Is $80k a year enough

Guest TheWillsys

Guest TheWillsys

Hi all,

We are looking to move to Perth in the next few months and have a job lined up paying around $80k a year. Is this enough to support a family of 2 adults and a baby under 1? We a looking at living SOR and like the look of Baldivis renting initially. We hope to run 2 cars and live to a nice standard and not scrimp and scrape!

any advice is greatly received!:wink:

Thanks in advance!

Impossible to answer as no idea what your style of living is over there or would be over here. It maybe better if you were to read over all the "cost of living" posts that are on this site. Just search under the various topics, you will find them. Then work out what weekly or monthly outgoings you will have based on what you think you "want" and then see how much disposable income you have left at the end of each pay period.

Once you see what is left, if anything, you will at least get an idea on budgets. The problem is that not everyone coming out here cares about what is left because it is more about the lifestyle. Potentially little, or no, spare cash but happy and in a tremendous climate versus what you have currently in the UK. Only you can answer that. $80k you will survive.

Since when did $80k convert to only 32k UK ?? How did you work that one out??

I do not think you interpreted Very Stormy's post correctly :wink: Storms did not say $80k converts to 32k gbp's what they said was "it is similar to earning about £32k in the UK". The rule of thumb that seems to be used on these posts is that whatever you earn in the UK you should multiply that by 2.5 to see what the equivalent is you need here in terms of matching your current standard of living.

Absolute bull----

From where did you pull the x 2.5 factor??

I would much rather live in Perth on 80k than live in the UK on 32k & yes I have done both,

Kevlis is the written word you have problems with or just the interpretation of them? :biggrin: (Smiley = lighten up mate).

You completely mis-read Very Stormy's post and now you rubbish something that I commented on. The 2.5 multiplier is historic information used on this forum. What I wrote was not necessarlity my own view so please do not shoot the messanger. It is, as Levi also says, something that is commonly talked about and used as a calculation on this website in previous posts on other threads. I did not pull it from anywhere so If you do not agree and think it is, "absolute bull" then to add some value to the thread just put forward some facts and figures to highlight your arguement. Finance I am sure is all about each individuals own personal situation and nobody will be the same. The 2.5 multiplier is simply being used by many PerthPoms as a yard stick.

Edited by StraighttothePoint

The 2.5 conversion has been used as long as I've been on the forum. It's hard to answer the question as we don't know how much rent you'll be paying, what cars you'll be driving, how far the commute will be (and therefore petrol in the tanks), do you like eating out a lot? That's an expensive pass time. Here in Perth we pay more for concert tickets than in other states (due to the distance of having to bring the shows/equipment here). Are you a bit of an economy shopper or do you go for best brands? It all adds to how much spare cash you'll have at the end of the month.

The 2.5 multiplier isn't just a figure plucked out the sky. It's based upon the cost of living in Perth compared to the UK. An attempt to factor in the increased costs of living including rent, shopping, clothes, going out etc. It's a rough marker and as ali and StraighttothePoint pointed out at the end of the day it's down to the individual and their own individual needs and requirements.

So if you're expecting to receive a salary of $80k then in the UK based on the increased cost of living/exchange rate in Australia this would be equivalent to earning and living on a a salary of approximate £32K.

Edited by ali

I jusy feel for the OP (TheWillsys) as they have posted just 4 times on PP and the response that they have received so far on this thread will probably put them off for life!! Lol

I am not yet resident in Perth but have visited on previous occasions and have a number of friends who are and who have been so for 25 years+. In my opinion it would be reasonable to suggest that a 2.5 multiplyer is about right given the current cost of living in WA and the historical exchange rates in years gone by. It would be very easy to work on the current exchange rate of $1.48 and assume that $80,000 pa is equivelant to £54,000 pa but in doing so the cost of living would be unachievable for most people on this forum. A prime example of this anomaly is evident in the BBC show 'Wanted Down Under' where the family concerned are told that they could earn as much as $xxxxx which is far more than they currently earn in the UK. The figure of course was calculated using the exchange rate available at the time the show was recorded and we all know what has happened with the $AUD / £GBP in the last few years.

Eventually and with favourable market conditions the rate COULD rebalance by hauling itself back once more to within the $2.20 - $2.50 parameters which would in turn enable all prospective migrants to budget more easily. Until then however don't be fooled by the low rates available at the moment which is making a great job of masking the true cost of living by providing an unrealistic wage comparison with the UK.

Average salary in WA is about 80k AUD. Average in UK is what? 28k GBP?

$80k will give you about $60k after tax. So $5k a month. So work out your costs.

Rent $500 a week ($2000 a month)

House Bills $100 a month

Fox / internet $200 a month

Mobiles $100 a month

Car repayments $200 a week ($800 a month)

Insurance (health, car, house) $400 a month

You can soon see where the money goes. Especially if you buy instead of renting as you can add another $2000 annually at least.

I worked out my outgoings, and before food/entertainment it was close to $60k a year.

Edit to add :-

UK average 26,500

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20442666

WA average 1590.60 (weekly) = 82,711 (there is a bigger number, but i think this includes overtime)

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/6302.0main+features7Nov%202012

Edited by Bibbs

I think 2:2 is more like it, we used that for comparing when we first moved here and it worked well. Not splitting hairs or anything.

It varies a bit from person to person dpending on lifestyle, but 2.5 seems to be the concensus. Personally, for us, because we like to eat out a fair bit, we find it closer to x3 at least. I work with a few young single graduates who spend a lot on nights out in bars and would say its more like x5.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

I posted a cost of living thread last year look at my profile and you'll find it in my posts had it on here and POI got some interesting replies including someone to do the cleaning and ironing as essential it really does depend on your family so do a mock shop on coles most people say $300 have a good look on realestate.com at houses and rents, centrelink site to figure out family tax benefit if on PR visa and you'll find sites which will give you after tax pay. Sort out what you need phone broadband electricity etc you'll find sites for everything you need I cant remember off hand which ones I used sorry.

These sites are great, poeople are always willing to give advice and opinion - it might not always be what we want to hear but we ask for opinion and everyone's entitled to theirs - even the spanners! :D

Guest TheWillsys
Hiya

I posted a cost of living thread last year look at my profile and you'll find it in my posts had it on here and POI got some interesting replies including someone to do the cleaning and ironing as essential it really does depend on your family so do a mock shop on coles most people say $300 have a good look on realestate.com at houses and rents, centrelink site to figure out family tax benefit if on PR visa and you'll find sites which will give you after tax pay. Sort out what you need phone broadband electricity etc you'll find sites for everything you need I cant remember off hand which ones I used sorry.

These sites are great, poeople are always willing to give advice and opinion - it might not always be what we want to hear but we ask for opinion and everyone's entitled to theirs - even the spanners! :D

Thanks for your reply! We were getting a little worried there for a minute with some if the replies we'd had!

Thanks for your reply! We were getting a little worried there for a minute with some if the replies we'd had!

Can understand that! Caz Brady had some brilliant suggestions.... so look at the websites, do a comparison on food shopping and all the other necessary expenses, and you will have a fair idea of how it will be for you. $80Kpa sounds good on paper, but WA is an expensive place to live and you have to factor your personal lifestyle into the equation too. Whether you rent or buy in WA you are going to be hit hard in the pocket as property is stupidly priced. Hope it works for you.

Guest pommybob

$80K minus taxes equates to a take home salary of $60K p.a.

My advice is look at ALL the possible costs involved when you arrive.

The biggest factor in Perth at the moment is lack of housing and VERY expensive rent. If you are planning to rent, this could take upto half of your take home salary as rental costs are very high in comparison to your projected take-home salary.

My advice is that $60K p.a will not offer you a comfortable lifestyle and be prepared for high outgoings.

On re-reading these posts it all makes, and sounds, sensible what is being said however one thing that is missing, as it is on many other similar threads, the original posters do not say how much ready cash they are bringing with them.

Yes it is reasonable to assume that a salary of $80k per annum, based on this family make up, would be tight but not if the hidden factor of "what cash is available" is taken into account. It can be a big benefit now for a lot of migrants in this process these days. I have commented before that not everyone is struggling and that there are some well off folk hitting these shores.

So in summary I guess if folk are coming over with no, or very limited, cash and are going to be on what is considered a low salary then they will most likely struggle and in those instances surely you have to ask yourself is it really a sensible, worthwhile move at this time. Not better to wait until the economics are more in your favour? On the other hand if cash is involved that can be used against a number of the set up costs then even a low starting salary can be enough to make it achievable.

As it is said time and time again on these threads everyone is different. Appreciate that this may not help The Willsys, don't know though, but as a general point feel it should be raised for others who are reading this thread because, although it is an obvious factor, it is something that people may need to take into account more and more in relation to getting started. Use cash up front to keep the debt down could mean the difference between success and failure.

Gone are the days of rocking up with next to nothing and simply getting on with it. Bit more complicated now I reckon given the state of the economy over here.

• 3 weeks later...

HI BIBS,thats really helpful to actualy see what would be considered the norm for bills looking at other threads you really have to start thinking in aus$ to get a proper prospective of things,the wage figures sound high loooking at them compared to the uk but there not when working out the cost of living as for the 2.5 theory only you guys know that one.As for the uk conversion like over there it depends where you live ie uk £26000 in london would not get you a right lot how ever up north it would go alot further -so in that the closer to perth you are the more expensive thing are it stands to reason.It is as most of you guys say a life style choice rather than a financial choice it is a fine balance either way.:jiggy: