To build or not to build

Hey everyone,

It's been nearly 3 years since we were last on Perth poms when we first moved here. This site was so helpfull when we first arrived and it's time once again to ask for some advice!!

We've decided that we would like to purchase our very own piece of paradise and stick a house on it but thought we would put it out there and see how others have found the whole process?

Can't seem to get many straight answers on why I'm being told that it would prob take 6 months from purchasing a plot of land to the commencement of the build even when titles are already issued on the land.

Thoughts & advice most appriciated

I think it really depends on what you are planning to build. A standard 4x2 using existing plans will be processed quicker and build times will be shorter. My BIL purchased a block in Baldivis and did just that in 2014 and the house was completed, from choosing the block to moving in, within 12 months. Whereas if you are going for a more bespoke design there is a lot more planning involved. Then if it's 2 storey with concrete upper floors apparently they have to allow 3 months for the concrete to set etc etc !!!

We looked at building where we are SOR. We were convinced that's what we would do but when we looked at blocks in our preferred area we found they were (and still are) over priced. By the time we added build costs and all the extra costs of landscaping, pool, fixtures and fittings etc we discovered there were properties on the market in the area which were over capitalised. So we decided to put in a low offer on one and see what happened. We moved in last week!!! No hassle with building, paying rent whilst incurring build costs and risking over capitalising on our investment. Luckily we've found one we love. The layout is perfect for us. I feel we made the right decision.

So just be careful as to what your costs will be and whether you'll lose money as soon as you turn the key. Check out other properties in the area and whether they are selling under or over what it would cost you to buy the land and build.

Edited by Lou8670

First, you might want to have a look at this thread.

http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/renting-real-estate/15595-house-building-queries-open-thread.html

there are several of us building at the moment.

Our process is is almost complete - just waiting for carpets and fly screens.

For us, it has been fair,y painless and we are reasonably happy with the result - just one flaw which we are dealing with the builders about.

The he process has taken about 14 months from signing on the dotted line to now. But, we did amend the plans from the standard fairly significantly. Normally, changes don't effect the build time if they don't cause structural issues or change the floor shape. Our changes required a lot of structural work as we removed the entire back wall and replaced it with glass as we have a view. But, other changes such as internal walls and things don't make any difference.

The process has been great fun. Particularly the chossing of everything - you get to chose everything from colours of walls to what taps.

The he advantage is that we get the house we want and not what someone else wanted.

Will add, that it can be an excellent investment. If you do your work on getting a good block at a good price and same with the builder. That bit requires work and research.

Our total cost cost for land and build is about $530k. The local agents estimate it would sell for about $630k. So a good deal for us. But we did a lot of work to get the deals we wanted and were very careful with the pre start (that is the meeting you will have to finalise all your choices and upgrades).

Like Lou and Stormy say do your research.

We got a bargain of a block so our build costs are way lower than the average house in our area so we should be quids in (or whatever the Aussie equivalent saying would be :wink:)

We signed up in June last year and are STILL at the planning approval stage 7 1/2 months later. We have approval but are now going through the permit approvals. Ours is also made more complex because we're building rural so have to have septics etc. I estimate that we'll be ready to start on site sometime at the end of Feb.

Actual build times are also being affected at the moment by a Brickie shortage. Basically there is so much building going on in Perth the builders just can't resource the demand. Most builders will tell you 6 mths admin, 6 mths build but the reality is that it more like 18 months minimum. Just be prepared to be patient. Unfortunately that is one of my best skills :arghh:

There is a thread about all things building that it might be worth having a look at. It's just lots of general queries and peoples updates on their build but there might be some useful stuff.

Nikki

Another option buy an older house in a good area of the suburb of choice and renovate larger blocks less of the price. But factor costs of what you wish to do and what needs to be done there is a difference. Also if you are able to do any of the work yourselves. Always remember if you wish to sell in the future profits etc again a house is only ever worth what anyone wants to pay for it not the actual value to the vendor, this is where it all goes wrong in Oz vendor always puts more value on the property than it is really worth or what someone else wants to pay.

There does seem to be a fair bit of silly offers being accepted at the moment so definately worth a punt if that's what you want. We built a turn key package, which basically in our case meant everything was included and the house plans and block were already set to go so we basically had our house sign sealed and delivered within 6 months. Everything was included in the price, carpets, blinds, aircon, soak wells , crossover etc. Wall painting and fences were not. We just missed a landscaping deal too, but some do include that. I wanted to buy the house we were renting to be honest, but the OH wanted to build elsewhere so he persuaded me. I'm happy with the decision now because we got such a good deal but it's allgoing to come down to a matter of choice.