English Style Bacon in Perth??

nicolac34

We hate it too!

Coles sells raw bacon which is not too bad. You need to look for it in the raw meat fridges, they also do black pudding if you're that way inclined.

It's called Irish bacon I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the butchers is your best bet. There is one in the Southlands shopping centre in Willetton that does good bacon and Frank's Speciality meats on Wray Avenue in Freo does just about anything. I asked him if he could cut me some belly strips and was keen to get whatever I wanted. There's another great butchers on South Street at the top of the hill in Hilton.

I think if you ask any butcher a good one will cut whatever you want, just ask for thinly sliced belly slices if you want streaky or thinly sliced loin if you want back bacon.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah bacon and pork pies here are a issue for us to, The bacons very rubbery and wet? The pork pies are 'ok' but not a patch on UK pies.

Just manned up and getting on with it, we found the best way to cook the local bacon is to BBQ it also, strange really but it does help get rid of the 'wet suit' feel to it.

• 6 months later...

I think my amazing hubbie found some real bacon!!

Was raw, not shiny or cooked/cured looking, looked EXACTLY like the real deal back in the UK and tasted great! It was called 'Irish Bacon' and was in the meat section with other pork (rather than with other bacon) in our local Coles! So Stu above got it right.... although I reckon that's it for the next six months - probably wont see it again!

IMG_1046.jpg

By "English Style" bacon, do you mean where bacon is pumped full of water to add weight and cost to the consumer (meaning you actually get less bacon compared to the weight your being charges for) which then pours water out when you start cooking turning it into a stew unless you drain it all out.

Not sure why this is something you'd be actively seeking ?

By "English Style" bacon, do you mean where bacon is pumped full of water to add weight and cost to the consumer (meaning you actually get less bacon compared to the weight your being charges for) which then pours water out when you start cooking turning it into a stew unless you drain it all out.

Not sure what you've been eating, but it doesn't sound like quality bacon. Maybe you just got the cheap stuff.

I'd like bacon that bends and doesn't feel like shoe soles. And preferably tastes piggy.

Not sure why this is something you'd be actively seeking ?

No 'water' came out of my bacon, if you buy decent quality then you shouldn't have this problem!

• 3 weeks later...

Was going to say he PJ McGloughlins Irish pudding black and white and their pork sausages are lovely. Yet to see them do bacon but the only place to get it in Bunbury is the IGA and its hit and miss as to whethr they stock it. There is a great free range butchers down here who does genuine wood smoked bacon which is a million times better than most of the fragranced bacon you get from the supermarkets.

• 10 months later...