Unlocked smart phone working?

English Rose

Hi,

Not sure if anyone would know this one but I have a Samsung s4 smart phone which is factory unlocked. I just wanted to know f it would work in Australia on a local SIM card? Whether it be Optus or Telstra. I will bring it with me if it does then just get a sim only deal when we arrive!

Thanks in advance x

We have our Sony experia and it works over here, my hubby broke his Samsung S3 a few months ago and he got a replacement from insurance. It stated on the box that it was regionally sim locked to European networks and would not work out of Europe. It is something they are doing to newer phones, have a look on Google and check your instructions/info to see if your is the same. Hubby had to sell his before he came.

Not sure if anyone would know this one but I have a Samsung s4 smart phone which is factory unlocked. I just wanted to know f it would work in Australia on a local SIM card? Whether it be Optus or Telstra. I will bring it with me if it does then just get a sim only deal when we arrive!

Thanks in advance x

Oh got one he got a sim put It and it works great.It capped at a dollar to phone England.

I should also mention that Three Mobile have introduced a policy whereby in 16 countries around the world you pay zero roaming fees, and you in fact use your data/text/call allowance when in those countries.

One of the countries on the list is Australia..

It's called "Feel At Home": http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=obj(8216)

This means that you could just keep your Three mobile contract running in the UK (I think).. I'm not sure if this is cheaper, or not.. but it's a possibility.

I should also mention that Three Mobile have introduced a policy whereby in 16 countries around the world you pay zero roaming fees, and you in fact use your data/text/call allowance when in those countries.

One of the countries on the list is Australia..

It's called "Feel At Home": http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=obj(8216)

This means that you could just keep your Three mobile contract running in the UK (I think).. I'm not sure if this is cheaper, or not.. but it's a possibility.

Possible problems would include anyone in Oz ring you would have to pay for an international call to ring you and many online forms will not accept a mobile number that doesn't start with 04 and 10 numbers long

• 4 weeks later...