acceptable noise

elfie

What is acceptable noise levels? Everyone has a different tolerance level. Sawing hammering power tools in the garden. Rave banging music from car stereos passing hooning neighbours shouting laughing stereo banging garden raving foul language in shopping centres streets gardens dogs barking kids crying screaming. Australias people have no consideration for others I am noticing. Elderly gentleman living by me fell in the shopping centre the other day no one stopped to help i find this bizarre .... I know not every where is the same. Are people afraid to say or do anything in todays society? Wales ever this noisey and un caring i really dont think so??? Or have i turned into an old grumpy person. We all experience annoyance from time to time how does everyone cope? This is,a general observance of late not a personal experience. Just thought I would put a different thread for discussion

im suprised knowone helped the old fella that fell - thats awful ! a lot of folk seem so kind .

However i do think alot get home …..like to slide them doors open ….. crack open a cold one and hit that music - LOUD ! our neighbours like abit of a rave …. but never lasts late - so not to bad .

Elfie I understand where you are coming from and I don't think it is because you think you are getting old and grumpy!

I actually think that some people just have no social conscience and therefore only think of themselves and what they want to do and can't be bothered to see the greater picture and help anyone in need. Whether these people have not been brought up to consider others, or they have a drug or alcohol issue, is immaterial People like this are just not worth knowing - but they can seriously impede on our lives, especially if they are close neighbours or people who live in our neighbourhood. And sometimes I think a lot of people are too scared to get involved because of legal ramifications down the track.

It seems to me that helping out a fellow citizen is something that a lot of people are too scared to do, or they just don't realise that their input could help someone in need.

Comes down to selfishness everytime and some people need a sharp life lesson!:wink:

the world is a much noisier place these days and I do think as we get older we become less tolerant, I know I am. Your generalisations about Australian people having no consideration are a bit ridiculous. In my local shopping centre a few months back a child swallowed a lolly and was choking and many many people ran to help the child who sadly subsequently died. A young man knocked off his motorbike in the local Woolworths car park, plenty of people I witnessed helping him. People being blinkered happens the world over and is not unique to Australia IMVHO.

I agree that I think the world is nosier, but also that people start work earlier too - I'm often at work for 7.30am and see people already working on the building site down the road. I don't think you can generalise about Australians ... after all we live in a cultural melting pot.

Yesterday I was on the train which was quite busy, a number of adults were with children (not toddlers) - a lot were English (could tell by their accents), none of whom offered to give up their seats, but I wouldn't brand all English as being bad mannered.

the world is a much noisier place these days and I do think as we get older we become less tolerant, I know I am. Your generalisations about Australian people having no consideration are a bit ridiculous. In my local shopping centre a few months back a child swallowed a lolly and was choking and many many people ran to help the child who sadly subsequently died. A young man knocked off his motorbike in the local Woolworths car park, plenty of people I witnessed helping him. People being blinkered happens the world over and is not unique to Australia IMVHO.

Hi Anwen With respect I also stated that this is a general observation. I also stated that not all places are like this. Your opinion is noted re consideration and ridiculous. But all opinions are valid regardless if you agree or not. Can I also ask what is IMVHO?

I must say I notice dogs barking during the night much more here than I ever did in the UK. On the whole the neighbourhood is quieter than our old one in the UK, no marauding youths wondering through drunk at 3 am having been drinking white lightening in the park or down the beach. I think this has a lot to do with dogs living outside more here. Weve moved recently but my old neighbours dog would bark randomly through the night, everynight! The neighbour can clearly hear his dog barking at stupid oclock but does nothing about it, if I was to go round his house at 2 am and bash the **** out of his dog with a shovel I'm sure he would get up then! Its about consideration and this neighbour has none.

However the neighbour the otherside has two yappy dogs, came round in our first week to ask if we could hear the dog, only one barked constantly, we said yes and it was annoying. She said they were training the dog not to bark all the time and would welcome our feedback. Within two weeks the dog would only bark if we went to the side gate then after it got used to our voices, not at all! Now, that neighbour, when she damaged her car I helped her out by sourcing some parts and fixing her car up, no charge. The other neighbour, he was stood under his bonnet the other week scratching his head, well, I drove on by!