489 relative sponsored living and working in Perth

Ringocole

Hi - I currently have an EOI in with 60 points under Welfare Centre Manager for a 189 permanent visa (submitted 28/06/17)  However, my sister lives in Perth and has citizenship - if I put an EOI in for a 489 family sponsored I will have 70 points. However, when I look at the information it seems that if I had a 489 relative sponsored I would only be able to live and work in regional Western Australia and not in Perth or the surrounding areas - Obviously PR is my preferred option but i think I stand more of a chance of getting an invitation to apply with 70 points. I would welcome any advice please - can I live and work in Perth/surrounding areas with a 489 relative sponsored visa?

On a 489 there is a legal requirement to live in a regional area for 2 years and work in a regional area for 1 year. The closest regional area to Perth is Mandurah. You family would also need to be living in a regional area

The family stream 489 also has one of the longest processing times

• Like 2

OK thank you - I thought my family (my sister) needed to live in a designated area of Australia and listed on the gov website -  anywhere in WA is a designated area. I really want to live in Perth though so I will hold off on an EOI for the 489 - I'm just worried I will never get the invitation to apply as I only have 60 points for the 189!! Thanks for getting back to me.

I have read recently that pretty much no occupations are getting invited with less than 60 points. So, actually, a 489 might be a good option.

It does limit work options, but Mandurah is still a very nice place to live - we are citizens and lived there for 8 years. A lot of the forum members chose to live in the Mandurah area as it gives the option of a beach lifestyle without paying millions which you would in Perth. Also, Perth is only 50 minutes on the train

Hi - thanks for the responses - I have been looking at this and have found on the border.gov website that if you are sponsored by a relative then you can work in any designated area - when you click on the links for designated area it says WA - all states/everywhere 

it also says - 

Sponsored applicants

You can work in any designated area in any state or territory.

the link to the page is here - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-

so now I am confused - it seems to me that it would be a good idea to submit a 189 as I would have 70 points and more chance of receiving an invite - looking at the recent invitation round results no one with 60/65 points was invited for a 189 in July

any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi - I thought I would update this in case anyone has the same question as me in the future - I got my 489 family sponsored visa granted today!

My sister sponsored me and my visa condition is that I must live and work in a designated area - which is anywhere in WA

For info my time line is:

EOI for 189 submitted 27/06/17 (60 points) Welfare Centre Manager occupation

Police check submitted 29/06/17 (certificate completed 06/07/17)

Updated EOI submitted for a 489 family sponsored 16/08/17 (70 points)

ITA received 22/08/17

Medicals completed 30/08/17

Visa application submitted 01/09/17

Direct visa grant 23/10/17 

I didn't use a migration agent and had key documents certified (birth cert, passport page, driving licence, degree certifcates/academic transcripts etc) I completed form 80 for myself and my husband and form 1221 for my husband too

I hope that is helpful to anyone searching for the same visa type - good luck!

I am so excited - I just need to find a job now and we can go :)

Congratulations on your visa - how long has it been granted for?  Are you sure it's anywhere in WA?  I thought the new premier took away Perth CBD (surrounds).

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/services/skilled-migration-western-australia/regional-areas

Page Content

On a Nominated Regional visa (subclass 489), you are required to live and work in a regional or low population growth metropolitan area.

You cannot live or work in the capital city of Perth.

In Western Australia there are nine areas which are considered to be regional:

Gascoyne
Goldfields-Esperance
Kimberley
Pilbara
Mid West
South West
Great Southern
Peel
Wheatbelt

Western Australia
except Perth and
surrounding areas
6041 to 6044
6083 to 6084
6121 to 6126
6200 to 6799

• 6 months later...

Hi Ringocole,

Thanks for the detailed info including the processing time of your visa. Hope you are enjoying your time in Australia and have found a job. I'm in the same situation as you were in June 2017. I have applied for 189 visa with 60 points but haven't received any invite yet. My sister as well stays in Perth. After reading your topic I am planning to apply for 489 visa. Can you please confirm if we can stay and work in any other designated area other than Perth(for instance, somewhere in Victoria), though my relative sponsor stays in Perth.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - apologies for the delay in replying - we fly out on the 24th June so 3 weeks today!!

In answer to your question - I'm not sure I'm afraid - when you complete the EOI you input the designated areas you are interested in but as my sister lives in WA and I put WA as my designated area - I'm not sure what would have happened if I had put in another designated area.

you can apply for a 489 as a regional sponsored one - so maybe you could do it that way?

here is the link to the page https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/489-

Good luck and hopefully you have got an ITA on the 189 visa now

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick question re: 489.

If the application is Family Sponsored, we've established you and live/work anywhere in WA. However, in order to receive an invite for this visa does:

a) The occupation code need to be on the MTSSL generally & not necessarily WA specific?

b) If the occupation code is a pro-rata code, I assume the points will still need to be met (i.e. 75 points) so 70 points is unlikely to receive an invitation?

15 hours ago, Horsemad1976 said:

Quick question re: 489.

If the application is Family Sponsored, we've established you and live/work anywhere in WA. However, in order to receive an invite for this visa does:

a) The occupation code need to be on the MTSSL generally & not necessarily WA specific?

b) If the occupation code is a pro-rata code, I assume the points will still need to be met (i.e. 75 points) so 70 points is unlikely to receive an invitation?

Correct to both

• 4 months later...

Hi Ringocole, 

I have a query with you on regarding 489 family sponsored visa. I am struggling in collecting 80 -85 points for 189 visa in Sydney and planning to move Perth in 489 visa. My sister is living in Perth for more than 10 years and she is a permanent resident there but she is not in regional area, she is in Perth city. In this situation, is she eligible to sponsor me in 489 visa or she must be living in regional area of Perth or WA? Hope you will assist me , 

Hi Sheela - yes your sister can sponsor you as relatives need to live in a designated area of Australia and not a regional area - this link helps https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/designated-areas-of-australia  and there is more information on that website on the visa in general too - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/invited-pathway#Overview. You still need to have an occupation on the eligible list and will need to do a skills assessment for that. So as long as you meet all the other visa requirements and your sister is a a permanent resident then she can sponsor you for this visa.

Hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. 

Myself and husband and young child are looking to make the move in the next few years, I have 80 points myself for the 489 visa with an occupation on the STOL. 

However we too have family living in Perth suburb and they want to sponsor us. But I’m lead to believe that this isn’t possible because it’s one of the areas where if they live they cannot sponsor us, but if your sister lives in Perth and can sponsor you this isn’t correct, am I right? 

Many info greatly appreciated. 

13 hours ago, RVN30 said:

Hi there. 

Myself and husband and young child are looking to make the move in the next few years, I have 80 points myself for the 489 visa with an occupation on the STOL. 

However we too have family living in Perth suburb and they want to sponsor us. But I’m lead to believe that this isn’t possible because it’s one of the areas where if they live they cannot sponsor us, but if your sister lives in Perth and can sponsor you this isn’t correct, am I right? 

Many info greatly appreciated. 

You can not be family sponsored for an occupation on the short term list. Occupations for family sponsored 489 have to be on the long term list. 

• 4 months later...
On 23/10/2017 at 23:53, Ringocole said:

Hi - I thought I would update this in case anyone has the same question as me in the future - I got my 489 family sponsored visa granted today!

My sister sponsored me and my visa condition is that I must live and work in a designated area - which is anywhere in WA

For info my time line is:

EOI for 189 submitted 27/06/17 (60 points) Welfare Centre Manager occupation

Police check submitted 29/06/17 (certificate completed 06/07/17)

Updated EOI submitted for a 489 family sponsored 16/08/17 (70 points)

ITA received 22/08/17

Medicals completed 30/08/17

Visa application submitted 01/09/17

Direct visa grant 23/10/17 

I didn't use a migration agent and had key documents certified (birth cert, passport page, driving licence, degree certifcates/academic transcripts etc) I completed form 80 for myself and my husband and form 1221 for my husband too

I hope that is helpful to anyone searching for the same visa type - good luck!

I am so excited - I just need to find a job now and we can go :)

HI Ringcole,

My sister lives in Perth too. I left Perth in September 2017, and had to move to Canberra as there were no feasible options to get PR though my sister is a citizen and lives in Perth. My agent also told me that my relative needed to live in regional areas. Today I was looking at relative sponsor pathway and found your post. Could you please share me your email address so that I can discuss it personally. my email is rusho696@hotmail.com. Thanks and congrats.