Recommended Posts

    Seriously considering emigration to Australia as have a daughter already living there. We will have a good income from private and public pensions but not enough cash for the full contributory visa. Will we be able to pay in installments? Can we still claim our British pension whilst living in Australia? What is the chance of getting over there with a non-contributory visa? Sorry for all the questions but just starting out on our journey. 

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi and welcome,

    First thing is if you pass the balance of family test (do you have any more children?).  

    You meet the balance of family test if:

    at least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or

    more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

    I think the contributory parent visa is paid for in two installments (both substantial amounts).

    Some people enter Aus and then apply for the non-contributory visa and are granted a bridging visa whilst they wait, but generally I believe the bridging visa only has the same rights as the previous one - so you would need to look into how restrictive this would be.

    The government announced that they are going to introduce a temporary parent visa.  You still need to pass the balance of family test, your daughter will need to have been here on a PR visa for at least 2 years.  You will also need an assurance of support (I can't see that this means payment only that you will be supported financially if necessary).

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The none contributory visa is available but currently has a processing time of about 30 years. 

    The effect on pensions is important. You can continue to claim but they are frozen at point of migration - so no more rises. In the long term this can be significant.  

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Similar Content

      • By Andrew Reed
        I have been in Australia for 3 years now, we are quite settled and I am looking at transferring my assets. The problem is that I have no idea how to transfer my pension, I have spoken to a couple of friends that transferred their pensions over into something called an Offshore QROPS but they seemed to have paid quite high charges (e.g. 3-5% of the total pension) are there any cheaper options out there and is this the best option?
      • By Sarah Bass
        Looking for guidance on bringing across a UK contribution pension scheme. But have some questions. 
        Quick current status summary. We have been in Australia for 4 years first on a 457 and got granted our PR Sept 2016 (so have missed out on getting our Citizenship in September this year).  We are in our mid forties.
        Assuming we do eventually get Citizenship and can afford to retire here my questions are:
        Is there tax payable if we bring across our UK pensions and put them into an Australian super fund?
        Ive seen some information around needing to leave the money in the fund for 5-10 years. Are we therefore best to look to bring it across now?
        Whats the earliest Australian super funds can be accessed come retirement?
        Is there limits to time spent abroad if you're drawing from your superfund in Australia. For example when retired up to 6 months is spent travelling a year. 
        Whats the implications if the pension funds are left in the U.K. And then we draw down on them once retirement comes?
        if anyone has experience of retiring here it would be great to here from you. 
        Many thanks