovate here. Its mostly middle income families.

Leeming falls into three Shires: City of Cockburn, City of Melville and City of Canning - Melville would like for all of Leeming to come under them.

Median House prices are approx $600,000 (RIWA March 2010)

Nearest train station is Murdoch and it takes about 10 mins by train into the city. 45 mins to Mandurah by Train. Approx 30 mins to the international/domestic airport. 15 mins to Coogee beach, 20 mins to South Beach and Fremantle.

3 state Primary schools, Banksia Park, Leeming Primary and West Leeming (all good reputations), one state High School which includes an educational support centre. They also have an academic extension programme for gifted and talented students. There are private Primary and Secondary Schools in Bateman, Bull Creek and Murdoch.

We've lived here 4 years, we've found it a nice neighbourhood with a low crime rate, it's convenient to most things and has a great community feel

There's a small shopping forum on the doorstep, woolies/coles are 5 - 10 min drive away at Bull Creek, Southlands (also a cinema) and Kardinya. Garden City shopping centre is about 10 -15 mins drive away.

There is a recreation centre, and also. Lakeside Recreation centre is 10 mins away.

Carramar Golf Course Estate, a slightly inland refreshing alternative to the wind-blown suburbs that dot the coastal strip………….. yet only at most; a 10 minute drive to the ocean at nearby Burns Beach.

Boasting a top notch first-class golf course right on its doorstep………. Carramar today offers a fully established family lifestyle that prides itself on community spirit. Less than 10 minutes away from the ocean……….. and only 5 minutes away from the nearby City of Joondalup if the traffic lights are in your favour.

Not quite so isolated now; Carramar is a hub of activity which still has that natural bush feel to it due to an abundance of mature trees and ample parkland dotted up and down the suburb.

When formerly known as Neerabup some 11 years or so ago…………. the Carramar Golf Course Estate was deemed to out in the scrubs far off the beaten track ……. and in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere? Public transport servicing the area was at best……….. abysmal …………. and there was nothing for the kids to do ……….. and no schools local for them to attend in those early 'pioneering' days.

Early purchasers on the estate (myself included who bought right at the beginning in Stage 1); could not help but feel they had dropped a right clanger by buying land in such a remote area…………….. we couldn’t have been further from the truth if we tried!!!

Neerabup soon became Carramar……………….. and eventually the much awaited promised schools became more than a proposal on the drawing board………. and resident’s short term shopping needs were catered for by the purpose-built corner deli/convenience store which became aptly known as the ‘Tucker Shop’ once I sold it to newly arrived English migrants Brian & Ann Tucker.

The advent of St Stephens School brought about a big change to Carramar……… from a seemingly before little unheard of suburb ………….. Carramar soon became a well sought after place to live. Once St Stephens School became a reality……… families flocked to the suburb in droves.

There is an investment protection covenant in place on the Carramar Estate; by which high building standards are maintained thereby enhancing the quality of the estate. Building is already well underway for a new shopping centre complex that is going up just off Cheriton drive, the long awaited Carramar Community Centre is already up and running……… work on a new Tavern & Bottle Shop will be able to commence soon now that all the red tape allowing building of same has been overcome.

To the North East of Carramar plans are afoot to build what will become the now designated Neerabup Industrial Estate; same will ensure significant development takes place in the years to come thereby offering numerous employment possibilities to Carramar residents.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest biancaturner

ILUKA

Iluka is to the north of Perth (about 27 Kms) and is a beachside suburb with lots to offer. there are great walking paths along the beach, plus several beachside parks with showers, toilets and BBQ facilities. There is also Sir James McCusker park which is a beautiful native park wilth large pond, ampitheatre, and kids playground. Iluka is also very close to Joondalup which is a commercial precint with very large and modern shopping centre. It is one of the few shopping centres in Perth which has Sunday trading. There are also a lot of restuarants, university, hospital and cinemas. There are good bus and rail links to Perth. There are very good schools in the area, both private and public and primary and high schools. It is a very friendly area as well, having all the parks and walks makes it easy to get to know people who are local. The amenties of the area are maintained to a very high standard (residents pay extra rates for this). Because of all of its attributes, it is fairly pricey - cheapest rents are at least $700 per week, but in my view, its worth it.

Guest texasaggie

We will be moving to Perth some time in September or October. One of the guys in my husband's office is from Australia. He mentioned that we might like City Beach. Can anyone tell us about this area?

im sure you will like city beach so would most of the population its very expensive !!!see on www.realestate.com.au or www.reiwa.com.au

ooops see your working for chevron , you will love city beach and floreat im sure, also have a look at cottesloe ,and harbour rise at hillarys also east fremantle and have a look near the river south perth , bicton etc

We've been in Perth 30y, lived and visited friends everywhere.

I would not make a drastic distinction between NOR and SOR, you will find good and bad in either, its not that people change as they move NOR...

I will try and write about places I have lived SOR and will start with Spearwood.

30y ago it was already there, we never locked the house, just in case friends came to visit.... you don't do that anymore, but I think that is true for the whole of the world.

Spearwood is a well established area in the hearth of the City of Cockburn, you will find several public and private schools, shopping centres, the largest of which is Phoenix Park.

3 to 5 min drive to beautiful Coogee beach and the new Coogee Marina and 8min to Fremantle.

Major arterial road, Stock Rd, will take you to Rockingham or Canning Hwy quite quickly.

If you need to go to the CBD, you can take the Kwinana freeway and be there in 20m out of peak hours, however you might have to double it if driving in peak hours 7:00 to 9:00 and also coming back from the CBD from 3:30 to 5:30.

The stats might tell you that there are a lot of Italians and Croats there, but I would not really know what difference it would make, they as well as POMs are everywhere.

Here in OZ we are a multicultural society and you hardly see any discrimination.

Financially, I would say that it is a sleeping giant and now it is a good time to buy property here, I just did and am looking forward to a good capital gain as properties in neighboring suburbs like Coogee have had.

Keep smiling

Stefano

Coogee is a beach side suburbs with higher than average cost.

Most houses are two storey, some three.

At part from a small area in the North, it is relatively new, the house I built there in 1986 could be seen from Rottnest, Fremantle and Rockingham, now it has been swallowed by hundreds much bigger houses.

Coogee primary is a good school, there are no High schools close by, my kids went to Fremantle's John Curtin SHS.

Bus can be a little difficult to use, most people drive....

There are several delicatessen, the closest shopping centre is Phoenix Park in Spearwood or you can drive to Fremantle in 6~7 min.

Property prices are overvalued and many that bought at the height of the bubble are in negative equity.

There is a ridge that runs North/South and all the houses on the west of the ridge (having ocean views) are more expensive.

The views over the three islands and the Cockburn sound are the best in Perth, nothing NOR can come close.

The long white sandy beach is protected by the large oceanic swell by Garden Island.

It can be windy, so if you don't like the sunsets and the cool wind, look elsewhere.

Keep smiling

Stefano

Palmyra is a very old suburb, with tall trees everywhere and full of birds.

95% of the old 1/4 acre lots have been subdivided and are now two strata lots one in front and one at the back.

Most of the houses have been renovated and many are new, you will also find smaller villas in complexes of 4 to 8.

Roads are signaled so that every second intersection you have a stop sign and sometimes no through, so that you only have local traffic as it is easier to go around it than through it.

There is a good primary school and bus services to Fremantle and the CBD are regular and very efficient, I prefer to catch the bus to the CBD as it has a preferential lane and will get you in and out faster during peak time. The buses also stop at the train station on the freeway and Fremantle.

Garden city shopping centre is about 7 min drive, Fremantle a little less, but there are also smaller shopping centres and grocery stores nearby.

All considered this is a great place, quiet and close to Fremantle, the river and the CBD

In Myaree you can find anything, from Apples to Zebra mats (much like Osborne Park NOR).

Willagee is a quite similar, if just a little younger than Palmyra.

O'Connor is predominantly industrial with many factories and the Cemetery.

Beaconsfield is also similar, but somewhat more expensive, especially closer to Fremantle.

East Fremantle, Bicton and Attadale are more up-marked, given the proximity to the river. If you can afford a 2~3M$ house with a Northerly exposure overlooking the river, then look no further than my favorite place: East Fremantle, if not, Palmyra makes a lot of sense.

Keep smiling

Stefano

PS: We just bought a Sailing Catamaran and we will live on it for the next 3~4y, so we are selling our two storey Palmyra house for AUD $795,000 cash and a little more on Vendor Finance or Rent-To-Buy.

I will post its details on this forum in the real estate section, if you are interested.

Guest guest1228
We will be moving to Perth some time in September or October. One of the guys in my husband's office is from Australia. He mentioned that we might like City Beach. Can anyone tell us about this area?

I work in and around City Beach...it is a beautiful suburb but unless you are seriously minted forget living there. Think of Perth like London where the prices are most expensive (often ridiculously so) the closer to the city you are. I think thats the general rule and obviously beachside suburbs come at a price but there are bargains to be had such as yanchep where $450,000 will buy a pretty newbuild close to the ocean...no good if you have to commute to Perth though. Dalkieth is gorgeous, river side also comes at a price...spoiledfor choice.com here in Pretty Perth

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mpnowak

fantastic post and very useful.

its looks like I get an offer and we will move over there.

obviously we scared as we dont know where to start.

one of the topic was "where to stay" and thats why Im here.

I quite like idea of living around Baldivis espessialy after what you wrote above.

I have 2 girls (3 and 1 year old) and I think house with garden with closeby parks will be ideal.

Question then - why u can easily rent something there for $400 which is nearly new and for $350 u get an ruin? Does 50$ makes that big difference?

and more important. Office is located on St. Georges Terrace which I believe is this side of the city.

How long will it take me to get in there in the morning and back in the afternoon? How bad is traffic overthere?

Is it better to take train? does the monthly ticket for train exist? how long would be the train jurney?

And the last one can anyone suggest a nursery around?

many thanks for help

Michal

Atwell seemes really nice .. we looked at there before Baldivis .. near to cockburn shopping center and easy to get city , beach and hills ..( quite central really ) im sure the primary schools had a good rep as well we liked the look of it but Baldivis had family so for us that was the decider :)

From my thoughts ... Beeliar , Jandakot , Atwell were places we looked and thought not bad , def worth a look into ..

Thanks for that jackboots!

My OH will be working fifo, but when he is at home he will have to go into the yard at Canning Vale, how far is Baldivis from there and how long would it take to drive there in the mornings? We were interested in Baldivis but thought it was maybe just a little to far.

Thanks!

Baldivis.

Is a bit of a master planned subburb which i am told will eventually be bigger than canning vale , it has quite a few areas the most popular sems to be Settlers hills ( i think as its more established ..trees etc ) Rivergums, tuart ridge , Baldivis Central , The chase , baldivis North, Highbury Park, to name a few !

There are 3 primary schools , Baldivis primary , Settlers Primary and the newest Makybe rise . Then there is Tranby college which is private , there is an Abc childcare center, tranby also do Daycare .

There is a Highschool at present being built , though not sure when it will be open .

we are less than ten minutes away from the beach , nearest for us being Warnbro or Waikiki beach , along the coast road you will find Shoalwater and safety bay , Pelican island is off from shoalwater and point Peron and rockingham are the next .

Rockingham foreshore is fab for kids as the beach is shallow like the med and has a huge park area and playground for children , lots of restuarants and cafes etc ... also the Brit shop:wubclub: for those who like there brit fix !

warnbro is the nearest Train line and i would say ten minutes depending on which area you live its possibly only 5 from me it takes longer to open the garage and drive out !

Rockingham has the nearest shopping center ( 15 mins ) ( the big one) and mandurah ( half hr drive ), Baldivis has a stocklands and will be a lot bigger eventually it is supposed to be as big as whitfords i am told, ( you can see it has the space for it !) it has coles and waikiki has woolworths barely ten mins down the rd .

There are lots of parks here and very child friendly , winery's etc it is out from perth and Freemantle but its really easy to get to my driving i would say 45 mins as long as its not rush traffic ( i dawdle ) Settlers itsself has a couple of restaurants , estate agents , clothes , hairdressers etc , takeaways ...

Anyway i would say it has what you need .. family Friendly Area .:smile:

It's great to get some information on the area where I am thinking about living in. I have already booked my holiday home accomodation in Baldivis for when I come move over in January - hope that Student visa is granted!!!!!

Wanbro anyone? as we are looking here. Like the fact that the schools are close together.

Wambro is nice, the closer you get to the ocean the better and more expensive...

Rockingham is a very relaxed water playground, the further from it the newer the suburbs and housing estates.

If you work in the city, then you must be prepared to share the Freeway with other thousands of commuters, at peak hours the Freeway slows to a crawl, some people don't like it, some just put up with it.

keep smiling

Stefano

Hi Neil - Dianella and Yokine are nice. They have very good bus services to the city. Inglewood is also good. There schools are ok - what school did you have in mind? I went to Sutherland and Mt Lawley high. Yokine has a good golf course, and Mt Lawley tennis club is good. Inglewood pool is ok, but I prefer Joodalup to be honest. Many people call bits of Morley Dianella. The best bits of Dianella are the golden triangle. Lots of parks, big blocks, good shops. Bit far from the beach.

Noranda is similar but a bit further out.

The Jewish area is more Menora than Dianella, although there is a presence. There is a Jewish school there (Coolbinia I think). I'm not Jewish - and it wasn't that obvious - but our butcher was cosha (spelling?)

They are all pleasant areas - if a bit non descript. If you have any specific questions - just ask.

Thanks for that jackboots!

My OH will be working fifo, but when he is at home he will have to go into the yard at Canning Vale, how far is Baldivis from there and how long would it take to drive there in the mornings? We were interested in Baldivis but thought it was maybe just a little to far.

Thanks![/QUOT

Well i used to do the opposite nearly i lived in Leeming ( about 5-10 mins up the rd from Canning vale ) and drove to work in Baldivis ... but it was against traffic so 20 mins roughly for me as i was nearly on South street .. you have to factor where you live in a subburb it can take you ten plus minutes to get out of a subburb onto a direct route ... they are that big .. so on a good run i'd say 20- 25 mins from Baldivis to Canning vale depend if you go Kwinnana Freeway or Raural back route and which part your heading :)

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

Thanks for all of your posts giving us newbie Poms an idea of places to live. The only problem is I am now more confused than ever :wacko:

Donna x

Guest mpnowak

If you work in the city, then you must be prepared to share the Freeway with other thousands of commuters, at peak hours the Freeway slows to a crawl,

Stefano

Stefano,

Can u advise how long does it take to get to the city peak/off peak hours?

is it better to take train?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thesalmons

We have got our heart set on settling in Secret Harbour but I heard that it gets very windy, is this true also apparently some of the houses are sinking??? Does anyone have any information about Golden Bay (is this next too Secret Harbour)? Thanks :unsure: