Kids in oz

nicnacs

Hi, I'm keen to move to Perth and my husband has a potential job offer. My reason I want to go is a change of lifestyle I hate Scottish winters and the fact that my kids are indoors for 6 months playing xbox all the time really gets to me!! I know it gets dark early in Perth and I was wondering what kids do at night? My 2 are 6 & 7 and in the summer here they go out and play on our street with other kids, my husband seems to think that kids don't really go out and play on the street in Oz?? I don't want to get over there to find that they're just as much on their xbox as they are here.

Thanks x

Edited by nicnacs
delet

MY daughter is coming out with her 4 kids, I do think kids will spend more times out side.You will probley take them out more for picnics and bq to the beach or local park.We out today saw dolphines and thought the kids will love this.

Deb

Hi, I'm keen to move to Perth and my husband has a potential job offer. My reason I want to go is a change of lifestyle I hate Scottish winters and the fact that my kids are indoors for 6 months playing xbox all the time really gets to me!! I know it gets dark early in Perth and I was wondering what kids do at night? My 2 are 6 & 7 and in the summer here they go out and play on our street with other kids, my husband seems to think that kids don't really go out and play on the street in Oz?? I don't want to get over there to find that they're just as much on their xbox as they are here.

Thanks x

It depends where you live. We have very few kids playing out on our street particularly of that age. To be honest at 6 and 7 I wouldn't allow mine out in the street without adult supervision even in the UK. Mine had lots of playdates, friends came to ours or mine went to their friends. Many of my kids friends had extra stuff after school, dancing, sports etc and we didn't have much time for playing out during the week.

if you're not a hands-on parent now and allow your 6 and 7 year old to play Xbox all the time then I doubt things will change in another country. Kids generally don't play out on the street here. Most have after school activities at least once or twice a week. Most Aussie kids do swimming lessons and then may be a sport which means training during the week and a match at the weekend. There are fantastic opportunities for this from a young age - soccer, footie, tee ball (mini baseball), basketball, hockey to name a few. Or it could be drama/music whatever. Otherwise parents tend to arrange going to a child's house for an after school play or take them to a play ground or park. In the summer many people have pools or are near the river or beach so go there.

nicnacs I feel your pain, and yes I am a hands on parent but also work full time, I think its the winters here are so long.. our kids play xbox, but are on limited time, we also have family movie nights, and yes in the summer ours are out (we all are). we are moving to give the kids more options and opportunities to play sports, be part of a team etc (one of the reasons not the main one) I have friends and family in Perth, and yes there kiddies still play xbox, however its used more as a downtime rather than an all time. One of my friends kids in particular like others have said are always out doing sports, and scouts, so downtime on the xbox is ok...

In my experience, if kids and the adults are indoors a lot, it wont change here.

I grew up playing out all year in the NE of England - would often come home blue. As a result i am outdoors a lot still

A lot of parents are also very nervous (rightly) of the sun. By mid day the beach where i live is almost deserted

6 and 7 is too young to be out on their own I would say, especially in a new country with new friends you know nothing about. Doing stuff more as a family is the norm here especially as you have a lack if ready babysitters certainly to begin with. The children go around each others houses here ( houses are much bigger with plenty of rooms ) Its far more early to bed early to rise too.

Firstly i am nicnacs husband and would like to thank you all for replying. I have been watching this post since nic put it on and i feel that it may have been worded incorrectly. By no means do our kids play the Xbox all day everyday. We stay at the bottom of quiet cul de sac with a large turning space at the bottom of the street. Our kids play with several other kids from our street. The whole street knows the kids may be playing here so there are no speeding cars. We also stay next to a school so if the kids are not in the street they are in the school grounds. When they are out our and every other parents front door is always open so we can hear them and we all check on them periodicly.

Our kids are very much sporty, both play football/soccer 3 times a week and both play for their school team. Both go to karate one green belt the other orange. We also regulary go on family cycle runs, me and the kids play golf. Both children attend swimming leasons and both can swim pretty good for 6 and 7 i'd say.

The point we were making as over the winter in the north east of Scotland the weather can be horrendous(especially this winter past) with wind speeds over 60mph. So the football, cycling and golf are generaly only done from April to September here in Scotland. The kids karate/indoor football and swimming only last for an hour at a time as i expect they do in Oz.

So what else do kids do in Oz after 16.30in winter and 18.30 in summer(am i right in saying thats when it gets dark?). Like nic says our kids play in the street or in the school grounds where we could see/hear them over the summer until its time for bed. I have a gut feeling that in Oz our kids would be stuck indoors. Over in Oz are there loads of clubs/teams/activities to join that would be playing football on flod light pitches, karate clubs in halls at night, what about swimming are most pools outdoor in Oz or are there indoor ones that would be open at night?

My wife seems to think it is a better lifestyle over in Oz where the kids will be doing these activities all year round. I agree with her over the weekends but week day nights im not so sure. If we decide to move we would be staying in or close to Canning vale.

Thanks again.

Welcome to PP unsurescot.

We came over from London where I wouldn't let the kids play out on the street at any time of the year and it was one of the reasons we came. Mine are now 10 and 7 and I have no problem with my ten year old walking into town with his mates, cycling a few k's to their houses on his own or simply cruising around town knowing that at the weekend he's bound to bump into someone he knows. I did so when I was a kid and I think it's an important part of his development.

It's true it does get darker earlier here but don't worry, there's plenty for them to do. It's actually pretty exhausting, we spend weekend running them from club to club in the summer and there are infinitely more activities here than there were in London. In winter my kids are glad of the rest but remember it's not as long and cold as you're used to.

Sunset in winter is around 5.30 and 7.30 in summer. We've got used to it and so have the kids but there are always lots of things going on into the evening in Freo in the summer and we're always out as a family. We all also get up a lot earlier and at weekends we're often out of the house together by 7.30

They'll love it.

Firstly i am nicnacs husband and would like to thank you all for replying. I have been watching this post since nic put it on and i feel that it may have been worded incorrectly. By no means do our kids play the Xbox all day everyday. We stay at the bottom of quiet cul de sac with a large turning space at the bottom of the street. Our kids play with several other kids from our street. The whole street knows the kids may be playing here so there are no speeding cars. We also stay next to a school so if the kids are not in the street they are in the school grounds. When they are out our and every other parents front door is always open so we can hear them and we all check on them periodicly.

Our kids are very much sporty, both play football/soccer 3 times a week and both play for their school team. Both go to karate one green belt the other orange. We also regulary go on family cycle runs, me and the kids play golf. Both children attend swimming leasons and both can swim pretty good for 6 and 7 i'd say.

The point we were making as over the winter in the north east of Scotland the weather can be horrendous(especially this winter past) with wind speeds over 60mph. So the football, cycling and golf are generaly only done from April to September here in Scotland. The kids karate/indoor football and swimming only last for an hour at a time as i expect they do in Oz.

So what else do kids do in Oz after 16.30in winter and 18.30 in summer(am i right in saying thats when it gets dark?). Like nic says our kids play in the street or in the school grounds where we could see/hear them over the summer until its time for bed. I have a gut feeling that in Oz our kids would be stuck indoors. Over in Oz are there loads of clubs/teams/activities to join that would be playing football on flod light pitches, karate clubs in halls at night, what about swimming are most pools outdoor in Oz or are there indoor ones that would be open at night?

My wife seems to think it is a better lifestyle over in Oz where the kids will be doing these activities all year round. I agree with her over the weekends but week day nights im not so sure. If we decide to move we would be staying in or close to Canning vale.

Thanks again.

I have the same thoughts as you, our kiddies love sport (they are older than yours) however like you they can only do the stuff they love in the summer term (unless called of by rain). I agree with many comments that if your an indoor family here, you will be there, however I like the thought of new things to experience for the kids, different sports etc. Our kiddies play out and like you we live in a small street with a dead end and can see them all the time. But we would still rather it be the norm than the crazy run around when the sun decides to make an appearance. We like you love bike rides as a family, and its great to see comments that more families do more together in Australia. I had my childhood in Perth, and hated my parents so much for making me move to this cold wet country .....

Sport is seasonal like everywhere, so cricket, T. ball in summer, soccer in winter. My son has always played football so trains twice a week, with a game on Sunday, now he's older, he also plays indoor on Friday's. Playing out - tended to be at weekends when he was younger at mates houses, he plays his fair share of Fifa now after homework.

The lifestyle you choose will to be honest only be as good as you want or choose it to be.

I'm in Scotland and I have a Perth friend living nearby who has recently moved here. She commented how in Perth they would have kids over after school then the mums would stop by and stay for a drink etc...lots of family entertaining. Her comment was that houses here wouldn't be big enough (we live in a standard sized property in the city). For that reason we hardly ever have more than one other family over at a time cos you end up having to have all the kids playing inside which is a nightmare. And we have a huge deck that we've never bothered buying proper outdoor furniture for because there's hardly enough summer evenings to sit outside to justify the purchase. Also, when you live in Scotland and it's a sunny (or at least dry) weekend you feel you have to make the most of it and go climb a hill or something. In Perth there are so many days with lovely weather that you can waste a nice weekend sitting inside watching TV if you like. Overall though, I'd never move just for the weather...