Etihad flights?

cutchibear

Hi there, I fly out with Etihad on Sunday for short trip so will let you know when I return. Last flew out with Singapore airlines earlier this year and they were great with children.

There does seem to be quite a price difference between the 2 so I'll have a keen eye on service from them to make the right choice when we eventually make the big move..

Hi all!

We have been looking at flights and getting v tempted to book for June.

Etihad coming in cheapest at £1100 for two adults and an infant...anyone experienced flying with them with young children?

Thanks all

X

We are flying with Etihad with two young kids. Like you we found them way cheaper than anyone else. I've flown to Perth with Emirates a couple of times so hoping Etihad will be of similar quality. Emirates were a £1000 more though. Also flown to Oz with Singapore, Qantas, Air New Zealand and Olympic Air. Singapore or Emirates are my preferred choice. I'll let you know what they are like but you will have probably booked something by the time we go.

We flew out with them in November. I would not say they were bad, but we found them to not be as good as we hoped. We preferred Emirates for service. Etihad were cheaper.

On Emirates, we were being offered drinks all the time. On Etihad, we struggled to flag down the staff to get some water. The food was also an issue and they appeared to run out of the meals we wanted which left our kids not eating.

They have 'Nannies' which the website made a big deal of, but it was no different to any other flight, if not less so than we had on Emirates previously.

I wouldn't say I wouldn't fly with them again, but I would certainly pay a little extra to fly with Emirates. But that would only be a small amount.

I initially wanted to fly with Singapore but was not keen on the stop in Munich either one stop is enough. We have therefore booked to fly with Emirates on 22nd, we have flown with them before and never had any probs so it was a no brainer for us. I can't comment on Etihad as never flown with them but others have had good experiences.

Not flown with Etihad before but have flown Cathay Pacific (never again), Emirates x2(Excellent), Singapore Airlines (Excellent). The extra stop at Munich is not even an issue as it's so early in the flight, we just hopped off, stretched our legs and got a quick coffee. We had a two year old with us and it just wasn't an issue!

We loved Singapore airlines and they are amazing with the kids, take their names and remember them, also feed the kids first, ours slept through their meal but when they woke the lady brought them out a tray with sandwiches, crisps fruit and chocolate on it the girls loved it. We didn't get the extra stop. We loved Virgin but my wife fly to NY a week after coming back from Aus on Singapore and she said Virgin was poor in comparison.

i am a big lad 6ft 3 and found I still had legroom on Singapore as normally my legs a are wedged in.

We flew Singapore from Heathrow last week. Had a couple of glitches at check in- we had booked seats together and bassinet well in advance and had 3 emails confirming it then at check in were given seats in different rows, all sorted though. A380 is nice plane, plenty of room and quiet and a lot smoother flight. (I'm a nervous flier and I felt ok on it) 2nd leg from singapore to perth was prob only half full and staff were particularly excellent and like others mentioned good with babies.

Okay just over 4 hours left before I land in Perth and I have to say Etihad has been excellent. Probably agree with most views here though that Singapore is a better option for young kids as the crew seem less attentive on this front - perfect for me on my own not wanting to be bothered all the time....and just saying that just been offered a coffee and a chocolate whilst I 'work'...don't mind if I do!

Loved the flight from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi - virtually brand new A380. Also had nose and tail cam..perfect for geeks like me. Was a bit novel and weird watching takeoff this way!

Here's a shot from tail cam flying over the Dalmatian coastline of Croatia...became obsessed for 6 hours spotting landmarks and islands....

image.jpg

In summary if I was on my own or flying with adults/ older kids then I'd be happy with etihad on basis of price. Given I have young ones too, I will be choosing Singapore hopefully for our next 'one way' adventure!

Flew with Etihad at Christmas. Overall not impressed. Customer service poor when trying to get a cancelled ticket refunded because one of our party couldn't fly. Still awaiting response and money back after 5 weeks. Ran out of first choice food on all flights (not a bother for me as I'll eat anything but not great) Found some crew miserable, others uninterested, others downright unprofessional, like the English girl working in business running back to her boyfriend who was sitting in front of us as a passenger bringing him business class leftovers and drinks!!Not in a subtle way either....seats were comfy enough and leg room ok for economy. Delays in Abu Dhabi and no info on gate change or updates or meal vouchers.

Final reflection on my overall experience after return journey - agree with dream tripper, the service wasn't very good - Etihad staff more concerned about themselves and seemed put out if you asked for anything on both return flights.Something just didn't seem right with their general attitude to service at all. One stewardess seemed particularly rude to me for sitting in 'their' specially reserved seats at rear of flight - that was despite being told by another steward to sit down there during a period of turbulence.

Singapore Airlines all the way for our next flight, especially with taking children.