Suburbs

ali

Guest unique0410

Hi I'm loving reading all your comments about the different suburbs can any of you tell me is buying a house and land package worth it they look lovely but some of the land looks really cramped and small but the house is quite large or is it better to buy a house that has already been lived in with more garden, we're waiting to sell our house in England before we can move out we will be living with family for a while and then we were going to rent until we found a house that suits our pockets which are not that deep ha I love the look of Halls Head Secret Harbour and all those areas and many you've all mentioned just wondered where is the most reasonabley priced keep the comments coming best regards

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 3 or 4 houses that are having problems, so really not worth worrying about....

Secret harbour Beach does get windy...we drive to Rockingham beach most times....it is a gentler beach nicer for the kids. If Secret Harbour wasn't a windy beach...it would be a great surfing beach. So if you want surfing and good body boarding Secret Harbour is great. But Rocky beach is lvoely for family picnics and a play in the sea for little ones.

Golden Bay is an older suburb with older houses...some look like they would blow down in the wind!! The new building site is going to happen and will have to have some state housing...but no primary school...they have allocated land for it but no funds!

Guest thesalmons

Oh ok, when I read about it I just had vision of the whole place sinking, but that is good to know its only a few houses.

Secret Harbour beach sounds great if you want to get out the house for half hour or so, but as you say you get in the car anyway with all the beach gear, so it doesn't matter if you drive to a beach a bit further away. Rocky Beach sounds lovely and we cant wait to experience it for real.

Oh ok thanks for the info about Golden Bay. Maybe it wasnt Golden Bay that I was thinking of, I remember driving thru Secret Harbour and they will building a new estate but then again could it be a new part of Secret Harbour?

if it was 2009 then it probably wasn;t golden bay....they have only started theat about 18 months ago.... more likely was just a new part of Secret Harbour...there are 2 or 3 new areas since we came in 2009!!lol and as you say it is never a quick trip to the beach...takes a lot of packing!!!!

Port Kennedy beach is quite nice for little ones and kyacking too, its just one suburb up from Secret Harbour and is far more sheltered. We love Secret Harbour beach because we are into the surf we love waves but it does have strong rips and unless you are a strong swimmer its not good for swimming although paddling and jumping over the waves is great. Palm Beach up by Rockingham is gorgeous too! Try driving the Rockinghams coastal road from Port Kennedy, everytime I drive it I have to pinch myself and say, "I live here in this beautiful place!"

Port Kennedy beach is quite nice for little ones and kyacking too, its just one suburb up from Secret Harbour and is far more sheltered. We love Secret Harbour beach because we are into the surf we love waves but it does have strong rips and unless you are a strong swimmer its not good for swimming although paddling and jumping over the waves is great. Palm Beach up by Rockingham is gorgeous too! Try driving the Rockinghams coastal road from Port Kennedy, everytime I drive it I have to pinch myself and say, "I live here in this beautiful place!"

I just look forward to the day that I can jump in the car and drive along that Rockingham coastal road - oh well, not too long, only 159 sleeps to go!!!!!!!!! (hopefully flying out on 5th January, if my student visa is granted!!!) :jiggy:

• 1 month later...
Guest SueRich

Possibly going to Oz on the 475 visa and looking the Peel region - Can anyone give me any information about Mandurah and surrounding suburbs?

Would be great to know about transport links, schools (primary - state or private), recreation activities including shopping, work availablity (I am an admin worker and my OH is a Tiler), community spirit, houses to rent etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Possibly going to Oz on the 475 visa and looking the Peel region - Can anyone give me any information about Mandurah and surrounding suburbs?

Would be great to know about transport links, schools (primary - state or private), recreation activities including shopping, work availablity (I am an admin worker and my OH is a Tiler), community spirit, houses to rent etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Hi Sue, I visited Mandurah in April and going back in Oct for 4 weeks - I loved Halls Head which is like a little Venice, full of canals - it is gorgeous!!! Mandurah has a train station which goes direct to Perth City (takes about an hour). Mandurah has a good shopping centre too. Good luck with your visa. Sorry don't know much about the schhols, except there is a primary school in Halls Head called South Halls Head Primary which is lovely, it's relatively new but you have to live within their catchment area. I was going to put my daughter in that school but we have decided to live in Baldivis now. Take care Michelle x

Guest SueRich
Hi Sue, I visited Mandurah in April and going back in Oct for 4 weeks - I loved Halls Head which is like a little Venice, full of canals - it is gorgeous!!! Mandurah has a train station which goes direct to Perth City (takes about an hour). Mandurah has a good shopping centre too. Good luck with your visa. Sorry don't know much about the schhols, except there is a primary school in Halls Head called South Halls Head Primary which is lovely, it's relatively new but you have to live within their catchment area. I was going to put my daughter in that school but we have decided to live in Baldivis now. Take care Michelle x

Thanks Michelle.

Where is Baldivis? Is this in the Peel region aswell? I've heard alot of people on here talk about Balivis so i'm guessing it must be nice. Halls Head sounds lovely - I would love to go and visit for a couple of weeks but with the cost of emigrating I don't think we could afford for the whole family to go on a reccie. We are hoping my OH can get out there for a few weeks - I'll be giving him strict instructions where to go and what to look for!

Sue x

Thanks Michelle.

Where is Baldivis? Is this in the Peel region aswell? I've heard alot of people on here talk about Balivis so i'm guessing it must be nice. Halls Head sounds lovely - I would love to go and visit for a couple of weeks but with the cost of emigrating I don't think we could afford for the whole family to go on a reccie. We are hoping my OH can get out there for a few weeks - I'll be giving him strict instructions where to go and what to look for!

Sue x

Hi Sue, Baldivis is closer to Perth than Mandurah and is about 10 minutes drive from Rockingham (about 20 mins north of Mandurah), which is great. Rockingham has the most fabulous shopping centre!!! Baldivis sounds so lovely, I have my accomodation sorted out, all I need now is my student visa, but I can't apply for this until I return from my oz trip in November! Can't wait to get out in January. I feel like I am living in limbo land at the moment!!! Michelle x

Halls Head is lovely though further down , it has Mandurah for shopping which is great ( i like shopping here better than Rockingham personaly ) ! and Falcon Beach ... one of my favourites ... its lovely down there .. though i can't comment on schools or work etc .. we head that way quite a lot for days out etc

I love Mandurah Im not sure on schools either sorry. I have to say I love the Metro at Mandurah for shopping. We almost always end up down there on the weekends. It has a lovely play park and it has a lovely little swim beach and they have huge inflatables in the water in the summer which are hysterical. Now for my area of expertise....:biglaugh: M on the Point restaurant and bar is lovely, just sitting outside with the view of Mandurahs beautiful blue waters is wonderful, there is a Dome for coffee lovers and wonderful desserts. There is a Ciccerelos which does the most amazing (cheap) fish and seafood dinners. The across the key there is Sharkys and various other eateries, including Catch 22 that has devine food, there is also an Oyster Bar that has the most amazing view. The highlight of my summer last year was sat outside Sharkys with a glass of sparkling wine in the sunshine looking at the boats bobbing up and down and watching a dolphin playing in the water. Now for feel good moments they dont come much better than that.:cool:

I love Mandurah Im not sure on schools either sorry. I have to say I love the Metro at Mandurah for shopping. We almost always end up down there on the weekends. It has a lovely play park and it has a lovely little swim beach and they have huge inflatables in the water in the summer which are hysterical. Now for my area of expertise....:biglaugh: M on the Point restaurant and bar is lovely, just sitting outside with the view of Mandurahs beautiful blue waters is wonderful, there is a Dome for coffee lovers and wonderful desserts. There is a Ciccerelos which does the most amazing (cheap) fish and seafood dinners. The across the key there is Sharkys and various other eateries, including Catch 22 that has devine food, there is also an Oyster Bar that has the most amazing view. The highlight of my summer last year was sat outside Sharkys with a glass of sparkling wine in the sunshine looking at the boats bobbing up and down and watching a dolphin playing in the water. Now for feel good moments they dont come much better than that.:cool:

OMG, green with envy!!!! During my last visit to Mandurah (April 2011) I visited M on the Point, and I loved it, the food was first class and the view was fantastic!!! Dome cafe, well, that is my favourite and I miss it so much!! It's fantastic! I love the Mandurah foreshore, so nice to walk along. I can't wait to get back in October (40 sleeps to go, and counting!!!) I read all the posts on this site and just wish I was there now, living the dream - I have to wait until January 2012 for that (which is now 118 sleeps!!! - can't wait). Feel like I am living in limbo land - just waiting for this year to pass!!

Thanks for all your help - Definately sounds like somewhere I could settle! :smile:

I visited Australia back in 2006 (East Coast) and one thing I did do, which I really enjoyed, was a lot of walking. In the UK I seem to use my car all the time, plus the weather isn't that great to be able to go for nice walks! I am looking forward to being able to go for long walks whether it's along a beach or through a park. My OH will need a car/van for his job but if I can get work close by to where we live then I won't bother getting a car.

I also love seafood so it's looks as though i'll be spending quite a bit of time in those restaurants you mentioned! :biglaugh:

Sue x

• 1 month later...
Guest newmuminperth
I am at a total loss as to where to go. NOR or SOR. I have family in SOR who love it, but have friends who are NOR.

We are a family with 2 young children, so want decent schools, somewhere which is quite new (if you can have that), not too far from the beaches and not too far from Perth as that is where my husbands job is.

Hi There

Where did you end up? We are looking for somewhere close to shenton Park that has good primary schools etc? dont know where to start!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Rachel, Matt & Kyle

Secret Harbour;

Lovely area, good mix of nationalities. Great surf beach. Great loaction between Rockingham and Mandurah. Lots of clubs for the kids; surf school, surf life saving, playgroup, scouts. Beautiful golf course.

Shopping centre with a Woolys, bottle shop, post office, hairdressers, newsagents, chemist, bakery, 2 cafes, butchers, florists, 2 clothes shops and a take away.

Shops including a chippy, pizza place, barbers, pool shop and a few more.

Pub, doctors surgery, state swim centre, community centre, and church.

2 primary schools, Secret Harbour and Comet Bay and then Comet Bay College.

Beautiful place to live.

Hope this helps xxx

Fremantle or Walyalup

Old part of Perth, actually the oldest in recent history I believe and named after Charles Howe Fremantle who claimed possession of WA in around 1829.

Some gorgeous (IMHO) residential properties, lots of history of course, Maritime Museum, Prison, Fantastic Arts centre, great music scene, Urban Spoon lists 57 coffee shops, loads of great restaurants, an okay sort of market, great pool, fishing harbour and so on.

Median house prices (REIWA Dec 2011) $740,000 or $595pw rental for 3 beds

East Freo Primary, Beaconsfield and Freo Primary are all good schools by all accounts. (My kids love Freo Primary and have settled in far better than they did in Willetton. They're not academic and the school is very creative)

Notre Dame uni has a good reputation and there's an excellent circus school. The meeting place community centre also does some great creative courses.

Franks speciality butchers on Wray Avenue does some superb meat and there are some fabulous independent shops. If you really have to then there's a Woolies, Coles and a few IGA's but the market is dirt cheap on a Sunday afternoon when they're trying to clear stock.

Freo has always been known as a bit of a hippy town and there are a few quirky characters left but most have been priced out or sold up.

Weekends are pretty lively and there's a good buzz around town but alcohol can bring the worst out in people but it's nothing compared to London.

South beach is still my favourite place but there are numerous others within 15 minutes north or south.

Trains to the CBD take around 30 to 40 minutes.

The airport is around the same to drive.

There's a ferry to the city too which, again, is around 30 minutes and a whole lot more salubrious but not really commutable.

We love it, wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Currently in Baldivis & work in Joondalup so have 75K each way drive straight up the Freeway (route 2 on googlemaps) and it takes anything from 55mins to 2hours but few people have this & we wont for much longer.

Bev works in the CBD & gets the train in from Kwinana station and it takes about 25-30mins & she says its very easy.

Location wise Baldivis & Settlers Hills have a small shopping complex situated between them. Its has a Coles (Supermarket), chemist, newsagent, barber shop, McDs (great for free wifi), Pizza take away, Dome cafe & Chase bar/restaurant.

There are several parks with kids play areas etc round here and it's lovely & quiet round here.

Along Safety Bay Road & Up Ennis Ave is Rockingham Shopping Centre (under 15mins) with a full range of shops etc plus a few lovely beaches.

Housing wise round here they are all new build homes so likely 4*2 & 5*2 options. The one we are renting was built in Oct 2010 and is listed with Tracey @ OzHouseRental for around $500/wk.

Hope this helps a little

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys - well we have finally arrived and are in a beautiful spot in Safety Bay - perfect - insight of the beach and easy access to Rocky central etc however ...

Hubby has been offered a job which suits him to a T in Malaga!!! I have no info on NOR at all and we all had our heart set on SOR but with a travelling time of 1 1/2 hours its is just not doable :-(

We have been looking for areas which may suit and which aren't way to expensive - does anyone have an opinion on Bayswater and Bassendean? or advice on a decent area which 1/2 drive to Malaga? and may more importantly areas to avoid ;-)

Cheers guys

Est :-)