Medicals for the women

linda@no9

Ive had a look through and cant find an answer.

i remember posting somewhere about brest examination as part of the medical for woman saying i'd been given one, but no one else said this had happened to them. What is now freaking me out, is that i thought if a male doctor examined your breasts, there had to be someone else present (female nurse) and in my case there wasnt. How many of you ladies had a breast exam as part of your application medical please?

Don't worry, my wife says the doctor (female) just checked the glands under her arms near the breasts but all done with bra on. The chest x-ray is done bra off but by female nurses.

The same doctor had a feel in my groin too without touching the meat and veg !

I had to lie down on a couch with just bra and knickers on, but under a blanket and Doc (male) prodded and poked my abdomen, neck, back and throat, but never once touched my chest, only with his stethoscope to listen to my heart. Each med is different. OH wore his best bib and tucker underpants as he was expecting to bear all, but he never got asked to take his trousers off.

They were incredibly busy on the day of our meds so Doc asked if I was OK just for my husband to remain in the room so that the nurse could go and deal with something urgent, which was fine for me.

At the x-ray, only radiologist (lady) and myself in the room. Bra off, but covered up with hospital gown.

Well I went to the same doc as Candygirl and tbh he said as I was over 40 I had to have a full breast examination. OH & kids were on the other side of the curtain though. I hope this doesn't put you off, but I have to say the doc was very professional and very thorough and it was over in a flash. I have to say though I'm glad I had it done as I've never really had a breast examination properly and after losing my best mate to breast cancer 2 years ago (she was 42 leaving 2 young boys) after seeing what she went through for so long, I'm glad I had the examination and had the all clear. If no-one is with you I'm pretty sure they will offer a nurse to be present.

Honestly, its all over very quickly. But if you're under 40 you won't need it. It really isn't worth getting worked up about.

Guest guest9824
Ive had a look through and cant find an answer.

i remember posting somewhere about brest examination as part of the medical for woman saying i'd been given one, but no one else said this had happened to them. What is now freaking me out, is that i thought if a male doctor examined your breasts, there had to be someone else present (female nurse) and in my case there wasnt. How many of you ladies had a breast exam as part of your application medical please?

Hey Linda, had a chest X-ray but no breast exam...and I was over 40 when I had my medical....so not sure why you had one.

Pea

You are meant to have a full and proper Breast exam if over 40. A full and proper breast exam to find lumps can only be done without a bra on and by feeling the breast. If the doctor is a properly qualified Doctor then they would normally ask if you wanted Your partner or someone else there but from this I think it's more to cover their own back in situations like this. A breast exam should feel like that unfortunately Ive had to have dozens in the last couple of years by male and female Doctors and they were all done in the same professional manner. Did you feel uncomfortable at the time? Or is it just idiots making you now feel it, shame on them if so.

Edited by Give me a break!

Thanks for the replies guys. No, GMAB, I accepted it at the time and if the outcome was I had a lump then so be it. I didnt so I guess it was worth it. I just wanted to know if everyone's was the same, but hearing responses I guess not. Not many folk can make me feel an idiot thankfully!

Joking apart, whilst on the subject, what happens about mammograms and pap/smear test in Aus, I'm guessing you have to pay if you want them? Will insurance cover this - how does it all work?

Gosh I have never paid for mammograms or pap smears... but I am an old chook so they might be free because of my advanced years.

You are meant to have a full and proper Breast exam if over 40. A full and proper breast exam to find lumps can only be done without a bra on and by feeling the breast. If the doctor is a properly qualified Doctor then they would normally ask if you wanted Your partner or someone else there but from this I think it's more to cover their own back in situations like this. A breast exam should feel like that unfortunately Ive had to have dozens in the last couple of years by male and female Doctors and they were all done in the same professional manner. Did you feel uncomfortable at the time? Or is it just idiots making you now feel it, shame on them if so.

I can't remember if I had one or not to be honest, but I do remember at the time on the forums that it was (as it is now) seemingly inconsistent with some people having them and others not.

Joking apart, whilst on the subject, what happens about mammograms and pap/smear test in Aus, I'm guessing you have to pay if you want them? Will insurance cover this - how does it all work?

Mammograms if over 50 or 45 in some cases are free on Medicare and so are Pap smears but you can choose to go private if you wish. I was charge for a consult with the Doc when I had my Pap smear but Medicare paid back over half I ended up paying $28 balance. Go to Breastcare WA for mammograms and they are completely free if you qualify for Medicare.

I can't remember if I had one or not to be honest, but I do remember at the time on the forums that it was (as it is now) seemingly inconsistent with some people having them and others not.

Yes I forget things may have changed now they have changed a lot of the Doctors on the medicals list I believe. My medical was 4 years ago now.