Looking for School Recommendations

lostwithout

Good morning all

We arrived in Perth one week ago and are currently staying with relatives.  We are hoping to get a rental in the Padbury area November time ready for all our belongings that should arrive early December.  Our son turned 4 early October, is there any advice on how to check school ratings and how to apply for a school place for him.  In the UK he went to nursery 2 day's a week,  I believe he will start at Kindy a couple of day's a week here until he turns 5 when full time school starts? Any advice welcome.

Many thanks

Padbury is a good suburb, so I guess the peimary schools are good as well. You are bound by the catchment area of the school and where you are going to live. Is this concept the same as in the UK? (I'm not a pommie so I don't know if that concept is new or familiar for you)

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you are settling in well! Before we enrolled our daughter in primary school we visited a few and knew after that what was the right fit for her (it wasn't where we were expecting!). She goes to Davallia Primary in Duncraig which is an excellent school, you are catchment bound but at Davallia that does not apply if you start in Kindy (not sure if that applies for all schools?). I think Kindy is normally 2 days one week and then 3 days the following week. We have actually just moved to Padbury and while I don't know anyone who goes to the local schools I think they have all got a good reputation. Let me know if you end up settling here and fancy meeting up! 😀

JenMet did you already have an address when you looked for schools? Or did you find a school you liked and then try and move to the catchment area? We are planning on moving to Duncraig early next year and will have one child in year 1 and one in Kindy. Lostwithout - the websites I have been looking at for school information are www.myschool.edu.au (this has NAPLAN results) and www.bettereducatuion.com.au