Thoughts on Butler?

When we came over we had also flagged Butler as a possibility as we drove around looking at places before we viewed them, some of butler looks really nice and its odd but looking on realestate is really misleading, you will see what i mean once you are out here and looking for yourself, some of the houses we viewed also must be set back in the good old days when they could rent a cardboard box and dirty and needs some TLC but still trying to charge $550 a week. I wouldnt worry about rentals until you get out here. i thought we was set on Quinns rock but we have ended up in Jindalee, in fact Eden Beach which is north Jindalee. When we was looking at Butler we have been advised against living there by estate agents, in fact one has avoided living in Jindalee and moved to Amberton just to be far enough away from Butler, the general consensus seems to be that it was built really fast and a whole load of rentals and a whole load of wrong people. (again what people have said not my opinion)

The reason we have looked at Jindalee is that we are looking at renting in a place that we are likley to be able to afford to buy in the future.

All the best for your hunting Mackem

When we came over we had also flagged Butler as a possibility as we drove around looking at places before we viewed them, some of butler looks really nice and its odd but looking on realestate is really misleading, you will see what i mean once you are out here and looking for yourself, some of the houses we viewed also must be set back in the good old days when they could rent a cardboard box and dirty and needs some TLC but still trying to charge $550 a week. I wouldnt worry about rentals until you get out here. i thought we was set on Quinns rock but we have ended up in Jindalee, in fact Eden Beach which is north Jindalee. When we was looking at Butler we have been advised against living there by estate agents, in fact one has avoided living in Jindalee and moved to Amberton just to be far enough away from Butler, the general consensus seems to be that it was built really fast and a whole load of rentals and a whole load of wrong people. (again what people have said not my opinion)

The reason we have looked at Jindalee is that we are looking at renting in a place that we are likley to be able to afford to buy in the future.

All the best for your hunting Mackem

Well this is interesting. Estate agents advising folk not to buy in the area has to be a big concern. Cheers for heads up.

P.S. Less of the 'Mackem' please, it doesn't work without the last bit haha. I'm a Geordie through and through

Even the locals know to avoid clarkson and butler. They do not enjoy good reputations in Perth and only once you live there will you see why. But then if you dont live anywhere else you wont know any different. Low rents unfortunately attract lower quality tenants, believe me i experienced it first hand in butler and i could not wait to get out. I work in clarkson but live in carramar now. Rents have come down considerably here and what was going for $500 a week in carramar now goes for $400/420. My personal opinion is to not look beyond burns beach road but that is only because of my experience and what i see while living here. Its very hard to judge online and we were the same about butler before we moved here thinking it looked great. Lots will disagree with me but thats my opinion :)

I know lots of people who live in Butler and are very happy and have not experienced any issues. We didn't want to be any further north than Burns Beach Rd and no further east than Wanneroo Road and any time I visit the suburbs out of that self imposed catchment I feel I made the right decision.

Butler is nice enough. Plenty of facilities, plenty of development ongoing too. Bit toy town still but close to beach. Obviously it will attract many people wanting cheaper housing, often a lot of new arrivals. If I was moving up that way though I'd go for Quinns Rocks if wanting coastal suburb (choose area wisely) then if one suburb in I'd look at Currambine, great facilities and 5 mins form coast, plenty of new builds plus established suburb but still looks 'fresh'....great value. Carramar, not enough to justify the extra $$$ compared to Currambine...Avoid Ridgewood and Merriwa, dirt cheap for a reason, lots of refugees and rough types....again sure if you choose right street etc it'd be fine but I wouldn't chance it when there's options like Butler etc...Jindalee is nice but more expensive......

I really like Yanchep but obviously more out of the way..but for coastal and cheap it's great.

Butler is nice enough. Plenty of facilities, plenty of development ongoing too. Bit toy town still but close to beach. Obviously it will attract many people wanting cheaper housing, often a lot of new arrivals. If I was moving up that way though I'd go for Quinns Rocks if wanting coastal suburb (choose area wisely) then if one suburb in I'd look at Currambine, great facilities and 5 mins form coast, plenty of new builds plus established suburb but still looks 'fresh'....great value. Carramar, not enough to justify the extra $$$ compared to Currambine...Avoid Ridgewood and Merriwa, dirt cheap for a reason, lots of refugees and rough types....again sure if you choose right street etc it'd be fine but I wouldn't chance it when there's options like Butler etc...Jindalee is nice but more expensive......

I really like Yanchep but obviously more out of the way..but for coastal and cheap it's great.

Everyone seems to have different opinions - some say Butler is great, other say its a bit sketchy. We'll just have to find out for ourselves.

Jindalee doesn't seem too expensive compared to other places. Living close to the beach would be lovely.

Guest Guest6235

I did a job for a great ozzie family last Wednesday who live in Clarkson and they've never had any issues. The two lads were so polite and the youngest one as soon as he got in from school asked if i would like a drink. They are moving though to Queensland as they want a change for their family with more things to do & also they can get more for their $$$. Carramar isn't heaven by any means, police only warning again recently about this area suffering a lot of burglaries.

Everyone seems to have different opinions - some say Butler is great, other say its a bit sketchy. We'll just have to find out for ourselves.

Jindalee doesn't seem too expensive compared to other places. Living close to the beach would be lovely.

If you want to live in a traditional Australian home with lots of Australian neighbours and have middle class neighbours then Butler is not for you. But if you want a modern, new build home in the outer suburbs, close to transport links and the beach with local facilities plus a pub which may have a few problems with 'a bit of trouble' nothing unlike an estate pub in UK, you'll like it.

It wouldn't be my choice because the housing is too bland for my taste, it's a bit too far north and I prefer older suburbs but I would say don't be afraid of moving to a place that others knock...if you pick the right house and don't want to necessarily be best mates with everyone in your street, you can have a nice life in Butler I would say. Lot of snob value of homes and property/areas. Butler will have pockets where there is unsocial element/hoons/a lot of young teens roaming....like any suburb where younger families are likely to live. You'll get ht an miss roads where it's obvious there's a lot of social housing tenants living that you wouldn't get in areas like Iluka or Burns Beach or on 'private estates' You will have to choose house wisely. If next door looks like Steptoes yard then obviously you won't move there. A lot like that in cheaper burbs....like Ridgewood/Merriwa/Banksia Grove.....

Other people are happy to have their own little haven in the middle of such an estate if they keep self to self and neighbours are OK.....that's not to say all Butler is like that as most is just like an average new estate in UK....the cheaper it gets the rougher it is in general....

Edited by DreamTripper

Also remember that living in a beachside suburb does not mean you can walk to the beach. Remember heat of summer with chairs/boards etc...most will drive which is why, unless you buy and can afford beach front or few streets back I would buy one suburb in as the time difference to get there will be negligible but price difference will be noticeable.

Also remember that living in a beachside suburb does not mean you can walk to the beach. Remember heat of summer with chairs/boards etc...most will drive which is why, unless you buy and can afford beach front or few streets back I would buy one suburb in as the time difference to get there will be negligible but price difference will be noticeable.

Never even thought of this. Great tip.

We've been here 3 weeks now and like you we had a few ideas of where we wanted to be but honestly, until you get here you just cannot tell. I became addicted to checking rentals and properties for sale in suburbs I thought would be perfect for us, but when you drive around you get a feeling for a place and its not always good. Two estate agents told us to avoid Butler and one told us there were pockets of Quinns Rocks to avoid. We drove around Butler and it looks lovely, we even viewed a property there that was gorgeous and affordable across from a park but decided it was not for us. Also a word of warning, the photos of properties to rent can be quite deceptive as we've found out the hard way. Often a photo has been used from their archive,when you show up its clear the photos were 3-5years old or they use a picture of the house when it was advertised for sale, not after its been rented out for many years. But, its a renters market now so be pushy on what you want. We were at a viewing and spotted stains on the carpet and the curtains were clearly old and falling to pieces..the agent said you can put in your application "we will rent this property on the condition the carpets and curtains are replaced". Needless to say, we didn't bother we just accepted another house that didn't need any work doing to it for the same price. So my advice would be wait until you get here and see for yourself :)

• 4 weeks later...

We have our permanent residency now and are looking at different suburbs, but I want to know why is there so many rentals available? A lot of people seem to be coming home (UK/Ireland) so is this it, or is it because the people that made money in the mines bought second properties and now can't rent them? Quite scary hearing of Perth slowing up a bit xxx

from the feed back we have got by speaking with people and agents is that you are dead right, a whole load of people brought houses / cars and boats that they couldn't afford and once the mines slowed down they have had to start selling their toys. We have had a look around Butler and parts look nice, i like the BBQ test...... and the one by the park / lake Dome failed miserably. Generally the public BBQ are looked after and people clean them after they have been used, however the one at the location above looks like SH1T, i see it as how the people live in that area, respect where they are living. Granted other people may have traveled and messed it up. But then you get visitors to other locations that are all well kept. I have been told (by estate agents) that there are a lot of social housing in Butler / Clarkson, so take from that what you will.

We have our permanent residency now and are looking at different suburbs, but I want to know why is there so many rentals available? A lot of people seem to be coming home (UK/Ireland) so is this it, or is it because the people that made money in the mines bought second properties and now can't rent them? Quite scary hearing of Perth slowing up a bit xxx

There are loads of rental available. Yes, a lot of people have left and returned to the UK and Ireland. The economy in WA is not good and a lot of people have lost their jobs / struggling to find jobs.

Just looking at potential suburbs for us to set up home during our first year or so and Butler seems ridiculously good value compared to other suburbs -any reason for this?

I know it's quite far north but we have family in Burns Beach anyway and that's not too far away. Train station is up and running there now as well so trips to and from the city shouldn't be too bad.

Just wanting some opinions really. Good and bad.

Cheers folks.

Hi @Mackemslayer and @JasonM,

I will try to update what i find out as i go along.

We have only been here a week and have just started looking about areas to get a feel of the place (although this is really more for my benefit as my OH would happliy go anyway and has no real interest as along as we have a garage. sado!

We were initally thinking to stay central so that whereever we get a job is easier, as well my brother is central at the mo and he states that whereever he drives he is going against the traffic. That said, I would like to start getting to know the suburb we plan to stay near to if we can. I have taken the advise of someone on here, he made a great and valid point i think, that try to rent where you think you can afford to eventually buy a house if that if what you would like to do. So we will have to presume we will as skint as we were in the uk and look at the cheaper areas to live, either very north or south or east.

So we started out yesterday heading up to Butler with a view to swinging by all the main areas on out way back down. I think we realistically saw about a quarter of what i wanted. A 1 and 4 year in the back seats seriously hindered the plan.

I will write another post tonight on what i saw, but right now i am supposed to be sorting out job stuff while the bloke has taken the kids out for a couple of hrs. So i best do what i planned.

Jason i would be interested in what you find along your way too

Lauren

Edited by LoopyLauren

Cool @LoopyLauren! That would be a great help.

As I say, Butler looks brilliant on the internet. Only the commute that is really off putting.

I do think you've been given some good advice, mind. Exactly how I've been thinking since day one. Don't wanna end up renting somewhere right on the limit of our budget only to then never be able to afford our own place.

Anyway, really pleased you're gonna share your opinion. Thanks a lot.

• 4 months later...

Lived for 8 years in Butler and now live across the road in Jindalee (moved to be closer to beach, but wanted to stay in same area). It amazes me all the rubbish said about Butler, mainly by people that have never been there. Butler has a great community, fantastic facilities, restaurants, train station, family pub and is only 800 metres from the beach. There are numerous parks and playgrounds and the central lakes, BBQ's and playground are a focal point for families. The primary schools are excellent. Yes there is homes west housing just like most other area of Perth. Most of this housing you would not be able to distinguish from privately owned homes. Considering the cost of housing and rentals in the suburb I think it offers an excellent option for people moving to the Perth. I moved from NZ 14 years ago and the lifestyle I enjoy in the Butler/Jindalee area is exactly what I moved for. I feel like I am on holiday everday (if I did not have to go to work!).