Swan Valley Wineries

Cavoodles

Hi All

I have hordes of guest coming this year, we have been in Perth 2 years but with work and kids we haven't done too much. Which wineries would you recommend, to taste and to eat lunch. We will have 2 kids 9-13.

Also any other must do with the relies idea's would be great all can walk and fit-ish!!

Much appreciated :wubclub:

Windy Creek Shiraz and Verdelho are very drinkable and affordable. I think if you give them a call to book a tasting they'll organise food and you can sit in their garden and enjoy the open air, it's beautiful.

For something special try Ugly Duckling, their Chardonnay is spectacular. They make lovely little gourmet pies with their wines in the stock and they're lovely but you'd have to call and let them know how many are coming.

Guest guest9824
Hi All

I have hordes of guest coming this year, we have been in Perth 2 years but with work and kids we haven't done too much. Which wineries would you recommend, to taste and to eat lunch. We will have 2 kids 9-13.

Also any other must do with the relies idea's would be great all can walk and fit-ish!!

Much appreciated :wubclub:

Swan Valley is awesome, but there is also Bickley up in the hills, Brookside Vinyard, is lovely,rustic, but welcoming. Also Myattsfield has a good rep....there is also Core Cider. Most places only open at the weekends but the views over the Bickley valley are stunning...maybe tie it in with a visit to the markets which will be on a week this Saturday.....

What are the most popular/available/cheap local red wines over there?

I ask because I can't drink Shiraz which seems to be a pretty popular Aussie choice (if the uk supermarkets are to be believed!)

Sorry to hijack the thread but have wanted to ask for a while and thought it fitted here better than starting a whole new thread!!

Thanks!

I ask because I can't drink Shiraz which seems to be a pretty popular Aussie choice (if the uk supermarkets are to be believed!)

Sorry to hijack the thread but have wanted to ask for a while and thought it fitted here better than starting a whole new thread!!

Thanks!

Shiraz or should I say Syrah, is the most widely grown grape in Australia and so yes, there is a lot of it around. What is it that prevents you from drinking it?

Sorry, I don't mean to appear challenging but there is a massive variety in flavour depending on where it is grown. I can't drink those massive bold, spicy Shiraz's made from over ripe grapes that Australia became known for. Over the last 20 or so years the wine has become so much more refined so growers in cooler areas use that to their advantage, producing a much, much lighter Shiraz. They still have a hint of spice but it's delicate and works with the lighter body.

Generally speaking, the Shiraz produced in the Barossa valley will have that huge plummy spice but go for one from the Hunter Valley or southern WA for a lighter, sharper flavour without that cloying richness.

Don't worry though, if you really can't go near a Shiraz then Grenache and Sav Blanc is popular here too.

When you get here I recommend spending some considerable time working your way through what's on offer direct from the wineries' cellar door, preferably with a plate of good cheese...

Guest guest9824

Thanks!

Im not a Shiraz fan either, it has always seemed too heavy for me. I like Pinot Noir, its lighter and means I can still drink it in summer, rather than returning to white wines in summer. I do like Merlooooootttt too, but I will upset Porty by saying that:biggrin:

Edited by guest9824
spelliing

Shiraz or should I say Syrah, is the most widely grown grape in Australia and so yes, there is a lot of it around. What is it that prevents you from drinking it?

Sorry, I don't mean to appear challenging but there is a massive variety in flavour depending on where it is grown. I can't drink those massive bold, spicy Shiraz's made from over ripe grapes that Australia became known for. Over the last 20 or so years the wine has become so much more refined so growers in cooler areas use that to their advantage, producing a much, much lighter Shiraz. They still have a hint of spice but it's delicate and works with the lighter body.

Generally speaking, the Shiraz produced in the Barossa valley will have that huge plummy spice but go for one from the Hunter Valley or southern WA for a lighter, sharper flavour without that cloying richness.

Don't worry though, if you really can't go near a Shiraz then Grenache and Sav Blanc is popular here too.

When you get here I recommend spending some considerable time working your way through what's on offer direct from the wineries' cellar door, preferably with a plate of good cheese...

Unfortunately I quite like Shiraz - it's more a case of Shiraz doesn't like me!! I've learnt the hard way that it's just not worth it.

I do like Pinot Noir so it's good to know that's available Pea. Over here we tend to drink Spanish wines (Rioja/Tempranillo) but I will certainly be taking your advice Porty and trying a bit of everything! :wacko: Liking the idea of the cheese platter too!

Guest guest9824
i am surprised dan's stocks that one! Impressive!

I find Dan Murphy's stock a good range of European wines too, like Rioja, Barolo and chianti, and French wines like Medoc. Liquorland and Woolies seem limited.

You are welcome Odies, you can see the variety online at dan Murphy's website and order on line.

Pea

DM's sometimes have really good prices on Angostura 1824 and 1919 rums too.

Pretty sure they'll price match though. If you ask them what their best price is they usually have a stack of competitors flyers for comparison.