glasses

poppops

You can get your eyes checked every two years at little cost and if you ave private health insurance then you can claim back some of the cost of your glasses. I got a voucher for $200 off your next pair of glasses from a new optician opening, took it to my usual guy and asked if he would also give me $200 off and he said yes - so it's worth asking for discounts. Also high street chains often have two for one deals which are worth checking out.

Guest pom on the move

Medicare cover the cost of an eye tests performed by an optometrist.

(Always check when you make an appointment)

Medicare do not cover the cost of glasses & contact lenses so this is good to have on your private health care plan if you wear glasses and/or contact lenses.

"I had an eye test & I wasn't required to pay anything, unlike most doctors & health consultations where you pay & then get your money back this was free, no money left my hands which felt really strange in a country which you seem to have to pay for everything!"

• 1 year later...

Specsavers are here in Aus, eye tests are free with Medicare, if you with HBF you get 'gap free' and get two pairs of glasses, my wife gets contacts free with HBF when ordered online with specsavers, basic medical cover with HBF is really cheap, one dentist appointment and one optician appointment and HBF is paid for, it's worth looking into to, but specsavers here in Aus is very similar to UK

Ha ha saw the thread title and immediately thought "drinking out of or looking through"??

I use Specsavers - eye tests are free through Medicare.

I wear multifocals with transition lenses with as trendy a frame as I can get away with each year via health insurance. My out of pocket costs last year were just over $200 and that included a free pair as well with the same lenses.

If you just need single lenses and choose the basic frames, you can get them without any cost through health insurance.