Planning the move and many questions - Help!

Akasully2

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly to the guys.....

I'm a massive real ale fan. How will I do when we get there? Or will I have to revert to fizzy lager?

Cheers

Kev

I think Mrs p would be offended!

I liked a real ale back in the UK and hate fizzy lager and I'm happy to report that the beer here is awesome. There are loads of micro and small scale breweries offering fantastic products. I've converted to IPA now and appreciate the fizz, especially in summer. Our local bottle shop, The Freo Doctor is one of the best stocked places around and has some fantastic guest ales and beers.

Don't worry, I don't think you'll really have anything to worry about.

Think this is going to be the first time I really disagree with porty. But no. The beer here is a major disappointment. At best, you will find something at one of the micro breweries that is "ok". After 6 years there are a couple I find tolerable. But not one I wouldn't be having a word with the landlord with if it was pulled in the uk. Probably the biggest thing I miss.

I was a camra member in the UK and only went to pubs that did good ales. But, that meant half a dozen in 15 mins walk and all would have at least a couple of great beers. Here. Expect a drive for something very mediocre at best. The beer festival which had over 200 beers this year had maybe 3 that I thought would not be poured down the drain even in a student pub in the uk.

Guest Guest6235

Glad I'm not a big drinker, left those days behind me long ago, although I do like a nice bitter now and then. At least with crap beer you'll save a bit of money.

Oops, ain't started a mod argument have I? :cute:

Beer is a very subjective thing. Hopefully I'll find something I like.

I'm lucky that I'm a bit of an experimenter, including brewing my own, I have researched home-brew shops in Perth, and there is a couple, so may have to get some more kit after the big move :cool:

We went to the Swan Valley today and really enjoyed it. Headed for Guildford tourist information first to get our bearings. Was met by this amazingly camp guy with grey hair, he was wonderful, who gave us some key areas to visit. The circuit consisted of a visit to a chocolate factory where they have bowls of it for you freely sample, lunch at a vineyard overlooking the vines and another vineyard that looked very hill billy and rough. We were doubtful whether to even stop but as it was recommended by the gay guy, we went in. It was lovely. They had a bar and a menu that explained what they had. We tasted the reds and the port, eventually buying some. It felt weird and cheeky tasting their things for free but we bought from them in the end, so obviously worked. The Feral Beer place was recommended but left that for another day. Will definitely go back!

• 1 month later...

New question...

Part of the condition of the visa grant was that we had to notify them where we live so they can monitor us for two years. Who am I meant to notify? I have looked on my visa grant notice but can't see it. Can anyone shed any light on this please? Cheers.

Hi Sully,

Just email these guys migration@dtwd.wa.gov.au

I sent them a copy of my visa letter and scan of the photo page of my passport. I also sent my a copy of my drivers licence and a utility bill to show our address. If you have a rental agreement you could send that to.

A couple of days leter youget an email to say thanks - you're on record.

It's that easy!

**All advise was previously given by SJT I believe!!**

I wish I'd known that! We trekked into perth CBD to the office in the forest place shopping centre, only to be told they aren't open at certain times on various days including that day. Luckily a worker agreed to come out of the back office after some declarations of dissatisfaction from myself to photocopy my passport & rental agreement while I wrote my address down. I got the impression I wouldn't have mattered if we'd never bothered!

I wish I'd known that! We trekked into perth CBD to the office in the forest place shopping centre, only to be told they aren't open at certain times on various days including that day. Luckily a worker agreed to come out of the back office after some declarations of dissatisfaction from myself to photocopy my passport & rental agreement while I wrote my address down. I got the impression I wouldn't have mattered if we'd never bothered!

Dept of Immigration moved to West Perth about 4 years ago and have not had an office presence in the city since then... guessing you made that visit years ago.

Hi Sully,

Just email these guys migration@dtwd.wa.gov.au

I sent them a copy of my visa letter and scan of the photo page of my passport. I also sent my a copy of my drivers licence and a utility bill to show our address. If you have a rental agreement you could send that to.

A couple of days leter youget an email to say thanks - you're on record.

It's that easy!

**All advise was previously given by SJT I believe!!**

Thanks very much for the link. I just emailed them to ask what I needed to send them and they politely replied within 24 hours. They sent me a very simple online form that I need to fill in and send back. No evidence required! No scanning, no witnessing, no hassle! Just visa number, occupation, name and address. Easy.

The only people we told in that sense Louisef was the Tax office. There's a form (P85) that you can fill out once you're here to claim back any tax you may have overpaid as you may only be a resident for tax purposes for part of the year. OH got about 450 quid back.

They sent a letter to me asking for my P60, and more details. I think I "filed" it somewhere :wink:

The only people we told in that sense Louisef was the Tax office. There's a form (P85) that you can fill out once you're here to claim back any tax you may have overpaid as you may only be a resident for tax purposes for part of the year. OH got about 450 quid back.

They sent a letter to me asking for my P60, and more details. I think I "filed" it somewhere :wink:

I posted my P85 back to Blighty today. It kept asking how many days I intended to be there over the next 12 months or following 3 years. It felt odd to write, '0' for everything. Certainly cutting our ties as far as the tax man is concerned.

• 7 months later...