Suburbs

ali

Try Gumtree for room shares. You may struggle to find a long term rental, in a location you need or like, in a week or even a few weeks especially given the demand in places like Subi. I agree staying wth folk you do not know that well can be a risk - for both parties!!:wink: I was up your way a coupole of weeks ago. Had lunch in that place by the harbour. Last time I was there before that was 1978 when Hearts beat Arbroath 1-0 to win the old first division. Not changed much :wink:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Gumtree for room shares. You may struggle to find a long term rental, in a location you need or like, in a week or even a few weeks especially given the demand in places like Subi. I agree staying wth folk you do not know that well can be a risk - for both parties!!:wink: I was up your way a coupole of weeks ago. Had lunch in that place by the harbour. Last time I was there before that was 1978 when Hearts beat Arbroath 1-0 to win the old first division. Not changed much :wink:

Yeah that's what we were thinking, as there seems to be a few on offer on gumtree. So we might make a wanted type ad on arrival and hopefully tie something down on arrival. I'm due to start work on the 30th so I basically have just over 2 weeks before I start work. So hopefully I'll get as much sorted as possible in that time. A car will likely be a requirement due to the location of work. Oh and staying with friends is probably a much bigger risk on their part.....:-)

In Arbroath? So you're not even in Australia...what a fraud. I've actually never had a meal there, the boathouse place isn't it. How was it? Yeah Arbroath is much the same, nothing too exciting happening here anyway. Although if you mean the football team, looks like we're going to struggle this year anyway. Hearts off to a not bad start beating Hibs anyway.

Hi,

I would like to throw in areas that maybe some one could give me some feedback on. We are currently doing research on possible areas to settle down in. At this stage we are keeping a very open mind and considering where would suit our needs. Not sure where OH will be working but know he will need easy access to freeway as he is a Construction Project Manager, so could be based anywhere!

Our wish list is: Smart, safe area with good schools, community spirit, modern houses with pools, scenic/attractive location - beach or hills, ideally not crammed in, peaceful. Not urban. Good freeway connection.

Considered areas (would really love to get some personal feedback on these from those in the know, feel free to add your own suggestions too):

Helena Valley

Jane Brook

Duncraig

Gooseberry Hill

Lesmurdie

Glen Forrest

Kalamunda

Connolly

Yanchep

Waikiki

Kelmscott

Darlington

Many thanks in advance!

In Arbroath? So you're not even in Australia...what a fraud. I've actually never had a meal there, the boathouse place isn't it. How was it? Yeah Arbroath is much the same, nothing too exciting happening here anyway. Although if you mean the football team, looks like we're going to struggle this year anyway. Hearts off to a not bad start beating Hibs anyway.

I live in Perth but spend 4/5 months in Scotland every summer/autumn. Bugger eh :wink:

Hi,

Our wish list is: Smart, safe area with good schools, community spirit, modern houses with pools, scenic/attractive location - beach or hills, ideally not crammed in, peaceful. Not urban. Good freeway connection.

Helena Valley

Jane Brook

Duncraig

Gooseberry Hill

Lesmurdie

Glen Forrest

Kalamunda

Connolly

Yanchep

Waikiki

Kelmscott

Darlington

Many thanks in advance!

You have ruled out most because of need for good freeway connection and then most of the remaining because they are urban!! :wink: Would you not be better not worrying at this stage, just coming over, getting a short term rental in place for arrival, get job location sorted and then research suburbs? Otherwise we will all tell you different things, how good we think a suburb is against how somebody else does not like it and so on.

To be honest being prescriptive can be hard as well. What is considered "smart" to you? Modern? How old is modern? What is a "good" school? Good results or one that your kids like in terms of their own personal learning style? Scenic? Ocean views, park views or city views from the hills? Not crammed in? Good luck with that one. Peaceful. I live in a cal du sac and it is quiet but I am in an urban setting. In the country is not urban but that could mean well away from a freeway. It is really hard to say. Connolly there said it. But that is only my personal view and based on 10 years of living in Perth. Does not totally fit into your criteria but a hidden gem.

Also just search for threads on here, suburbs, and you will get swathes of posts to review. Anyway as I say all about tactics and I would just get here. It will work out fine.

Edited by StraighttothePoint

That's good, although 4/5 months sounds a little long in Scotland. Maybe 4/5 weeks then back to the warmth :-) Suppose I'll find out soon enough anyway.

Bear in mind I am a lot older than you and so have certain needs!! Like watching the glorious....... Also there is no real heat in Perth at the moment once you have got used to the weather over this period, it is winter.

Fair enough...would be a nice position to be in anyway :-) So well done. Any further recommendations on suburbs? Looking on the map I've got about 15 possibles in and around work I think.

Tough one as I say above in another post. Possibly better just waiting till you get here , Perth, to see everything is the best. Most of the suburbs a couple of km's north of the CBD are worth looking at, as are a few on the Fremantle line as far down as Cottesloe station. It is a trade off. Nice location for living in and a wee bit hassle to get to work or easy to work and travel to decent places for night life and lifestyle to suit younger folk? As I say better once you are here maybe?

Tough one as I say above in another post. Possibly better just waiting till you get here , Perth, to see everything is the best. Most of the suburbs a couple of km's north of the CBD are worth looking at, as are a few on the Fremantle line as far down as Cottesloe station. It is a trade off. Nice location for living in and a wee bit hassle to get to work or easy to work and travel to decent places for night life and lifestyle to suit younger folk? As I say better once you are here maybe?

Thanks again :-)

Yeah it seems that way. Apparently where I'll work is lovely - City beach. But as you say it's a little hassle because it's sort of in between two train lines so not the easiest to get to. Yeah maybe you're right then, just play it by ear when we arrive.

I'll look to get a short term rental likely from Gumtree as there seems to be plenty advertised. Again that's probably easier to sort when we arrive. Of course theres is one's through Airbnb bit not tok money at reasonable rates I didn't think - in comparison to those offered on gumtree anyway.

Thanks STTP.

You have ruled out most because of need for good freeway connection and then most of the remaining because they are urban!! :wink: Would you not be better not worrying at this stage, just coming over, getting a short term rental in place for arrival, get job location sorted and then research suburbs? Otherwise we will all tell you different things, how good we think a suburb is against how somebody else does not like it and so on.

To be honest being prescriptive can be hard as well. What is considered "smart" to you? Modern? How old is modern? What is a "good" school? Good results or one that your kids like in terms of their own personal learning style? Scenic? Ocean views, park views or city views from the hills? Not crammed in? Good luck with that one. Peaceful. I live in a cal du sac and it is quiet but I am in an urban setting. In the country is not urban but that could mean well away from a freeway. It is really hard to say. Connolly there said it. But that is only my personal view and based on 10 years of living in Perth. Does not totally fit into your criteria but a hidden gem.

Also just search for threads on here, suburbs, and you will get swathes of posts to review. Anyway as I say all about tactics and I would just get here. It will work out fine.

Now here I was, thinking I had got it right by doing the prep! I know you can't beat just coming over and seeing it with your own eyes and using your gut instinct to sus out a place. However, at this stage just to know that we can find affordable, desirable properties in 'good' locations is very reassuring. At one point we thought OMG we can't afford what we want! By spending hours on links seen on these threads, looking up location guides, property sites, google maps and street advisor I am beginning to get an idea of what is out there. I am doing the best I can, from where I am. I'm pleased you said to just relax, get the short term let, get the job then look as it would all work out fine. Not the usual words of advice I usually here from you Mr STTP! :wink:Usually they are more ones of mild irritation as people ask, "Where is a nice place to live?". You usually repeat the wise words of, 'Go do your research. What do you need?'. I thought I was being clever coming with my list under my arm! :tongue:

Hi,

I would like to throw in areas that maybe some one could give me some feedback on. We are currently doing research on possible areas to settle down in. At this stage we are keeping a very open mind and considering where would suit our needs. Not sure where OH will be working but know he will need easy access to freeway as he is a Construction Project Manager, so could be based anywhere!

Considered areas (would really love to get some personal feedback on these from those in the know, feel free to add your own suggestions too):

Helena Valley

Jane Brook

Duncraig

Gooseberry Hill

Lesmurdie

Glen Forrest

Kalamunda

Connolly

Yanchep

Waikiki

Kelmscott

Darlington

Many thanks in advance!

Okay, most of these are considered "out in the boonies" or "banjo country". None are near the freeway.

I'm not even sure they all have running water (may be rain water tanks).

The ones i have personal experience of :-

My colleague lives in Jane Brook. It's nice and quiet, with some new estates going up. Blocks are generally bigger, but he's always complaining of slow internet and no services.

Glen Forrest / Gooseberry Hill / Kalamunda - nice places, but pretty remote living. The airport means getting anywhere is a huge diversion. Few nice resturants / brewerys out there, but not a lot else.

Yanchep - South Geraldton. Got our dog from there. Didn't have mobile signal when I thought we were lost and was going to phone for directions.

Kelmscott - Went to Kelmscott highschool in the late 80's. it was proper feral then. Drove round there a year or two ago, and it didn't look like much had changed.

But then I'm a city person. I need to be in the CBD for work, and I'd hate to need to drive to the shops (or neighbours).

I didn't move to the other side of the world to spend more time commuting.

We basically looked inside Reid, Tonkin and Roe.

Where will you be working? It makes a big difference. I'd not want to commute to the CBD from any you've mentioned.

We rented for 18 months in Burswood as it was central, and then had a look at all the areas and slowly narrowed it down to a handful.

Edited by Bibbs

Guest guest9824
Okay, most of these are considered "out in the boonies" or "banjo country". None are near the freeway.

I'm not even sure they all have running water (may be rain water tanks).

The ones i have personal experience of :-

My colleague lives in Jane Brook. It's nice and quiet, with some new estates going up. Blocks are generally bigger, but he's always complaining of slow internet and no services.

Glen Forrest / Gooseberry Hill / Kalamunda - nice places, but pretty remote living. The airport means getting anywhere is a huge diversion. Few nice resturants / brewerys out there, but not a lot else.

Yanchep - South Geraldton. Got our dog from there. Didn't have mobile signal when I thought we were lost and was going to phone for directions.

Kelmscott - Went to Kelmscott highschool in the late 80's. it was proper feral then. Drove round there a year or two ago, and it didn't look like much had changed.

But then I'm a city person. I need to be in the CBD for work, and I'd hate to need to drive to the shops (or neighbours).

I didn't move to the other side of the world to spend more time commuting.

We basically looked inside Reid, Tonkin and Roe.

Where will you be working? It makes a big difference. I'd not want to commute to the CBD from any you've mentioned.

We rented for 18 months in Burswood as it was central, and then had a look at all the areas and slowly narrowed it down to a handful.

As much as I agree with most of your post Bibbs, and as STTP has already pointed out, people will have lots of different views on places, I live in one of the places you say is remote, and no running water. That is a slight exaggeration and things have changed. We have gas (which is not bottled), running water (not from a stream) and electric (not from a wind machine in the garden). We have sewer connection (so our number twos dont sit festering in a septic tank in the garden!!! I dont sit on my veranda chewing billtong, saying yeeeehawwww all the time and playing a banjo:wink:...well only on special occasions. We are 30 minutes in the car from the city (where my feral husband works) and 15 from the international airport, 20 from the domestic. We have a train station in Midland (yes a bit dodgy sometimes) the Great Eastern with its upgrades are now very good. We are serviced through Forrestfield and High Wycombe by the Roe and Tonkin Highways. So all in all not really a backwater...I get what you are saying about been a towny, and I was one myself, took me a while to get used to not being so close to the town I could smell the petrol fumes, but the air up here is pretty sweet smelling!!! Only my opinion....

Edited by guest9824

As much as I agree with most of your post Bibbs, and as STTP has already pointed out, people will have lots of different views on places, I live in one of the places you say is remote, and no running water. That is a slight exaggeration and things have changed. We have gas (which is not bottled), running water (not from a stream) and electric (not from a wind machine in the garden). We have sewer connection (so our number twos dont sit festering in a septic tank in the garden!!! I dont sit on my veranda chewing billtong, saying yeeeehawwww all the time and playing a banjo:wink:...well only on special occasions. We are 30 minutes in the car from the city (where my feral husband works) and 15 from the international airport, 20 from the domestic. We have a train station in Midland (yes a bit dodgy sometimes) the Great Eastern with its upgrades are now very good. We are serviced through Forrestfield and High Wycombe by the Roe and Tonkin Highways. So all in all not really a backwater...I get what you are saying about been a towny, and I was one myself, took me a while to get used to not being so close to the town I could smell the petrol fumes, but the air up here is pretty sweet smelling!!! Only my opinion....

It was not ment as offensive. I live 10mins East of Perth and was asked where my Banjo was by some locals at work. Lots of "why would you live out there!?".

I grew up in the hills of Armadale (now Mt Nasura) and then for a while in Dalkeith as a kid. So I've been at both ends of the Perth suburbs.

But it's hard to explain to people that Yanchep isn't a "short drive" to the city as it looks on the map. Best bet is to get out here. Then drive to these places and look.

I still want a place in the hills. Maybe one day after we get reliable internet up there and I can work from home.

Guest guest9824
It was not ment as offensive. I live 10mins East of Perth and was asked where my Banjo was by some locals at work. Lots of "why would you live out there!?".

I grew up in the hills of Armadale (now Mt Nasura) and then for a while in Dalkeith as a kid. So I've been at both ends of the Perth suburbs.

But it's hard to explain to people that Yanchep isn't a "short drive" to the city as it looks on the map. Best bet is to get out here. Then drive to these places and look.

I still want a place in the hills. Maybe one day after we get reliable internet up there and I can work from home.

I know you didnt mean it as offensive...mobile coverage is shocking, internet is not too bad though!

...dont forget to bring your banjo when you finally return to the dark side!!!:wink:.

Kazoo's, Banjo's, could get some spoons going and if anyone has an old tea chest and a broom handle we've almost an orchestra.

Do you guys have roads up there yet pea? Cars are very big now in the city and can get many places a horse would struggle.

I'll bring my own biltong, it'll be a wild night.

Guest guest9824
I love a bit of biltong too and curiously, my kids do too.

...Seriously:shocked:...its like chewing Ghandi's sandal (not that that has ever happened, but if it were to happen then IMO that is what it would be like) I would rather stick needles in my eyes (Jack Nicholson quote) than eat 'Spawn of Satan BiltongGGGGGGGGG'! Id much rather eat a plate of 'mushy peas'!!!:biggrin:...maybe with a cerviche of whale tongue on the side!

Another vote for Connolly, lived here 7 years now and really wouldn't want to live in any other suburb. Close to everything but nice and green and I think very quiet.

Now here I was, thinking I had got it right by doing the prep! I know you can't beat just coming over and seeing it with your own eyes and using your gut instinct to sus out a place. However, at this stage just to know that we can find affordable, desirable properties in 'good' locations is very reassuring. At one point we thought OMG we can't afford what we want! By spending hours on links seen on these threads, looking up location guides, property sites, google maps and street advisor I am beginning to get an idea of what is out there. I am doing the best I can, from where I am. I'm pleased you said to just relax, get the short term let, get the job then look as it would all work out fine. Not the usual words of advice I usually here from you Mr STTP! :wink:Usually they are more ones of mild irritation as people ask, "Where is a nice place to live?". You usually repeat the wise words of, 'Go do your research. What do you need?'. I thought I was being clever coming with my list under my arm! :tongue:

You are right about doing "some" prep but after I read your post I was just soooooooooooooo confused I kinda went into "daftie" mode :wink: I think the confusion was borne out of, yes great a list and you have done the prep, then on reading everything I quickly thought how the heck could you have Waikiki on the same list as Duncraig for example and what a range of suburb types, they are just too far apart in terms of cost even. Also, and most importantly, I had just missed three putts in a row for birdies on the last three holes at the golf and was still in a bit of a mood :wink: Anyway just look at Reiwa and look at the suburb information for W and D. Nothing wrong with either but my gut tells me once you had seen them both then one would be ruled out in an instant. Also your criteria honestly, from what I understand and said above, ruled out virtually every suburb on your list because of it's diversity and so I was also thinking "what research" have you done to come up with such a very, very broad list? What criteria could have thrown up these, not the ones you quoted surely :wink: Then to top it all because you have no idea on job location the whole thing could stand on it's head if your hubsband got a job iso far from your top three say that you would need to start again. Honestly it was really confusing and so sorry if I have made it worse :wink: I actually calmed down and forgot about my putting by the time I had finished replying to your post so thanks for that :wink: I know it is exciting times but .... :wink:

Based on re-reading a lot of your posts, my take on your perceived lifestyle requirements and what I know I will still have a 50p bet with you that the little gem I mentioned, once viewed and assuming you can afford it, will be near on or top of the list if it can fit into your husbands work location.

Oh and keep researching and I will keep being "mildly irratated" in reply to posts:wink: when it is deserved..... :wink:

Edited by StraighttothePoint