life in armadale

Guest boomarang girl

Guest boomarang girl

hiya,can anyone give me an honest answer to what life is like in armadale??...have been told its not safe to walk out at night is this a fair comment to make....what kind of activities can u do...thanks

I work in Armadale and there are some great areas, the shire has invested a lot of money and they have a great shopping centre and lots of events are staged throughout the year. Like anywhere it depends on which part you live, there are pockets that have more low cost housing than others if that makes a difference.

Like anywhere again I'd always be cautious walking anywhere at night ... it's certainly no worse than being in Northbridge on a friday/saturday night. There are no night clubs in Armadale. I think the Armadale train line is one of the worst for 'crime' but i'm not sure if those crime figures include things like ticket fraud etc., There are some excellent suburbs that fall into Armadale City - Harrisdale, Mount Nassura, Rolystone (as examples), so you don't necessarily have to live in the centre

Hi

I live in Seville Grove (East of Armadale) myself and my partner rented here when we landed 2 years ago and we have just moved into a house that we have had bult. There are parts of Armadale like anywhere that are "less desirable" and it does have a bad rap sometimes, especially the older areas . Alot of the people that talk down about the area haven't been in the last 5 years and there has been alot or re-generation work in the centre. There is 2 big shopping centres (all open Sundays :) ) and there is almost always some event going on. Its only a stones throw from the hills areas such as Roleystone, Mt Nasura etc. Its also right off the Tonkin which makes it a breeze for my work commute. Its all about personal choice and yes there is crime but again that could happen anywhere. I would suggest visiting the town have a look on real estate.com.au etc and see for yourself, I always thought that it was a stop gap for a rental but I really do love living here x

Guest boomarang girl

Thanks for the reply's....didnt think it would be that bad its like everywhere else dont annoy people and they wont annoy you!..hope to move out 2013 have a son who is 18 and daughter who is 16,is there stuff do hopefully they will be working/uni..

Guest boomarang girl

life of a teenager eh!!!...hoping to start paperwork for me and the kids and hubby next year...cant wait..whats employment like hubby is health&safety and im level 2/3 carer...

Guest LaneyOOO

Hiya Boomarang Girl, I have to go to work now but I will get back on tonight and you give you lots of info about the Armadale area, I have lived in the area 22 years. Have a great day everyone

Elaine xxx

Guest LaneyOOO

Evening everyone, okay ARMADALE, well I grew up on the wrong side of Armadale road as people would say, great teenage years, no trouble, we walked everywhere.

But of course there was trouble we did'nt hang out with people who were trouble or on drugs etc. I have great parents who always let us have our friends over we had a big enclosed patio so we would all hang out there.

So that side of Armadale is not so good now. I bought my first house in 1994 with my best friend on Gribble St, never had any trouble at all.

I then married lived in Kelmscott (Clifton Hills) for a couple of years then back to Seville Grove and still no trouble, Seville Grove it pretty good.

The areas to avoid, now this is just my opinion.

Brookdale,West Armadale and Westfield I know that Armadale and surrounding areas have the worst Domestic Violence in Perth, so I have been told. It all has to do with Drink,Drugs and sadly alot to do with Mental Health Problems also.

Armadale has been great to me and my family, we have all done really well and turned out alright, but that is down to having fantastic parents. I believe you if you keep away from trouble you dont have anything to worry about.

The shopping centre is great now we have everything we need, don't know the last time I had to drive to Carousel which can be a nightmare for parking.

We have nice parks, and most of the people are fantastic, like everywhere you get good and bad.

But really you have to look at what is at your doorstep I now live in Clifton Hills Kelmscott and I have a 2minute drive up the Canning Mills Rd that gives you the most amazing views out to then city on one side the up the rd a bit fantastic views of the hills of Roleystone.

We have Araluen which is gorgeous, Churchmans Brook Dam for a great day out.

Serpentine Falls 20 minutes from the Centre of Armadale.Elizabethan Village which is great for Lunch or Dinner and has a great outside area for the kids to play about.

My sister lives in Mt Nasura just near the Brookton Highway and it is lovely there too.

The Hospital is fantastic, Ali works there and so does my Mum and a few other people I know.

All in all it is not too bad it does get a bad rep, but I have to say Perth has become alot worse over the years and alot of stuff has been happening in alot of places lately.

I would'nt travel on a train anywhere on my own after dark at all lol, I am a wimp, same as walking I would'nt walk at in the dark hehe.

But the Armadale line is supposed to be not so nice after dark.

I will think of some more stuff and come back

Thanks Elaine xxx

Guest boomarang girl

Thanks Elaine..must agree with u on what ive seen on internet armadale looks a lovely place with the parks etc...

like everywhere else keep your head down and dont go looking for trouble look forward to hearing more about it..

Thanks Elaine, I have to say that in the 4 years I've worked there the money that the shire has invested into Armadale has been amazing, during school hols I actually bring the kids down to shop there because it's so good

• 3 weeks later...
Guest keith73

Thank you for all the info :notworthy:we are hoping to be over in August and want to start off in that neck of the woods as Kelly will be working in the hospital, like the look of seville grove, kelmscott and champion lakes.

Can any one give me information about the Primary schools in and around I have looked on the WA Schools website but would rather hear from someone who has used them.

Thanks again

Keith

Guest LaneyOOO

Hi Keith, I live in kelmscott and the best public school in the Armadale area is Clifton Hills Primary School, I moved 2 doors away from the school just so I could get my kids in there, the house prices are a bit more than Seville Grove and Armadale which mean we went from a 4x2 to 3x1, but it's all good. Rentals are very hard to get up here in Clifton Hills kelmscott I have been told.

Schools I don't recommend from hear say, so please do no get cross at me:-)

Gwynne Park

Grovelands

Westfield

Willandra

Neerigen Brook

Good Schools some from Personal Experiences

Armadale PS

Challis PC (kids old school not bad)

Pioneer Village as Ali has mentioned (private school0

John Walliston (private school)

Roleystone PS

Kingsley Primary School

and of course Clifton Hills lol.

Please feel free to ask me anything on certain parts of the Armadale area

it has a good few areas

Brookdale

West Armadale

Seville Grove

Champion Lakes

Westfield

Kelmscott

Roleystone

Mt Richon

Mt Nasuara

Bedfordale

some very good parts and some not so good parts

Elaine x

• 10 months later...
Guest miss hill

OKAY, listen everyone! I have lived in Armadale for the last 18 years so I know what I am talking about. My dad moved from England to Armadale a while back. I was born here and have been brought up here. Trust me, this is not the place you want to bring up a child. My dad says he made a mistake coming here, and would like to go back to England but sadly, nto enough money to do so. There is so much crime here; and I am talking about unprovoked assults by people who are drunk or high. Just recently a man was assutled at armadale petrol station when filling up his car petrol tank. The attack was unprovoked and not resolved by police until the next day as police service is not 24/7. If you ring them, you are put on hold. It is not safe and the police can't do much about it. There is constantly loud fights on the train, so if you have a car, then use it and never take the train. I have witnessed fights on the train during the day. I have also been approached by abusive and drunk aboriginals on the sidewalks walking to the shops. If you look at them, they will get angry. As a result, I am always walking with my head down. That is not a real way of living. Would love to walk out my house to the shops with my head held high! and not down at the floor because I am scared to start a fight by accidently making eye contact. Even if you don't stare at them, if they are high enough they will approach you. I have been spat on in the face by a drunk man during bright daylight! the man was abusive telling me to go back to own country when I had done nothing to provoke him. He threatened me loudly but yet no one came to help me (there was many people around looking but not helping). SO, my advice, don't live in Armadale. I have lived here for 18 years, and all i want to do is get out of here! I would say Rolystone and Kelmscott is nice but lately, there has been assults at gunpoint in the kelmscott area; and many thefts and burglaries in rolystone as the poor people know these people are rich, so hence are targeted. Do yourself a favour and find a place up North from Perth, it will be much better.

Guest miss hill

Don't move to Kelmscott. Just recently, I saw on the news that there have been burglaries and unprovoked assualts on innocent individuals at gunpoint. Seville Grove is too close to Armadale. So I would go to Champion Lakes if I was you. But personally, I have lived in the Armadale area for the last 18 years; and if I had the chance, I would find a home up North instead. Too many unprovoked attacks, even on the guards working (during broad daylight too).

Guest Perthlife

Hi Can I just ask WHY choose Armadale??????

I have only been here for 3 months and I work with other brits some who have been here for 25 years, I am forever asking them which is the best places to live, I am renting in rockingham at the moment, nearly every single one of them tell me you can go almost anywhere but stay clear of armadale! I ask why and they just say stay clear if you want yeh kids to grow up without crime and drugs, so I am only talking from what I have been told, I am still unsure as to where to live, Serpentine in the country is looking hopefull. Good Luck with your choice!

Hi Can I just ask WHY choose Armadale??????

I have only been here for 3 months and I work with other brits some who have been here for 25 years, I am forever asking them which is the best places to live, I am renting in rockingham at the moment, nearly every single one of them tell me you can go almost anywhere but stay clear of armadale! I ask why and they just say stay clear if you want yeh kids to grow up without crime and drugs, so I am only talking from what I have been told, I am still unsure as to where to live, Serpentine in the country is looking hopefull. Good Luck with your choice"

When we first arrived we rented at Rockingham and a British guy who has lived in Perth for over 18 years said don't even consider buying in that area as it is well known as a high crime area! Just shows that different folks have different ideas of suburbs (that they usually do not live in!) As for Armadale, crime is not just a problem there, it is a huge problem all over Perth, SOR as well as NOR! You only need to read the newspapers or watch the news on tv to realize that! Recent reports include house invasion in Secret Harbour, a very common expat choice. Another home invasion reported yesterday in Girrawheen, a 15 minute drive from the more affluent area of Duncraig. Many other suburbs have had crimes of drugs, shootings etc reported in the online Perth

Now in the last few weeks/months. I don't think any suburb is immune to crime...

Edited by Wimpy69

Because it is cheap - median house price $275,000. Only 6 suburbs left where median house price is less than that - Camilo (next to Armadale) then three suburbs in kwinana ( Orelia, Calista, Parmelia- avoid kwinana if you possibly can - high school is truly awful) and Hillman (Rokingham). Cheaper houses, more low income families.

• 6 months later...
Hi Boomarang Girl

Did you move to armadale ? I have been offered job and I am currently looking for places to rent so would be very grateful for any advice. I have two children.

thank you

Hi there

We moved to Perth almost 2 years ago now from Essex. We initially (made the mistake) bought a house in Camillo which is a suburb that has been talked about on here and is in the Armadale area. I know everybody's different but we were truly unhappy there. We loved being a walk from Champion Lakes and the view of the hills but for us it was not a place that we felt comfortable in. For all the reasons that have been mentioned on here. We had the nicest house on the street rather than the worst house on the nicest street (much safer bet I think). The long and short of it is that 9 weeks ago now we got tennants for our house in Camillo and now rent ourselves in Ferndale until we can afford to sell. Boy was that a good move!! We are all 100 percent totally happier. Ferndale is in the Canning council area and is about a further 25 mins away from the armadale area, so still South and easily commutable to Armadale. I have the gorgous Canning River at the end of my quiet street, I have more infrastructure around me and a sense of community that we were badly missing after leaving an Essex Village. The kids are comfortable and have joined local groups. Its very hard to truly feel what a place is like until you are there and sometimes you have to make a mistake in order to learn from them and know what you do want next time round! Basically we new that when we came to Perth we wouldn't be able to afford the places that we truly would love to be in but we seemed to have found ourselves a happy place anyway. Best of luck with your decisions.

Armadale as a whole isn't that bad. I grew up in Roleystone went to school there for the first 10 years and then finished off my year 11 and 12 at Kelmscott Senior High. I left there and have spent the last 11 years in the UK. We are heading back to Australia as a family with 2 small children and are going to live back in Roleystone with my family who have been there since 1972.

As with everywhere there are good parts and bad. You can say that about all suburbs.

We will start looking at buying a house in Roleystone mid 2013 and our son is already registered to start school at the new Roleystone Community College (year 1) in Jan13.

Goodluck with the move and hope you find somewhere that you like, be it NOR or SOR.