Nurses Thread!

Mad Cow

Hello Ali/Mad Cow and of course everyone else,

Looking into sorting out APHRA registration just now but we're a bit lost. I was hoping someone could basically provide an idiots guide to completing the whole process. As mentioned previously my girlfriend is hoping to either gain sponsorship prior to arriving (457 visa) or arrive on a WHV and gain a sponsorship. What exactly is it that she requires to gain a sponsored visa? Is it registration with APHRA via the AGOS 40 application form, is there anything else required? It mentions a fee for for assessment also but I thought this wasn't required if gaining work via a sponsorship.

Just a little bit lost at the minute so any help work be greatly appreciated. We're planning on coming out in September so not that long away :-)

Thanks,

Kyle

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kyle,

I didn't have to fill any forms out for AHPRA as my registration was just transfered from the nusing and midwifery board. To gain a sponsored visa you first and foremost need an offer from an employer, you don't need an assessment for the sponsored visa. Your girlfriend will have to register with AHPRA if she wants to work as a nurse (even on a WHV), and I believe it can take a few months for that to be completed. She would then get a letter of eligability and have 12 months to present at the office in person to complete the registration process.

My suggestion if she wants sponsorship is to start applying for jobs that are advertised and put in the cover letter that she is seeking sponsorship and that she has applied to AHPRA

Hey Caroline,

i'm a doctor (anaesthetics/chronic pain) currently working at SCGH. Yes, here they have anaesthetic techs, not nurses. The techs training isn't to the same level as ODPs so there's some things they don't do but as it's the closest role there is here to being an ODP, there is a lot of British ODPs working as anaesthetic techs here. I don't know what the options would be if coming from a background of being an anaesthetic nurse. I haven't met any British anaesthetic nurses here. I guess maybe recovery or ICU? Or maybe you can apply as an anaesthetic tech if you really didn't want to lave anaesthetics, but it would seem a bit of a waste of your nursing training and I suspect the pay isn't as good.

Guest Janeydv

Hi,

i am getting my documents for ANMAC certified tomorrow and i just wondered if I was better off getting the ones required for my visa done too? I know it's going to take months before I am even invited (touch wood I am invited) so do you think it's worth getting them done at once now or do they have to have a more recent date on when I apply? Hope that makes sense.

Hello Ali/Mad Cow and of course everyone else,

Looking into sorting out APHRA registration just now but we're a bit lost. I was hoping someone could basically provide an idiots guide to completing the whole process. As mentioned previously my girlfriend is hoping to either gain sponsorship prior to arriving (457 visa) or arrive on a WHV and gain a sponsorship. What exactly is it that she requires to gain a sponsored visa? Is it registration with APHRA via the AGOS 40 application form, is there anything else required? It mentions a fee for for assessment also but I thought this wasn't required if gaining work via a sponsorship.

Just a little bit lost at the minute so any help work be greatly appreciated. We're planning on coming out in September so not that long away :-)

Thanks,

Kyle

Hi Kyle, not a visa expert I'm afraid! Def apply for APHRA now as it takes some time.To get sponsorship she would need to contact hospitals direct. I'm not entirely sure what is needed there but they would let you know! Have you got a list of hospitals in Perth? If you haven't I can help you with that, let me know.

Hi there i am currently a student nurse with just over a year left till i qualify. I have read and heard that people have organised a postion and found a sponsor in australia as a newly qualified nurse. I have many years experience as an Emergency medical technician in the ambulance service and wonder if i could use this to help me on the experience front?? Ideally i would like to get out to Perth as i have a young family in 2014/15. Any suggestions appreciated

Hi, you would need to get a grad programme here as a newly qualified nurse. Unfortunately these tend to go to the nurses here. You would need clinical experience to apply for a perm visa. You could try contacting hospitals nearer the time as things may alter before then? Good luck!

Hello Ali/Mad Cow,

Thank you both for the response it is greatly appreciated. Just regarding the fees for the APHRA registration how much should she actually be paying? There seems to be two mandatory fees and then an optional fee. One is an assessment fee which we didn't think would be required.

Sorry about all the questions but thank you for all the help.

Kyle

EDIT: Just had a further look into this and am I correct in thinking the fees that she should be paying is both the Assessment fee $220 which I assume is mandatory and not related to ANMAC skills assessment and the Application fee $160 but also the optional box which you input yourself is the registration fee which would be $160 also as it's in Perth (Hopefully). So in total the fee would be $540 dollars to become APHRA registered. From this she could look for sponsorship and basically start working from the off?

Oh and Mad Cow if you have a list of all the hospitals/practices in Perth area that would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks again.

Edited by kylel39

We are new in Perth,both nurses (ICU & Mental Health).We're both working for an agency which gets cancelled most of the time. Just joined nursewest which makes a lot of difference.To all nurses wanting to come here in Perth,please make sure that you got jobs lined up because theres not many permanent jobs advertised. I made a few enquiries about these recruitment pool with closing dates like end of the year but the position doesn't actually exist,its false advertising. Fiona Stanley might save it but that will be next year and some services from freo & royal perth will move there. There are lots of hospitals being built and expansions everywhere so hopefully we will get busy.Be prepared too to Wait Awhile because thats what WA stands for!!!

Hi Bella,

The pool isn't false advertising because it is advertised as a pool and whilst vacancies may not exist, if successful to the 'pool' then when there are vacancies or fixed term contracts they are offered to those who are sitting in the pool. The difficulty lies in that working in a pool/bank in the UK is different to a pool here.

My suggestion if a pool position is advertised is to send an email to the person on the advert who can tell you if there are any vacancies or contracts coming up.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest katielou1984

Hello everyone!

I am trying to fill out the APHRA application form as we speak and unsurprisingly, I have a few questions of anyone can help please?!

Question 11 - regarding qualifications...do I need to fill out all A-levels and GCSE's etc as well as my nursing degree?

Question 12 - what will my category of registration be? I am on the NMC register but I do not know what to fill in here.

Question 26 - Do I fill in here my degree and my a-levels/GCSE's too? The wording seems really confusing and I don not want to do it wrong! It states in the grey box that I need the transcripts for these...I know that I definitely need the transcript of my nursing course but do I really need the same for GSCE's and A-levels?

Question 28...I just don't understand! Does this relate to me getting a letter from my secondary school to say I have been taught in english or is the CPD section where I send them all the bits I have done through the past year to keep current?

Payment...do I pay both the assessment fee and the application fee or just the assessment fee initially?

I apologise for all of the questions...it all seems very confusing! I would appreciate any help that people can offer.

Katie ssign16.gif

Hi all. I am an endoscopy nurse and have started the visa process (190) . I am just about to submit my docs to ANMAC to have my skills assessed. I don't see many endoscopy nurse posts advertised in WA or Perth. I have seen them advertised in other states but are based in theatre. I have no theatre experience as I work in a stand alone endoscopy unit. I am willing to try other areas to work but I do love endoscopy and have a lot of skills to offer in that area. I have also got to re-sit the AWFUL IELTS test again lol. I got good results on my academic test with enough for skills assessment but I only achieved 7.5 in reading. I need 8's across the board. its an age thing but let's not open that can of worms :-)

Debs

Hi, Im a Registered Dental nurse in the Uk with a NVQ in Dental Nursing. Would anyone know if it is the same rules in WA as it is in the Uk. In the UK all Dental Nurses have to be registered with these qualifications to be able to work. Will my qualifications allow me to work. If anyone knows that would be great xxxx

Guest Emloudubbs

Hi nurses I work as a hca or NA for my local nhs hos...coming over to perth soon with my husband and children based on his skills as a carpenter permenant rresidencey do you think I could get a job in a hospital in perth as an auxiallry or AIN ? Any info or advice helpful ...I'm 30 only a years experience and want to train

Hi everyone.

I have applied for so many nursing jobs now and not heard anything back. We are moving across to WA early May this year. I am becoming concerned as I really wanted to secure a position before arriving. I have been qualified for nearly 4 years so have the experience needed. Has anyone got any ideas as to how I can get employment please? :confused:

Hi everyone.

I have applied for so many nursing jobs now and not heard anything back. We are moving across to WA early May this year. I am becoming concerned as I really wanted to secure a position before arriving. I have been qualified for nearly 4 years so have the experience needed. Has anyone got any ideas as to how I can get employment please? :confused:

I think you have more chance when you are on oz soil tbh. Our hospital has expanded recently and will prob need more staff in the future months. Once you're here then contact the hospitals via telephone and you might get a more positive response, good luck!

Hi nurses I work as a hca or NA for my local nhs hos...coming over to perth soon with my husband and children based on his skills as a carpenter permenant rresidencey do you think I could get a job in a hospital in perth as an auxiallry or AIN ? Any info or advice helpful ...I'm 30 only a years experience and want to train

You would prob be looking at a PCA role. These are personal care assistants who help with the very basic cares such as showering etc. There are AINS here but their tasks are basic and nothing like the uk. I'm not sure of the qualifications required for these roles?

Hello everyone!

I am trying to fill out the APHRA application form as we speak and unsurprisingly, I have a few questions of anyone can help please?!

Question 11 - regarding qualifications...do I need to fill out all A-levels and GCSE's etc as well as my nursing degree?

Question 12 - what will my category of registration be? I am on the NMC register but I do not know what to fill in here.

Question 26 - Do I fill in here my degree and my a-levels/GCSE's too? The wording seems really confusing and I don not want to do it wrong! It states in the grey box that I need the transcripts for these...I know that I definitely need the transcript of my nursing course but do I really need the same for GSCE's and A-levels?

Question 28...I just don't understand! Does this relate to me getting a letter from my secondary school to say I have been taught in english or is the CPD section where I send them all the bits I have done through the past year to keep current?

Payment...do I pay both the assessment fee and the application fee or just the assessment fee initially?

I apologise for all of the questions...it all seems very confusing! I would appreciate any help that people can offer.

Katie ssign16.gif

Yes, I needed a letter from my high school saying my schooling was in English.

I completed a self declaration letter just outlining all my schooling from secondary school to uni and it was over so many years (5 i think) of being taught in english. I didnt provide a letter from my secondary school just all my certificates as well. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks ago I got an email from ANMAC to say that they had received my application and then on 3rd April they sent an email to say that they had not received verification letter from NMC for which i paid £34 which they wont have by then as it would have been on way. Also (god i cant believe i missed this as i thought i read site thoroughly) for my transcript i just sent the standard transcript that the uni gave me which said total hours and anmac emailed to say they require a breakdown of theoretical and practical hours. I have now sorted this and had to pay £75 for a more detailed transcript and they are going to send this. ANMAC say they are not ready to undertake my application yet and that they have just conducted an initial review and placed me in a queue so i had to sort the above stuff out while i am in the queue. So far so good. Anyway just posting that just in case others are wondering about transcript. I have now collated all my documents for visa 189 if receive an invite after i have filled an eoi - As i am ready do you think i could go to solicitors now to certify or should i wait till get an invite? i am not sure if the date is to be within a certain amount of months/weeks. does anyone know?

My documents are on the way to ANMAC. We're sent yesterday woo hoo. I just put in a copy of the original transcript that I received when I graduated. It doesn't mention hours or theory time but was broken down into modules. I threw in the transcripts for a couple of extra modules that I have done since lol. I did contact my uni about this and they said they will send info out for £20.

I have also contacted ANMAC about sending certified docs onto APHRA and they responded saying

When your assessment is finalised then send me a message advising which STATE for AHPRA and then your whole file can go for their assessment.

that'll save getting docs certified again.

Debs

Hi all this is my fist time to post but if I'm honest I been obsessed reading these threads for last couple of years lol. Well I've been desperate to emigrate to Oz for 6 years now but due to having babies ect I have only managed to start the process and start my child health nursing degree last September which I'm loving. So now I am finally on the road to potentially moving I have stepped up the gear on my obsession! I have 2 years left but we have already been asked to start thinking of elective placement. I am very keen if I can fund it to do my 4 weeks elective in Perth. I have 3 young children and a husband who works away so it may not work out but I think ill look into it. The hospitals I am interested in is Joondalup or Mandurah, the new children's hospital will be opening the year I qualify though I expect it will be too new to sort out an elective. If anyone can suggest another which have paediatric please suggest?

Sooo my first question is has any of you worked and had a UK student over for an elective? If so do i approach the hospital or the local university?

Second question is.... i am seriously considering applying for graduate training though i am yet to contact hospitals about this as i am unsure if i can do this as a childrens nurse, could any of you answer this?

Third question (sorry) if i do go for graduate or lucky enough to get sponsorship would i be able to apply for the WA 190 after a year experience in OZ? I know the pitfalls of the 457 but think i can work with this for a year financially and with full time hours if i could apply for the SS after 12 months, if not then i think i may be better off holding back in the UK for another 2 years once qualified though the thought is depressing?

I would really appreciate your thoughts please on this? if i am eligible for graduate training then i think i would really push for elective, if not then ill probably just have a family holiday once qualified.

Nice to meet you all :)

Chantelle

Edited by chan8180

Hi all this is my fist time to post but if I'm honest I been obsessed reading these threads for last couple of years lol. Well I've been desperate to emigrate to Oz for 6 years now but due to having babies ect I have only managed to start the process and start my child health nursing degree last September which I'm loving. So now I am finally on the road to potentially moving I have stepped up the gear on my obsession! I have 2 years left but we have already been asked to start thinking of elective placement. I am very keen if I can fund it to do my 4 weeks elective in Perth. I have 3 young children and a husband who works away so it may not work out but I think ill look into it. The hospitals I am interested in is Joondalup or Mandurah, the new children's hospital will be opening the year I qualify though I expect it will be too new to sort out an elective. If anyone can suggest another which have paediatric please suggest?

Sooo my first question is has any of you worked and had a UK student over for an elective? If so do i approach the hospital or the local university?

Second question is.... i am seriously considering applying for graduate training though i am yet to contact hospitals about this as i am unsure if i can do this as a childrens nurse, could any of you answer this?

Third question (sorry) if i do go for graduate or lucky enough to get sponsorship would i be able to apply for the WA 190 after a year experience in OZ? I know the pitfalls of the 457 but think i can work with this for a year financially and with full time hours if i could apply for the SS after 12 months, if not then i think i may be better off holding back in the UK for another 2 years once qualified though the thought is depressing?

I would really appreciate your thoughts please on this? if i am eligible for graduate training then i think i would really push for elective, if not then ill probably just have a family holiday once qualified.

Nice to meet you all :)

Chantelle

anyone, any advice would be appreciated???