Suburbs

ali

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Robosgodownunder

Hi everyone,

This is such a useful thread for all us pommies heading out. I have read pretty much most of the posts, but wondered if anyone had any advice for us. We are a family of four, husband will probably work in CBD, two children 2 years and 9 months. We love Freo and have close relies in Coolbellup, so are keen to head to a suburb somewhere around those areas. Unfortunately, we can't afford Freo but would love to know which surrounding areas people think are most family orientated, i.e. good parks, community feel etc. When visiting my family in Coolbellup, I didn't get any feel for the community, there didn't seem to be an area where people were milling around, it seemed more like...drive to get what you need then head home. Maybe I just didn't go to the right places, but I wonder if I am thinking of something that is harder to find in Aus - i.e. living in an area with shops/cafes etc nearby, simply due to the larger distances?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Sarah

I think most people drive places just purely due to distance. Whilst I think that Leeming has a great community feel in that there are a lot of organised events, and a few of us have get togethers etc., you might not get a sense of things just happening around you. I think it's only when you live there that you get that 'community' feel, e.g. we have a street party each year at Christmas - young and old turn out - it's great, our school does a community bush dance, there's a community event at the Rec centre. On New Years Eve more than a dozen families met on one of the parks for a BBQ - there were other families there meeting their friends too.

Guest Robosgodownunder
I think most people drive places just purely due to distance. Whilst I think that Leeming has a great community feel in that there are a lot of organised events, and a few of us have get togethers etc., you might not get a sense of things just happening around you. I think it's only when you live there that you get that 'community' feel, e.g. we have a street party each year at Christmas - young and old turn out - it's great, our school does a community bush dance, there's a community event at the Rec centre. On New Years Eve more than a dozen families met on one of the parks for a BBQ - there were other families there meeting their friends too.

Thanks Ali,

Yes, I'm sure you are right, I was kind of thinking that anyway. Very excited about coming over!

All the best,

Sarah

• 1 month later...
Guest pat and mike

it's also now got a Masters, which means we don't have to trek to PK or Rocky for Bunnings.

Baldivis Secondary College will be open for Y8 at the start of the new academic yr (Jan/Feb); it already looks as though it's oversubscribed. the following yr they will also take Y7, as this is when all Y7's move up from primary. the second phase of the shopping centre should start early 2013..it'll have a Woolies AND A POST OFFICE - yay !! the community centre/library build should be underway anyday now.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We have been renting in Heathridge since December 2012, after trying to get a rental in ocean reef or mullaloo, sadly the demand for those areas hand heath ridge is huge now as the primary and secondary schools are in high demand. We like heath ridge as it's only 30 min walk/ 5 min drive to mullaloo beach and you have joondalup shopping centre 5 mins up the road. Because it's an old area the plots are large so you get a good size home we ample garden. Currently we rent a 4 bed, and it's had a complete refurb and are very settled although we still want to buy in mullaloo and ocean reef for the sunsets over the sea. It's our dream! Rental your looking at 500 a week plus in heath ridge for 3/4 bed. 575 plus in ocean reef / mullaloo for 3/4 bed. It's got a great link by train to Perth, only 20mins on the train and loads of developments north! Yanchep is beautiful and can see that being a couples/ retirement/ young families dream place to live, it's just got a new primary school and has all you need for a very relaxing chilled way of life.

• 1 month later...

Fremantle

Thought I should update following my original post.

We're moving but want to stay in Freo. We have had to increase our budget to $1000 p/w to get anything with enough space for a family of 4 and we live a fairly simple life. 3 beds seem to start around $650 but most are $750+ and 4 beds around $950+

There's very little around at the moment and vendors and agents are obviously taking full advantage.

We've just moved SOR so thought I'd update!

We now live in Yangebup, an older suburb with large blocks of land and older style houses. We've just bought a 4x1 that was built in 1987 and hasn't been decorated since! It's a good first time buyer area as most houses are under $500k (on the older side - the newer Bayview Estate is more pricey with smaller blocks). Rentals wise I think you can get a decent house for under $500 per week - will be an older style one though, with decoration to match!

We are 7-8 minutes drive in peak traffic from Cockburn station which gets me into the City for work in 15 minutes, I catch the 7.58am and I'm at my desk on St Georges Terrace by 8.25am. I don't attempt to park at the station at the moment as OH drops me off, but if I did I wouldn't stand a cat in hells chance of parking in a car park - so I'd leave it on North Lake Road in the sand! Around Cockburn Central is lots of new development - Gateways shopping centre is being extended (although has the essentials at the moment - Coles, Woolworths, Big W, Bakers Delight etc) and should be completed come 2014.

In the other direction we have Coogee Beach, this is about a 6 minute drive from us, lovely sand and turquoise blue calm waters - much safer for swimming in than the beaches NOR.

Yangebup itself doesn't have masses going on, but it's a nice quiet neighbourhood. We had our neighbour come across and introduce himself a couple of weeks ago and gave us some home made ginger beer! He said he'd been there 10 years and loved it. We did get warned about "hoons", but to be honest I think in 2 months we've heard them once - you see evidence of their tyre marks on the street, but we've not had any issues so far (touch wood!) We've had nice afternoon & evenings spent in our lovely (big!) garden and you don't hear another soul.

There's an IGA and a collection of shops in Yangebup, a takeaway, Cellebrations, corner shop type - but they do look a little run down so we don't tend to use them that much. We shop at either Tony Ales (2 minutes away) or the Spud Shed at Jandakot (about 15 min drive).

Public transport wise there are a couple of buses that do the route from Fremantle to Cockburn that go through Yangebup, think it takes about 30 mins to Freo and 20 to the station at Cockburn, but we tend to drive to Freo, takes around 20 minutes.

Schools - can't really comment as we don't have children, but there are a few. Yangebup Primary is apparently 'up and coming' and has been improving year on year with a little way to go, there are also a couple of Catholic primarys as well, but don't know anything about them.

All things considered we are happy with our move, it's a culture shock from Subiaco and we do miss being able to walk to shops/bars/restaurants.... but we've adjusted ok so far!

All things considered we are happy with our move, it's a culture shock from Subiaco and we do miss being able to walk to shops/bars/restaurants.... but we've adjusted ok so far!

Great to hear. You must have been worried about the jump from the bustle of Subi to Yangebup but it's good to hear it's working for you.

• 1 month later...
Thought it would be helpful if people could post information on the suburb they live in

LEEMING:

Leeming is South of the River, it is approx 14/17 km from the City. It's an older suburb and there aren't alot of new builds, people tend to renovate here. Its mostly middle income families.

Leeming falls into three Shires: City of Cockburn, City of Melville and City of Canning - Melville would like for all of Leeming to come under them.

Median House prices are approx $600,000 (RIWA March 2010)

Nearest train station is Murdoch and it takes about 10 mins by train (15 by car) into the city. 45 mins to Mandurah by Train. Approx 30 mins to the international/domestic airport. 15 mins to Coogee beach, 20 mins to South Beach and Fremantle.

3 state Primary schools, Banksia Park, Leeming Primary and West Leeming (all good reputations), one state High School which includes an educational support centre. They also have an academic extension programme for gifted and talented students, Music and Science programmes. There are private Primary and Secondary Schools in Bateman, Bull Creek and Murdoch.

We've lived here 4 years, we've found it a nice neighbourhood with a low crime rate, it's convenient to most things and has a great community feel

There's a small shopping forum on the doorstep, woolies/coles are 5 - 10 min drive away at Bull Creek, Southlands (also a cinema) and Kardinya. Garden City shopping centre is about 10 -15 mins drive away.

We've a short drive away from places like Wireless Hill, Woodman point, Point Walter, Point Heathcote

There is a recreation centre, and also. Lakeside Recreation centre is 10 mins away.

Thanks ali, this suburb thread is so handy. I think i'm liking Leeming as i have 4boys 11yr, 9yr, 6yr and 2yr so i'm feeling my boys will be comfortable here and more so reduced crime. OH will be travelling in and out so will really love to be in a very friendly environment and close to shops. Is there a pre - school in Leeming? what's the cost like? If the need arises for my 2yr old to attend.

Thanks....:cool:

Thanks ali, this suburb thread is so handy. I think i'm liking Leeming as i have 4boys 11yr, 9yr, 6yr and 2yr so i'm feeling my boys will be comfortable here and more so reduced crime. OH will be travelling in and out so will really love to be in a very friendly environment and close to shops. Is there a pre - school in Leeming? what's the cost like? If the need arises for my 2yr old to attend.

Thanks....:cool:

Well we've now been here 6 years and we still love it. It's not going to be everyones cup of tea because it's older and a lot of people want new builds, but it suits are needs, my daughter gets public transport to Uni and my son walks to the high school. I'm not sure about pre-school as my children are older, but certainly the principle at Leeming Primary wouldn't mind answering questions for you.

Well we've now been here 6 years and we still love it. It's not going to be everyones cup of tea because it's older and a lot of people want new builds, but it suits are needs, my daughter gets public transport to Uni and my son walks to the high school. I'm not sure about pre-school as my children are older, but certainly the principle at Leeming Primary wouldn't mind answering questions for you.

Alright looking forward to perth:biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Where's a good family oriented suburb(s) to base oneself for a reccie/visa activation trip? Never been to Perth before and want to ideally get a good sense of where we'd settle initially - once visa granted, fingers crossed :) Would like to be (relatively) close to CBD & beach.

But asking for a suburb is a bit pointless. When you realise that Mandurah to Clarkson is about the same as Swindon to London (and it's all houses inbetween) that every suburb is the same and different. Every road is different.

Everyone will generally reccomend where they are, because for them it was where they wanted to be.

Generally people live near-ish to their work. The closer to the city the smaller the blocks and the more you pay. Likewise with the coast.

Train lines also have an impact. North East and South East were generally poorer areas, but Armadale has a trainline and Ellenbrook doesn't.

For a reccie, stay central and near the freeway. That way you can head north and south, and you don't waste valuable time driving.

But asking for a suburb is a bit pointless. When you realise that Mandurah to Clarkson is about the same as Swindon to London (and it's all houses inbetween) that every suburb is the same and different. Every road is different.

Everyone will generally reccomend where they are, because for them it was where they wanted to be.

Generally people live near-ish to their work. The closer to the city the smaller the blocks and the more you pay. Likewise with the coast.

Train lines also have an impact. North East and South East were generally poorer areas, but Armadale has a trainline and Ellenbrook doesn't.

For a reccie, stay central and near the freeway. That way you can head north and south, and you don't waste valuable time driving.

Funny you mention distance Bibbs, my hubby last year was asked to drop something off from work - drove the equivalent of Preston (our old home town) to Bristol and back without batting an eye

Funny you mention distance Bibbs, my hubby last year was asked to drop something off from work - drove the equivalent of Preston (our old home town) to Bristol and back without batting an eye

Yup, the distances some people have to go for clients etc is huge. Bet he wouldn't do it every day though.

(and I had to google where Preston was, I knew it was "north" but not a clue where)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I will be working in South City Beach so have been looking into suburbs to live. It will be my girlfriend and I both 23 with no kids, pets etc. I will probably have a car due to work requirements but she will likely commute to work when she finds some (Registered Nurse). We are due to arrive 14th September so on arrival will be looking to get a long term rental sorted. I've been looking online at suburbs such as Scarborough, Wembley, Innaloo, Subiaco etc. Just ones that seem in reasonable commuting distance, being on the trainline would also be handy.

Is there anywhere in particular you guys would recommend for someone in our situation?

Thanks

Guest guest9824
Hello everyone,

I will be working in South City Beach so have been looking into suburbs to live. It will be my girlfriend and I both 23 with no kids, pets etc. I will probably have a car due to work requirements but she will likely commute to work when she finds some (Registered Nurse). We are due to arrive 14th September so on arrival will be looking to get a long term rental sorted. I've been looking online at suburbs such as Scarborough, Wembley, Innaloo, Subiaco etc. Just ones that seem in reasonable commuting distance, being on the trainline would also be handy.

Is there anywhere in particular you guys would recommend for someone in our situation?

Thanks

Hi there, because of your ages, I would suggest, if you can afford it, living near the city. Leederville is nice, Subi lovely but expensive and Scarborough is popular with younguns like backpackers....I guess it's more about your budget. There are house and apartment shares on gumtree, might be worth looking somewhere like that to get an idea. Also realestate.com.au has a rental section, so you can just put in a place you are interested in and it will come up with rentals and prices in that area. Good luck..

Hi there, because of your ages, I would suggest, if you can afford it, living near the city. Leederville is nice, Subi lovely but expensive and Scarborough is popular with younguns like backpackers....I guess it's more about your budget. There are house and apartment shares on gumtree, might be worth looking somewhere like that to get an idea. Also realestate.com.au has a rental section, so you can just put in a place you are interested in and it will come up with rentals and prices in that area. Good luck..

Hi Peanuts,

Thank you for the reply :-)

We would definitely be looking for a house/apartment ourselves as we'll have plenty friends/family coming over to visit us - 4 at Xmas. Plus it will be our first time living together, so all very exciting(ish) Ha

In terms of budget I've set a rough limit of approximately $550 per week, maybe increasing this slightly if it was furnished. I think in all of the above suburbs it's achievable getting a property within that budget, although as you suggested the choice in Subi/Leederville is a lot less than the likes of Scarborough and some of the others I suggested. Subiaco seems to tick all of the boxes so far, that it seems to ahve some stuff going on, on the train line, close to the city but work is commutable for me.

Is there any other recommendations for ourselves? Or even any personal experiences from people who live in the above mentioned areas?

Thanks again,

Kyle

In terms of budget I've set a rough limit of approximately $550 per week, maybe increasing this slightly if it was furnished. Is there any other recommendations for ourselves? Or even any personal experiences from people who live in the above mentioned areas? Thanks again, Kyle

What are your plans on arrival up until the time you secure a longer term rental? $550 a week could be an issue if you are going to need a short term let for any length of time.

What are your plans on arrival up until the time you secure a longer term rental? $550 a week could be an issue if you are going to need a short term let for any length of time.

Hello StrighttothePoint,

Initially we're staying with friends on arrival, maybe for a week or so but not wanting to burden them for too long because being absolutely honest I don't know them too well - my girlfriend knows them a little better though. They're down in Mandurah though so we'll be training it in to Perth to sort everything out - meidcare, rentals, bank, jobs etc.

Hoping to purchase a car also for running about in but again will just see how we get on. After that week though, we've not got anything sorted yet, so who knows - ideas welcome :-) We were probably looking to rent even just a room for a few weeks until we tie down something a little more long term. Lucy (my girlfriend) has an interview 2 days after we arrive with Nursing Australia so depending on what the result of that is we might be able to look for something long term quicker than expected. If for example they say we can provide you with full time agency work in or around Subiaco/close to my work then we can look for something long term. She ideally wants to secure a long term role but will depend on how that goes.

But if it was a short term let, we're more than happy to roomshare or rent a rent. Just after that we would like our own place.

Thanks.