Suburbs

ali

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mrs Fast Twist

Hi there, I just arrived back in the UK after visiting my sister in Beechboro. I wasn't completely enamoured with some areas of Beechboro but there were areas around (Bassendean wasn't too bad, Ballajura is supposed to be alright, Ellenbrook was lovely (I thought). Some new developments right next to the Swan Valley Vineyards (ie Taylors Estate, Brookleigh Estate, St Leonards estate) went to some showhouses in those developments and they were stunning. I only went to the train station in Bassendean but there was some lovely houses not far from there. Malaga is not far from there at all (10-15 mins drive) although is an industrialised area (ie lots of big stores). Not sure on schools or anything but just thought I would offer a bit of advice seeing as I have just been there! :) I'm sure there are other suburbs just as near to Malaga on the west coast NOR but not as familiar with them.

Hi there, I just arrived back in the UK after visiting my sister in Beechboro. I wasn't completely enamoured with some areas of Beechboro but there were areas around (Bassendean wasn't too bad, Ballajura is supposed to be alright, Ellenbrook was lovely (I thought). Some new developments right next to the Swan Valley Vineyards (ie Taylors Estate, Brookleigh Estate, St Leonards estate) went to some showhouses in those developments and they were stunning. I only went to the train station in Bassendean but there was some lovely houses not far from there. Malaga is not far from there at all (10-15 mins drive) although is an industrialised area (ie lots of big stores). Not sure on schools or anything but just thought I would offer a bit of advice seeing as I have just been there! :) I'm sure there are other suburbs just as near to Malaga on the west coast NOR but not as familiar with them.

Hiya - thanks for your message.

We will be moving into a house in Bayswater - we were offered it by the first short-term let people we rented it from. We move the first week of May. In the Meantime we are Dianella which is nice and quiet, We enrolled our son into the nearest school to where we will be living and have met a couple of parents there who say the area we will be in is very nice. I'm finding my feet in the area, mainly shopping ;-), and we have got our son in to the Bayswater under 6's Soccer team and our daughter starts gymnastics next week. I think we fell on our feet a bit, we'll see soon enough. Its all been positive so far.

I do appreciate your effort to reply to my question :-D

Est x

SUBIACO / SHENTON PARK

Ok, so probably not in most peoples price range, but is where we live so thought I would add!

Subiaco is approx 4km from the City, it has regular bus services that take about 10 minutes to get into St Georges Terrace. It also has a train station 'Subiaco' which is 3 stops from the main Perth station.

It has it's own 'hub', by which I mean supermarket (Farmer Jacks, Coles Woolworths) and a Farmers Market held at the Subiaco Primary School each Saturday morning. There are countless restaurants and bars, you are spoilt for choice in terms of what you would like to eat - Subiaco has it all. There is a cinema and the Regal Theatre which has performances most nights. There are plenty of beauty therapists, hair salons, coffee shops, ice-cream parlors, clothes stores, book shops, pharmacys, news agents, fast food (Hungry Jacks, KFC) and even a Bunnings tucked away.

It's close to Kings Park (we live across the road from it) and if you wanted you could walk into the City through the park in about 30 minutes.

We are 10 mintues from the beach, the nearest being either Cottesloe or City Beach - we favour City Beach as it's slightly quieter and has free all day parking and more BBQ's.

We don't have children, but the 2 primary schools in the area are very good (we hear), these are Subiaco Primary and Rosalie Primary. There also seems to be good childcare around (having driven past a few nursarys in the area).

UWA is just around the corner and has lots of sports clubs that are open to non-students. Hubby has joined their football team and trains twice a week and plays matches on a Sunday.

House prices - ouch - according to RIWA the median last year was $1,300,000. The houses tend to be older with smaller blocks, there are some larger ones around us, but you obviously pay more. There are some new build flats going up near the station, but even those seem to be out of reach for 'normal' people. Starting at around the $500k for a 1 bed appartment.

Rents, well, depends how much you want to pay! I think the average is around $500 - $800 per week, with some either side of that. We pay $430 for a 2 bed furnished unit with a garden at the bottom of Rokeby Road opposite the park. We think we've got a bargain for the location :wink:

Hiya - thanks for your message.

We will be moving into a house in Bayswater - we were offered it by the first short-term let people we rented it from. We move the first week of May. In the Meantime we are Dianella which is nice and quiet, We enrolled our son into the nearest school to where we will be living and have met a couple of parents there who say the area we will be in is very nice. I'm finding my feet in the area, mainly shopping ;-), and we have got our son in to the Bayswater under 6's Soccer team and our daughter starts gymnastics next week. I think we fell on our feet a bit, we'll see soon enough. Its all been positive so far.

I do appreciate your effort to reply to my question :-D

Est x

Eweasel any chance you could pass on the details of the rental people you used.

I'm in the Western suburbs - rarely mentioned here - the choice seems to be NOR or SOR which is fair enough as it is very expensive. There's also the hills - East which rarely gets a mention and good value for money if you can cope with not being close to the sea.

Love the Western suburbs - near to everything and great schools.

• 2 months later...

This is a great thread..incredibly helpful! My partner will be working in the cbd. He would like a commute of 30 mins max by train. Can anyone advise us of nice friendly not too expensive suburbs that would fit this criteria. Thinking NOR as I want to do some voluntary work in Malaga.

We have looked at Carrine, karryinup, osbourne park Stirling innaloo, doubleview, wembley.. Any opinions on these places would be greatly received!!

We have looked at Carrine, karryinup, osbourne park Stirling innaloo, doubleview, wembley.. Any opinions on these places would be greatly received!!

Roughly the nearer to the city, the better the suburb and the better the schools (and the more expensive the rent) - so out of those Wembley and Doubleview would be the best. They will feed into either Shenton College (some parts of Wembley) or Churchlands - both terrific Govt high schools.

Hi,

glad I found this thred

Were looking at Perth 2013 feb/ march

had our hearts set on NOR, Kinross, butler, wanneroo etc but due to lack of rentals ( so it seems) started to look SOU secret harbour, Mandurah.

need good high and primary schools with plumbing work ( I'm not after much) , oh and I forgot to mention a 4 bed house with pool for $200 a week !!!!!

Cheers

Ian

Roughly the nearer to the city, the better the suburb and the better the schools (and the more expensive the rent) - so out of those Wembley and Doubleview would be the best. They will feed into either Shenton College (some parts of Wembley) or Churchlands - both terrific Govt high schools.

Thank you for your reply. Where would you go if you didnt have to consider schools, we don't have children so would be more interested in being near a nice gym!!Also a rental of up to $450.. Thanks!

I hope you are joking. Even in Mandurah which is a lot cheaper than Perth your not going to get a house for $200 a week. A 4x2 house with a pool is going to be twice that minimum. We pay $325 but that is a 3 bedroom with a shared pool and we have been lucky as haven't had a rent increase for years.

Hi,

glad I found this thred

Were looking at Perth 2013 feb/ march

had our hearts set on NOR, Kinross, butler, wanneroo etc but due to lack of rentals ( so it seems) started to look SOU secret harbour, Mandurah.

need good high and primary schools with plumbing work ( I'm not after much) , oh and I forgot to mention a 4 bed house with pool for $200 a week !!!!!

Cheers

Ian

I hope you are joking. Even in Mandurah which is a lot cheaper than Perth your not going to get a house for $200 a week. A 4x2 house with a pool is going to be twice that minimum. We pay $325 but that is a 3 bedroom with a shared pool and we have been lucky as haven't had a rent increase for years.

Hi, I was kidding, we all wish you could get rentals for that price !!!

Thank you for your reply. Where would you go if you didn't have to consider schools, we don't have children so would be more interested in being near a nice gym!!Also a rental of up to $450.. Thanks!

if there is just two of you then you then try Subiaco or Lederville or as near to there as possible. I'm a member of Lords gym - it was privately owned and when the owner was going to close it there was uproar from the community - so much so that the council took it over and subsidized it. Has great facilities and is used by everyone in the community from babies to 90 year olds - lovely feel to it. http://www.lords.com.au/

Guest Mama no 5

This is a really great thread I hope people keep posting :smile: I know I am probably asking a really silly question but......my husband has a job in Perth CBD would he be able to commute from SOR or would we have to live NOR ?? He spends hours travelling here in the UK so he is flexible on journey times driving or probably train. We are hoping to come out September 2012 areas that have taken my eye include Leeming, Bullcreek and Duncraig, chosen mainly based on schools. We would have about $600 a week for rent, would need 4 bed house is this reasonable in these areas ?

Thanks Lyndsey

Guest Mama no 5

Thanks for replying. That's good to know about the commute, is that by train ? so we could choose either South or North. I have looked at the real estate agents and I think we should be ok with the budget just hope we can get a rental as a lot of people seem to find it very difficult.

Thanks again, Lyndsey

Check out realestate.com.au to see what you get for your budget. Pretty much all NOR and as far south as Mandurah are within an hours commute. Duncraig is expensive

• 2 weeks later...
Guest J&L Curran

There is so much information on this!! :smile: This is my first post. My OH & I are moving to Perth end of Aug 2012 as my OH has just got a job in Wanneroo. Have been trying to figure out where would be best to rent NOR so no long journey or SOR as that is where I have been able to find most info on (have seen very few rentals in Wanneroo). It is just the two of us so schools not an issue. Would anyone be able to tell me much about Wanneroo or the surrounding suburbs? Would really appreciate it.

There is so much information on this!! :smile: This is my first post. My OH & I are moving to Perth end of Aug 2012 as my OH has just got a job in Wanneroo. Have been trying to figure out where would be best to rent NOR so no long journey or SOR as that is where I have been able to find most info on (have seen very few rentals in Wanneroo). It is just the two of us so schools not an issue. Would anyone be able to tell me much about Wanneroo or the surrounding suburbs? Would really appreciate it.

wanneroo has grown into many suburbs over the years , carramar , ashby. sinagra, darch,tapping. regent waters are all wanneroo and around the corner you have edgewater and woodvale all very close