any suggestion for living in Mandurah WA

Hello, this is first post from a newcomer (used as name at this Forum).

I am a newcomer, now staying in friend's study.

From property websites like Realestate.com.au, I found Mandurah WA provide low price properties at metro Perth, (although Mandurah is at the last train station.)

I would like to seek for your suggestions and advices for buying a property at Mandurah WA 6210.

thank you anticipation for your help.

Newcomer

Well, first welcome.

Mandurah is a lovely place to live. But it is a city in it's own right and has a lot of different suburbs which like any city, some are better than others.

Have you visited mandurah yet?

It is very much a water city with people living either around the peel or the ocean or on the canals and so water activities are a big part of life.

Now I am in Sydney, but there is a possibility to get a job there.

I need to be close to public transport (like Mandurah train station), and close to shopping facilities (like close to Mandurah Forum).

Why I "choose" Mandurah is that I don't have much money, and from websites I found Mandurah is beautiful at the first sight, although it is so-called "theoretically only". thank you for you help.

It is very beautiful and offers a great lifestyle. But, it depends on where you would be working. It is ok to the Perth CBD - 50 minutes on the train. But, it would be hard to some other parts of Perth. You would still need a car as mandurah is very spread out. It would take me over an hour to get to a shop without a car.

Another consideation is that parking at the Mandurah rail station is very much hit and miss, and mostly miss. There are never enough parking places and little seem possible to improve it, many complaints. Parking fines are regular as people arrive to park and have to "ditch" their car to get to work. A ticket awaits them on their return. If you can drive to work in Perth, and have somewhere to park it might be better. Apart from that Mandurah is a fine place to live. (In the right area).

From mandurah.wa.gov.au

the official website of that city, there is a mosquito problem there, I just like to know how serious it is to cause sickness of human beings?

and in what area the mosquito problem is happening.

besides, this area is close to Indian Ocean, is there strong wind, storm and other problem?

thx,anticipation.

Newcomer

Mossies are bad all around Mandurah thanks to the estuary especially in the warmer months, we lived in Lakelands for a year and it stopped us eating outside a lot.

Now in Baldivis and see none.

Just budget for repellent in your shopping and you'll be fine !

We have dramatic storms in the autumn winter all across the state but rarely severe enough to cause major damage fortunately.

Mozzies vary according to where you live. Ocean side is rarely bothered. We are ocean side of the old coast road / mandurah road and maybe have a few days per year that they are an issue. But that is because of the ocean wind coming in. Those away from the wind can have significant mozzie issues. But so can all of Perth. The worst I have suffered was in the CBD.

Mossies are bad all around Mandurah thanks to the estuary especially in the warmer months, we lived in Lakelands for a year and it stopped us eating outside a lot.

Now in Baldivis and see none.

Just budget for repellent in your shopping and you'll be fine !

We have dramatic storms in the autumn winter all across the state but rarely severe enough to cause major damage fortunately.

We got hardly any this year as it was so dry. I work in Baldivis and have always got bitten there but not this year so I reckon its luck of the draw weatherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
Another consideation is that parking at the Mandurah rail station is very much hit and miss, and mostly miss. There are never enough parking places and little seem possible to improve it, many complaints. Parking fines are regular as people arrive to park and have to "ditch" their car to get to work. A ticket awaits them on their return. If you can drive to work in Perth, and have somewhere to park it might be better. Apart from that Mandurah is a fine place to live. (In the right area).

hello Lancelot

in the last sentence in your post "in the right area".

what is the "right area" in Mandurah? and where I am interested in Mandurah is the area close to Mandurah train station and close to Mandurah Forum.

just be convenient for transport and shopping. Is it a "right area" in Mandurah that I am interested? thx.

There are several areas close to the train station and there is a new suburb being built there with affordable housing. There is also a land release coming up on the other side of the road from the station coming up - saw it this week when I drove past.

I wouldn't recommend the areas around the shopping centre.

You would need a car to go shopping if you live close to the station - walking back with shopping in 40c would not be fun.

Generally, the best suburbs are those closest to water.

There are several areas close to the train station and there is a new suburb being built there with affordable housing. There is also a land release coming up on the other side of the road from the station coming up - saw it this week when I drove past.

I wouldn't recommend the areas around the shopping centre.

You would need a car to go shopping if you live close to the station - walking back with shopping in 40c would not be fun.

Generally, the best suburbs are those closest to water.

cl0se to shopping is convenient for daily life, why "not recommended". Is there any issue on public security or other matter happening when living at

the area close to Mandurah Forum? And besides, is it convenient to call commercial taxi at Maqndurah train station at night? I decided to visit and stay at

Mandurah somedays, just to "feel" the actual daily life there next month,then make a decision.

'

'

The housing areas around both are older and there is more crime. Your visit is a good idea.

the houses are older is not an serious issue, but if the crime rate is high then is a big problem. How serious of crime it is around Mandurah Forum area?

and how convenient it is to call a taxi at Mandurah train station at late night? thx