So hard to find work here in rockingham!

Guest Zoelouxx

Guest Zoelouxx

So I've been here a year now and still not settled into a job! Isit just me or do Aussies really hate us poms? Starting to feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. Every time I think I'm getting somewhere it just doesn't happen :( so if anyone knows of any jobs in Rockingham area please let me know :) thank you

Hi

don't loose hope, me and my husband have been here for 4 months and both have full time well paid jobs. I am a senior worker - Domestic violence and my husband is a car salesman. You will find something if you look hard enough. I havn't experienced any pommy/oz issues. I find aussies to be very friendly and most of time very thoughtful to our circumstances in moving across the world :)

Rome was not born in a day type mentality here. As for Rocky, and without knowing what you do, then agree with above comment. Same for everyone when they arrive. Unless you have a niche skillset, or get lucky, it is an uphill task all over this city especially if you are in an area where there are limited opportunties.

As for your "do Aussies really hate us poms" comments hopefully you honestly do not believe that and are saying it of frustration? It is culturally different here and there a big difference as to how things are done and not about likes and dislikes. Sure you appreciate that with being here for a while.

So I've been here a year now and still not settled into a job! Isit just me or do Aussies really hate us poms? Starting to feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. Every time I think I'm getting somewhere it just doesn't happen :( so if anyone knows of any jobs in Rockingham area please let me know :) thank you

Oh I do so relate to your post. As someone previously posted what is your line of work? Then perhaps someone can point you in the right direction.

Re do Aussies really hate us poms? Unfortunately yes some do but not all. I get in my work Oh not another bloody POM my reply is Pom I'm not a criminal if I was I wouldn't have been able to get visa and live here !!!!!!!!!!!!! They look at me a bit blank then I explain what Pom means usually does the trick and puts a smile on my face. My hubby gets it a lot on the mine sites his reply to them is a bit harsher than mine he usually replies if you had a better education system then you wouldn't have a skills shortage in all areas that require other nationalities to fill them that usually works also. But its not just the British, on the mine sites its the Kiwis also they get a lot of stick and many other nationalities no matter where they work.

Bit like back home in the Uk with the Polish Croats etc ...... same >>>> different day so to speak

Good luck something will turn up for you I am sure

• 2 months later...
Guest LRugby

Hey!

I'm moving to Rockingham in late September with my partner. I'll be on a Working Holiday Visa so i'm aware of the restrictions that I will have but I was hoping (possibly quite naively) that I could pick up some work in local cafes/shops etc and then look for better paid jobs in the city! Are all the Employment Agencies based in the city or are there a few in the local area?

Snap...been here a year too and hardly anything in Rockingham.We are trying to move nearer to the city in the next month so I'm hoping that will give me better opportunities.I work in admin and when I first arrived I was told by a lady at Bridging the Gap that there were no admin jobs here (Rocko) or agencies that could help me.If you try on Seek there are sometimes vacancies around the naval base and Kwinana.

FFS Australia is a big country .WA is a big state, bigger than Europe , you're moaning can't get a job on rocko , it's a burb of a city , try looking city wide it hellex

Snap...been here a year too and hardly anything in Rockingham.We are trying to move nearer to the city in the next month so I'm hoping that will give me better opportunities.I work in admin and when I first arrived I was told by a lady at Bridging the Gap that there were no admin jobs here (Rocko) or agencies that could help me.If you try on Seek there are sometimes vacancies around the naval base and Kwinana.

Agencies will be of little use. I am not sure moving nearer the city would help much, you would end up with a bigger mortgage and be further from the beeches, if that's important to you. If you want to work locally you will have to put yourself out there, I mean knocking on doors and introducing yourself. Word of mouth and fronting up are the keys to success. As for the comment do they hate us, I would say not at all, but if you want respect in their culture the well used phrase "toughen up princess" comes to mind. This is no place for shrinking violets, you have to go out and get it.

I know lots of British that have jobs.....its no easier here than it is back in the UK. It has nothing to do with the Aussies not liking you...but honestly some immigrants do nothing to help the situation.... the old adage of POM and the meaning of may have worn a little thin in the eyes of Aussies. My Aussie friends company...paid to relocate a family here in Mandurah and less than 3 months later the wife goes and buys tickets for the entire family home because she misses her shopping trips with her girlfriends!!!...he has no choice but to go back. So overall that company is big time out of pocket and she doesn't see anything is wrong with that!

As Greg says get out there and knock on doors.....you may have to do job that you maybe wouldn't do but it gets you in there!

This doesn't surprise me there are so many wives of skilled people coming over all looking for admin jobs, without Aussie experience . Sometimes you need to take a step backwards think out of the box and either retrain or try something else for a while.

To the OP the attitude that the only reason you can't get a job is because Aussies don't like Poms isn't going to help, you may be coming across as the big I am ( I'm not saying you are, but I've seen many that do.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, first time on Perth poms. Me and my partner are moving to Rockingham in early Dec 13, and my partner currently has his own building business. Does anyone know if there is much bricklaying work in Rockingham/Baldivis area's? Also, heard that the building trade slows down Dec/Jan, can anyone advise?

• 8 months later...
Hi everyone, first time on Perth poms. Me and my partner are moving to Rockingham in early Dec 13, and my partner currently has his own building business. Does anyone know if there is much bricklaying work in Rockingham/Baldivis area's? Also, heard that the building trade slows down Dec/Jan, can anyone advise?

Building industry in general slows down for a month over Xmas & school holidays, same again, there seems to be a lot bricklayers jobs out there but you have to be prepared to travel, there are huge building sites spread over just about every corner of Perth, you could end up working for a brickie that lives in Rockingham but is working in Ellenbrook, there is no shortage of brickies travelling up and down the freeways in the rush hour with there loaded down utes & cement mixer on the trailer.

i have just started to build a house in Joondalup, the builder has already told me there is a shortage of brickies so be patient and don't expect to be built in a day ( not a good sign, they always tell you gases things after you have signed up )