Any tips for fear if flying?

Bouncy

Hi all, before I come over as a complete loony, I realise this fear is completely irrational. Does anyone have any tips on how to combat this fear? Hypnosis? Anything? We are about a year away from hopefully making the move, when I think about coming to oz, im so excited about it, then I remember the flight but and it makes my heart sink ! This fear doesn't stop me from flying so I guess it isn't that bad, but I dread holidays because of the flights, we stay within Europe so flight times are shorter. I hate taking off and landing, I relax once we are up but any turbulence has my heart in my mouth! I've done long haul before but that was pre kids so alcohol went a long way to calm the nerves!! Obviously having children makes getting tanked up on a flight a no go!! Also I don't want the kids to pick up on this as they enjoy flying, and are too young to wonder why mummy is smiling but her knuckles are white with fear!! Just want to prepare myself for what will be a loooooong flight, and make it as enjoyable as possible. Sorry for the ramble! Any tips much appreciated!

Bouncy x

I'm exactly the same and I get myself into a panic in the days/weeks before. However, I have talked about this a lot lately with friends and I have found it comforting to know that a lot of women feel the same. One friend has been putting off booking even a short haul holiday for years because of her fear. I'm already counting down how many flights I have to take between now and getting to Perth cos after that I'm staying put for awhile (we are off on holiday soon so have those flights to get through). Anyway, knowing that it's normal kind of helps me. My kids know I'm scared and think I'm silly....I make one of them them hold my hand and I cant talk during landing or turbulence. I try and absorb myself in a film during the turbulence...and I keep an eye on the flight attendants to see if they look calm.

Even the most seasoned travellers have a few concerns with flying, so you are not on your own. Tell the hostess if you are struggling, you will be surprised what the have in their box of tricks to help you out. I'm flying in about 8hours time back to oz, watch a movie, read a book, a drink or two, and have a snooze! Turbulence, just imagine it is a pothole in the road, a bit annoying and unnerving when you hit, but its ok after a few seconds. Talk to your kids or your oh just to distract yourself from it. A friend of mine gripped my hand so tight on a flight to Portugal she drew blood with her nails! So i can imagine how you feel. Everyone is afraid of something, i was afraid of driving or walking over canal bridges incase they collapsed (i know, weird). I was cured when i moved to Venice and had to do it many times a day. The more you fly the easier it gets.

Hi all, thanks for all replies!! Good to know in not alone in this! I particularly like the cruise option jamesw! If only I had 82 days free!! Not to mention 11k, best get saving!; ) I used to be petrified of lifts but working in a hospital I inevitably use then on a daily basis, I don't give it a second thought now!! Thanks for the tips guys!! Hopefully I'll get to use them!! X

I've just had some alternative therapy (Inner RePatterning) for my fear of flying and when I think about it now I feel fine (whereas before I would panic at the sheer thought of flying) however the test will be when I fly in two weeks time! Will let you know if it works! x