Nurses Thread!

Mad Cow

Hi, Coming over in 6 weeks to hopefully start work at SCGH as Graduate Nurse (brought my start date forwards by 1 week after I had started booking everything so it's got a bit fraught and tight for time!!!) Notice handed in on Thursday...Gonna be a few shocked faces when I go back to work next week. Excited, but scared as coming ahead of family. Got my 2 rotations and am really pleased with them. :jiggy:

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Obviously you're going to have to get your APHRA reg done. Medicals have an expiry date so I wouldn't do those. As for ILETS, I don't know a lot about it as that was a requirement after we migrated. Just to say I work with a nurse about your age who came over, a few months ago, on a WHV and the hospital have sponsored her on a 457 visa, so it is possible. I hope someone can answer your ILETS query! Good luck! Keep us posted! We're a nice little family on here.

Hello,

Thank you for all the information and it's good to know others have done it this way. Ideally she would get a sponsorship prior to coming over which I don't think is unattainable. I've had a read about and think I'm correct in saying that if she is sponsored on a 457 visa you don't require to sit an IELTS just prove that you've studied in English for over 4 years I think - hopefully someone could clarify this.

Regarding the medicals do you think it's advisable to not do them until an employer/sponsor requires them? We've basically agreed that we're planning on coming over in September now. Will be sure to keep you posted.

Kyle

Guest Joannev
Hi, Coming over in 6 weeks to hopefully start work at SCGH as Graduate Nurse (brought my start date forwards by 1 week after I had started booking everything so it's got a bit fraught and tight for time!!!) Notice handed in on Thursday...Gonna be a few shocked faces when I go back to work next week. Excited, but scared as coming ahead of family. Got my 2 rotations and am really pleased with them. :jiggy:

Hi, I am just interested to know how you secured your graduate nurse position and how much work experience you have had since graduating.

Guest Janeydv

Hi everyone,

I have passed my academic ielts and i'm just getting the last of my paperwork ready to be certified to send to ANMAC. I have just noticed that my NMC documentation doesn't have my middle name on, neither does my uni transcript. Will this be rejected? Also, am i supposed to get my statement of employment and reference certified by a notary or can i just send the originals? Thanks. The last thing i want is to wait months to find out that i have to repeat the process!

Hi, I have just had an email from AHPRA saying that they have now got all the info they need to process my application, so been passed to a manager to be assessed. :-) bit excited :-) A little apprehensive as I can't seem to find many advertised community jobs ie, school nursing/ child and family nursing or public health that isn't in a remote area and that offers employer sponsorship :-/

Guest pip1974
Hi, I'm a staff nurse and we are applying for a 190 under my husband. As we are at the medicals/ police checks stage I'm going to start the aphra process, can anyone tell me how long it will take approx?

I am currently working on a chemotherapy day case unit ( since July,2012) and before that worked on the inpatient oncology wards at leeds hospital. Where will be the best place or me to start looking for a similar type of job? Any advice appreciated !

Thanks

hi there...i have heard the AHPRA takes about 2-5 months depending on busy they are :unsure:

Hi Karen, I used to work at SCGH. It's a good hospital.

Hello,

Thank you for all the information and it's good to know others have done it this way. Ideally she would get a sponsorship prior to coming over which I don't think is unattainable. I've had a read about and think I'm correct in saying that if she is sponsored on a 457 visa you don't require to sit an IELTS just prove that you've studied in English for over 4 years I think - hopefully someone could clarify this.

Regarding the medicals do you think it's advisable to not do them until an employer/sponsor requires them? We've basically agreed that we're planning on coming over in September now. Will be sure to keep you posted.

Kyle

I wouldn't do the medicals as they have an expiry date, I think it's 12 months so it would be cash wasted at the moment!

Hi everyone,

I have passed my academic ielts and i'm just getting the last of my paperwork ready to be certified to send to ANMAC. I have just noticed that my NMC documentation doesn't have my middle name on, neither does my uni transcript. Will this be rejected? Also, am i supposed to get my statement of employment and reference certified by a notary or can i just send the originals? Thanks. The last thing i want is to wait months to find out that i have to repeat the process!

I would think as long as your statement of employment is on official headed paper then it wouldn't need to be verified? Cheers.

Hi, I am just interested to know how you secured your graduate nurse position and how much work experience you have had since graduating.

http://www.nursing.health.wa.gov.au/graduate/grad_registered.cfm

I'm coming over ahead on my husband's 175 visa (skilled independant). Whilst we were waiting for it to go through I decided to do my nurse training. I qualified last Feb. 1st job ITU (too far from home/family and a bit too much travelling). Now working nearer home in a busy surgical admissions unit.

If you use the link it explains quite a lot more than I will be able to remember but it bsically works a bit like University application. You make 5 choices of hospitals (they have a list of ones taking part in the program) in order of preference (I had a good look on the websites and went for SCGH as it has a strong teaching base, although it was still a bit hit and miss). Applications are processed selectively, with Australians and permenant residents at the top. Fortunately as we have the 175 I was selected in the first round (applied July, interviewed August, offered job september/oct). The telephone interview was surreal, but my interviewers were really nice and gave me as much time as needed. I told them I was nervous!

I've just been told my rotations and am nervous but excited. Looking forwards to the challenge

I think the hardest bit for me has been getting all the AHPRA application started. I missed a couple of documents and it's hard relying on others to make sure it gets through to the right place/person. Luckily some very helpful people out there.:jiggy:

Hi Karen, I used to work at SCGH. It's a good hospital.

Thanx for that :) They seem really nice and friendly. I visited last year when we went over to verify visas and as they knew about this, asked me to visit. Lots of investment going on over there which is good. The Graduate program, seemed the best way for me to integrate with support into a new system. Neurosurgery and CCU, couldn't have asked for better :wink: Sorry I love the smilies :)

Guest vickyphillips40

Hi all, I am still in the UK. I am a registered nurse band 6 with 5 years experience as a trained nurse on an acute short stay medical ward, but in total i have 22 years experience within the hospital starting as a healthcare assistant (auxiliary nurse). I am looking at a 457 sponsored visa. I am currently waiting for my NMC renewal in March then I will apply to APHRA. I think I have all the required documents just need to get them certified by Notary then apply. All being well we; (husband and 4 children), are hoping to make the move by the end of this year (2012). I would love to be offered a job at st john of gods subbiaco, as I have a friend who works there and says it's a fantastic hospital. However any sponsorship within the right ward around WA NOR would be fantastic. I wish you all luck and hope to meet up with some of you if we are lucky to make the move x

Hi. I am just about ready to apply for ANMAC but i am struggling to fit my role into the ANZSCO code. Please help as i cannot find any information on the internet by others who have submitted an ANMAC form with the same role as me and there must be lots of people that have. I am a Community/District Staff nurse but my role does not fit into the Community health code. I am wondering whether to put it down as medical as i do look after diabetic patients and administer insulin, flush Picc lines, dress wounds, insert catheters etc or aged care? but not all my patients are elderly. Please help as this is all i have to find now so that my boss can write me a reference relating to it.

Thank you,

Hi. I just wondered what information a letter of determination from ANMAC has on it? Can anyone help? I am just wondering because i have not been with my current employer for long and just cannot bring myself to ask for a reference so i wondered if i just used my last employment which ended september 2012 but then it will look like i have not worked since. It would help if i knew what was on the letter of determination that i would have to send to the diac and then i would know whether to do that. Does it say when last employment was or does it just say successful skills employment. Also does it state your anzsco code on it? Thank you.

Hi. I just wondered what information a letter of determination from ANMAC has on it? Can anyone help? I am just wondering because i have not been with my current employer for long and just cannot bring myself to ask for a reference so i wondered if i just used my last employment which ended september 2012 but then it will look like i have not worked since. It would help if i knew what was on the letter of determination that i would have to send to the diac and then i would know whether to do that. Does it say when last employment was or does it just say successful skills employment. Also does it state your anzsco code on it? Thank you.

It's a while ago, but mine just said something like successful skills assessment and the code.

I got 2 references from my employer plus a letter from HR confirming my employment details ie. length of service and grade.

hi guys, just a quick question ... i have a hearing aid and i was wondering if i should mention this on my C.V or not?

Personally, I don't think it needs to go on your CV, but if you get an interview you could mention it so that the panel can speak more clearly if necessary.

I thought I'd start this off as I have had a few enquiries from nurses lately! We could all help each other whether we are here already or are contemplating the move! I'm a registered nurse and have been here for 5 years. I work in a hospital on an acute medical ward! Introduce yourselves all you nurses out there!:biggrin:

Hi there i am currently a student nurse with just over a year left till i qualify. I have read and heard that people have organised a postion and found a sponsor in australia as a newly qualified nurse. I have many years experience as an Emergency medical technician in the ambulance service and wonder if i could use this to help me on the experience front?? Ideally i would like to get out to Perth as i have a young family in 2014/15. Any suggestions appreciated