REAL Cost of living in and around Perth WA

Philly

Hi all,

I keep hearing mixed opinions from others saying that the cost of living is reaaly expensive, and you could'nt survive on a salary less than 100k.

I will be moving to Perth WA with my wife and our two children (11&7), I will be the only one working and will be bringing in a salary of 65k. We are going on a 189 visa which is a permenant visa, this allows us to claim family benifits through centrelink, according to their website we should be allowed around $470 every two weeks.

We are looking around the Kinross area, we expect to pay rent arount $500 a week.

From these figures Ithink we should beable to live a decent life, I am fully aware everyones situation is different, we are not expecting to live like millionaires, we just want to pay the bills, beable to save for holidays and christmas and get through each month without worrying.

Does this seem ok?

Anyone else in a similar situation in Perth?

Any correspondance would be appreciated.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I keep hearing mixed opinions from others saying that the cost of living is reaaly expensive, and you could'nt survive on a salary less than 100k.

I will be moving to Perth WA with my wife and our two children (11&7), I will be the only one working and will be bringing in a salary of 65k. We are going on a 189 visa which is a permenant visa, this allows us to claim family benifits through centrelink, according to their website we should be allowed around $470 every two weeks.

Any correspondance would be appreciated.

There has been a very recent thread discussing more or less the same thing. Read through this and see what you think. It is a family who was working on a $80k per annum income. Like them you do not say how much cash you will be bringing to cover your initial start up / arrival costs and over here that is currently, due to the economy, a key part of any migration plan I fear.

http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/money-finance/10546-80k-year-enough.html

Also another Cost of Living one that will give you some more food for thought.

http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/money-finance/8247-cost-living.html

Just try and factor in start up costs, e.g. where are you staying before you get the rental and for how long?, a bond for your rental (lump sum landlords / agent gets as a kind of safety net, transport, school stuff for the kids, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc with the advice being try and keep your debt low to zero. If you struggle to do that then think, and based on comments on the $80k thread, that on $65k you will need to live a very frugile lifestyle.

Good Luck

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Guest pommybob

Excellent advice from Straight to the Point.

$65K salary will give you a take home salary after taxes of $48,750.

Weekly rent of $500 is $26,000 per annum.

This will give you $22,750 per annum to live off (don't rely on any benefits from the government as they will probably change after the election in September)

Therefore, if you think you can live off a disposal income of $437.50 per week in Perth for a family of 4, you really need to do some more homework, or try and negotiate a better salary before you come over.

Good luck!

Hi just got back from hols hope to be out permanantly later in year was over last October and it seemed more expensive then the things I find expensive are things like eating out chinese is not expensive though pubs are dear looking on average at between 8 and 10 doolers and pub food is dear to but if you go to the bottle shops you can get a 24 carton of corona or sol for 50 dollors or even cheaper if its on offer so for alittle over 2 dollers each about £ 1.60 not a bad buy the other the other things that are expensive are some days out getting to Rottnest Island I thought was really dear $74 each return then you have to get around the Island we got the bus $14 each so pretty expensive to sit on the beach for 3 hours but thats only a few things in a place were thers lots to do the transport system I though was good $11 day ticket and you can go virtually anyware in Perth or even down to Mandura

Some things are more expensive and some are cheaper it depends on what life style you want to have

Hope this helps

Gary

Hi just got back from hols hope to be out permanantly later in year was over last October and it seemed more expensive then the things I find expensive are things like eating out chinese is not expensive though pubs are dear looking on average at between 8 and 10 doolers and pub food is dear to but if you go to the bottle shops you can get a 24 carton of corona or sol for 50 dollors or even cheaper if its on offer so for alittle over 2 dollers each about £ 1.60 not a bad buy the other the other things that are expensive are some days out getting to Rottnest Island I thought was really dear $74 each return then you have to get around the Island we got the bus $14 each so pretty expensive to sit on the beach for 3 hours but thats only a few things in a place were thers lots to do the transport system I though was good $11 day ticket and you can go virtually anyware in Perth or even down to Mandura

Some things are more expensive and some are cheaper it depends on what life style you want to have

Hope this helps

Gary

The cost of living here though is VERY different than the cost of being here on holiday. For example, the OP wants a house for $500. Fine, but thats not going to be in a decent area close to the city, or even anywhere near. Probably looking at areas such as Mandurah - that means an hour commute each way. Also, yes i think public transport is very good value. But, $11 is not available for rush hour / early morning. So, he will be looking at about $20 day. Thats another $100 a week.

Gas and electricity are high and not helped by the houses being poorly insulated with little heating, so in winter you are running inefficient electric heaters that munch through the power - Perth can get to single figures degrees c on a night in winter.

If you like eating out, particularly the nicer places, you are going to spend a fortune. Have a look at places such as Rockpool and see how much you can pay for a steak - about $160, not including sides.

Petrol is cheaper, but because distances are bigger, i find i spend as much as i would have in the UK. Insurance is about the same.

Perth is listed as one of the most expensive places to live on the planet.

It's not cheap to live here but you can cut your cloth according to your needs. You can shop around for food, meat markets and fruit and veg markets are a good start. Eating out can be ok. Not all of us eat in expensive restaurants lol! We had a pub lunch yesterday and for the food it came to $36. Nice food and a good atmosphere, it depends what you like. Petrol is cheap and I personally, don't travel far to work so my fuel bill is about $40 a week and that includes my days off too. We bought a gas heater last winter cost us about $1,100 but it has been a godsend in the cold winter nights. Our gas bills are usually $40 every two months but the winter one last year was $100. Electric, we had solar panels fitted and they have reduced our bills by half. Yes, Perth is expensive, but it's do able as long as you do your research before you come. It also, depends very much on your income, obviously. Good luck.

Electric, we had solar panels fitted and they have reduced our bills by half.

Mad Cow do you mind me asking? What size of house do you have? What were your electric bills and what are they now? What size of solar system went in and how much? We have looked at these systems on and off for years now and just cannot seem to work out how we could get a return on investment. It would take us ages. May be it is because we have lower than normal electric bills being eco terrorists :wink:

It's not cheap to live here but you can cut your cloth according to your needs. You can shop around for food, meat markets and fruit and veg markets are a good start. Eating out can be ok. Not all of us eat in expensive restaurants lol! We had a pub lunch yesterday and for the food it came to $36. Nice food and a good atmosphere, it depends what you like. Petrol is cheap and I personally, don't travel far to work so my fuel bill is about $40 a week and that includes my days off too. We bought a gas heater last winter cost us about $1,100 but it has been a godsend in the cold winter nights. Our gas bills are usually $40 every two months but the winter one last year was $100. Electric, we had solar panels fitted and they have reduced our bills by half. Yes, Perth is expensive, but it's do able as long as you do your research before you come. It also, depends very much on your income, obviously. Good luck.

what gas heater cost $1100?is this what they cost is that one of them things you buy a bottle for?

Guest Embendubbs

Ok ur scaring me now hope we get the family benefits were basing our move to perth on my husband working as carpenter earning atleast 78 k per year... Worried now !

what gas heater cost $1100?is this what they cost is that one of them things you buy a bottle for?

Gas heaters can come with bottles but the one we bought for the roughly the same price as above is one that plugs into a gas bayonet socket in the wall. It means that gas has to be piped into the rooms of the house you need to use it in. Older style houses usually have them but you can ask for a fitting to be installed in a new build.

Sorry Goat just typed this without seeing your reply.

I feel like these threads keep cropping up because people don't like the answers on the other 'can I survive on this?' threads so they ask a new one in the hope that things have changed.

I asked my OH yesterday if we lived extravagently - because we are currently on one wage (not through choice) and have been for over 7 months now. We have much more than $65k a year coming through and we find it hard work to make the bank balance come the end of the month - and there are only two of us.

His answer was, he didn't think so.

So my 2 cents worth....

$65k (plus super I'm assuming) would equate to $4,280 per month

Renting a $500 per week house would be $2,166 per month

2 Mobile Phones PAYG = $60 p/m

Broadband = $50 p/m

Gas = $30 p/m

Electric = $150 p/m

Medical insurance = $200 p/m (basic cover for couple + 2 kids)

Fuel = $200 p/m

Food/Household items = $150 per week ($650 p/m)

This leaves $784 for non essentials - some of the above, such as broadband, medical insurance and mobile phones might be also classed as non-essential if you were really cutting costs, but I'd also add Foxtel ($100), Home Insurance ($100), Car Rego & Maintenance ($??) to that list above as well. And I've also been very conservative with the cost of things - they can cost a whole lot more depending on your usage.

That leaves $180 per week for saving for holidays, clothes, school fees & sundries - basically everything you can't plan for.

For me personally, that is not enough to live on. We try to have $500-$600 per week left over for things you can't plan for (having a life) and most weeks that's not enough.

Mad Cow do you mind me asking? What size of house do you have? What were your electric bills and what are they now? What size of solar system went in and how much? We have looked at these systems on and off for years now and just cannot seem to work out how we could get a return on investment. It would take us ages. May be it is because we have lower than normal electric bills being eco terrorists :wink:

Pours is an eight panel 2kw system and it cost about $4.0000. Our electric bills weren't huge tbh about $180. But a lot less now. We live in a 4x2 large house. It was an investment but then we decided to sell so no benefit for us lol!

Guest guest9824
I feel like these threads keep cropping up because people don't like the answers on the other 'can I survive on this?' threads so they ask a new one in the hope that things have changed.

I asked my OH yesterday if we lived extravagently - because we are currently on one wage (not through choice) and have been for over 7 months now. We have much more than $65k a year coming through and we find it hard work to make the bank balance come the end of the month - and there are only two of us.

His answer was, he didn't think so.

So my 2 cents worth....

$65k (plus super I'm assuming) would equate to $4,280 per month

Renting a $500 per week house would be $2,166 per month

2 Mobile Phones PAYG = $60 p/m

Broadband = $50 p/m

Gas = $30 p/m

Electric = $150 p/m

Medical insurance = $200 p/m (basic cover for couple + 2 kids)

Fuel = $200 p/m

Food/Household items = $150 per week ($650 p/m)

This leaves $784 for non essentials - some of the above, such as broadband, medical insurance and mobile phones might be also classed as non-essential if you were really cutting costs, but I'd also add Foxtel ($100), Home Insurance ($100), Car Rego & Maintenance ($??) to that list above as well. And I've also been very conservative with the cost of things - they can cost a whole lot more depending on your usage.

That leaves $180 per week for saving for holidays, clothes, school fees & sundries - basically everything you can't plan for.

For me personally, that is not enough to live on. We try to have $500-$600 per week left over for things you can't plan for (having a life) and most weeks that's not enough.

I would have to agree with you Nicolac. We have one salary, a very good one, and I said exactly the same thing to my husband, are we being far too lavish in our lifestyle, and he said 'not really' and we dont have much left to save etc. We brought equity over with us too, and have no credit card bills or car debts, our mortgage is average for Perth. I really do worry that 65k seems so little. My sister came over 30 years ago and survived on next to nothing with just a mattress to sleep all four of them on, and no furniture, she did and survived and loves being an aussie, but Im not sure I could have done that. I guess it depends on what you have left behind, what seems worth giving up to potentially not have here. I wish you well and hope you do survive.

peax

Pours is an eight panel 2kw system and it cost about $4.0000. Our electric bills weren't huge tbh about $180. But a lot less now. We live in a 4x2 large house. It was an investment but then we decided to sell so no benefit for us lol!

yeah even though we have a pool ours average out to about $100 per month which is low. On the basis that conserving energy continues to save you cash, albeit power bills go up, shelling out for a system like yours would take up to 6/7 yeasr to make it worthwhile. Then of course like you we would sell in the middle of that and the benefit is lost!!

May be we need a solar panel thread to get all the views?

We have one salary, a very good one, and I said exactly the same thing to my husband, are we being far too lavish in our lifestyle, and he said 'not really' and we dont have much left to save etc. We brought equity over with us too, and have no credit card bills or car debts, our mortgage is average for Perth. /QUOTE]

Peanuts you highlight another great point. Coming over here now, and getting a low wage or a wage that has you "surviving", means folk save little or nothing. If in turn you are in your own home with a mortgage that was bought within the last 5/6 years say, and little or no savings or other investments, then that it means all the equity is in bricks and mortar. A huge risk in Perth's boom and bust economy. The economy is cooling here and, although not a big dip yet, it may come if there is a drop in demand for resources. Historically that is how it worked over the decades and although we are enjoying a period of growth it will fall at one point.

After what has happend in the UK and Ireland then coming here unprepared, or coming here and taking on too much too soon or at the wrong time, may be just jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Another risk to consider for all the ones preparing for the move. Do not want to lessen people's enthusiasm but the more you can think about the move, plan for the move and budget for the move the better. Not saying do not do it but probably just be really careful and do the research thoroughly.

Guest guest9824
yeah even though we have a pool ours average out to about $100 per month which is low. On the basis that conserving energy continues to save you cash, albeit power bills go up, shelling out for a system like yours would take up to 6/7 yeasr to make it worthwhile. Then of course like you we would sell in the middle of that and the benefit is lost!!

May be we need a solar panel thread to get all the views?

STTP, you're not that scottish guy on the Thrifty advert, who goes round turning all the lights off in the house are you?????hmmmmmmm:biggrin:

Oh my sides...... Nearly burst them laughing at that one :wink: Ho Ho Ho..... You see my sons haircut!!

Hi Poms in Perth

Probably shooting myself in the foot here as a Migration Agent!! However, Perth has now become so expensive that I believe that the most successful people to settle are the ones who come with very little or the ones who come with mega dollars. Basically, if you are coming with little and leaving behind few possessions, I belive you will have the best chance of settling now. With the exchange rate of only $1.45 to the GBP, your money will not go very far. If you come with nothing you have nothing to lose! The people in the worst scenario I believe are those bringing over 300-400K sterling as they will not be able to buy the sort of property they are leaving in the UK. (obviously depending where you are living and where you want to buy!)

People talk about moving here for "the lifestyle". In my experience as an agent, there are many people going back to UK as they didn't anticipate how much that lifestyle would cost them. I have just paid my electricity, $622 which averages $10.49 per day. Things are expensive here and a lot of the trades have quietened down. There are lots of skilled young Irish backpackers here who are prepared to work for more reasonable wages and are getting a lot of the jobs as painters, carpenters, drainers etc.

All potential migrants should do a reccie first and do their sums properly! It is an expensive mistake if you want to go back. you will probably lose at least $30K if you go home.

Guest guest9824
Hi Poms in Perth

Probably shooting myself in the foot here as a Migration Agent!! However, Perth has now become so expensive that I believe that the most successful people to settle are the ones who come with very little or the ones who come with mega dollars. Basically, if you are coming with little and leaving behind few possessions, I belive you will have the best chance of settling now. With the exchange rate of only $1.45 to the GBP, your money will not go very far. If you come with nothing you have nothing to lose! The people in the worst scenario I believe are those bringing over 300-400K sterling as they will not be able to buy the sort of property they are leaving in the UK. (obviously depending where you are living and where you want to buy!)

People talk about moving here for "the lifestyle". In my experience as an agent, there are many people going back to UK as they didn't anticipate how much that lifestyle would cost them. I have just paid my electricity, $622 which averages $10.49 per day. Things are expensive here and a lot of the trades have quietened down. There are lots of skilled young Irish backpackers here who are prepared to work for more reasonable wages and are getting a lot of the jobs as painters, carpenters, drainers etc.

All potential migrants should do a reccie first and do their sums properly! It is an expensive mistake if you want to go back. you will probably lose at least $30K if you go home.

Sounds like a few migration agents could be in trouble :wacko:going off recent threads, but not you NLDU:cute:nail and head spring to mind, and you have hit it! We come in that bracket of bringing cash with us, but we didntt mortgage right up, as we could have done, so luckily we are ok, but we aare looking to consolidate our mortgage and buy newer and smaller in the near future reducing our mortgage drastically so that the smaller it is the quicker we pay it off! Then we have more money to pay for.....uni fees, travel expenses for gap years, and the list goes on:wideeyed: always something lurking to spend your money on.

pea