taking the plunge...

beandownunder

out of interest how many of you lovely people have made the move without first even visiting Perth/australia?

how did it work out?? or is it complete madness??

cheers,

J x

hi Janine,

neither myself or scott have been to Australia !! yes its complete madness, we have sold our house and moved in with scotts mum, which I have to say is working out really well :-))

I do feel that its quite out of reach for us at the mo, but today I have spoken with my friend in Australia and im all excited again !!

jo. xx

hi Janine,

neither myself or scott have been to Australia !! yes its complete madness, we have sold our house and moved in with scotts mum, which I have to say is working out really well :-))

I do feel that its quite out of reach for us at the mo, but today I have spoken with my friend in Australia and im all excited again !!

jo. xx

im excited too Jo, we got the ita through really quickly and my head is in turmoil now! just wondering if it would be better to just go for it?! glad its all working out with the in laws ( I couldn't do it even with my own parents- a fortnight holiday with them is testing enough lol!)

J x

im excited too Jo, we got the ita through really quickly and my head is in turmoil now! just wondering if it would be better to just go for it?! glad its all working out with the in laws ( I couldn't do it even with my own parents- a fortnight holiday with them is testing enough lol!)

J x

thanks Janine,

I would just go for it !! all that money its going to cost you in a reccie, id spend that money on flight up grades :-))

glad the ITA came through quickly.

I couldn't live with my mum, but oddly enough its working out well here, its only scotts mum so not too many of us :-)

x

Never been to Oz before we moved. No problems in settling.

Did as much research as possible so there wasnt any real surprises. I'm glad I didn't overthink about it too much and just got on with it.

Perth is a great place....but I suppose if you don't make an effort, or things don't fall into place that could taint how you would feel about the place, ie If you can't find work, don't make friends etc.

The other people who won't like it are the ones who get carried away with the notion of moving but in reality aren't really cut out to make the move a success....as they say its not The UK with sunshine ..

I think it's about being realistic, although if you like it - you often get accused of being deluded and having rose coloured specs on. I think if you're trying to get away from something or fix something e.g. a relationship - you tend to bring that baggage with you and inevitably have to deal with it.

We did come out for a validation trip but only because we decided to renovate our bungalow into a house and then started to run out of time to validate our visa, but it was never to come and see if we liked the placed, we had to decided to try something different, we wanted a change, to be honest, if one of us could have got on the plane, come through customs and then got back on a plane to the UK to validate our visa that is what we would have done.

We have only been here 15 weeks and for me personally it has been an emotional rollercoaster, but my hubby and kids settled within the first week. I love Perth now and call it my home. The first few weeks you do compare, just because you can't help yourself, its like when you first go on holiday, but after a few weeks Perth becomes the norm. Its fun finding out which shop you want to do your weekly shop in, going to all the different malls, trying a different beach every day, learning that petrol prices seem to change on a daily basis.

There is a reason why every single person decides to leave the UK and for some us we are very lucky that we are in a position to be able to put our plans into action, I am sure there are lots of people out there that would love to be in our position and trying a new way of life. I know as the time comes closer you start to think is this the right decision and you will have lots of emotions to go through before you get on that plane. But as Ali said being realistic helps, it will take time to settle and make new friends, but if you think they are friendly on PP wait til you get here, everyone I have met so far will go out of their way to help you, everyone is very friendly and because there are a "few" English here that have already done it, they offer a whole world of practical and good advice.

I m very lucky that we live by the sea, we said all along that we did not care where we lived in Perth NOR or SOR as they are both lovely, but it had to be by the coast, not right on the coast, but within walking distance and I still have to catch my breath when driving and you catch a glimpse of the sea. Don't get me wrong I have three kids so we do have to drive to get the surf boards, body boards, towels, lunch etc on the beach and to be honest we tend to try a different beach all the time, but we wanted to just be able to go for a walk along the coast. I have spent hours just sitting on the beach (not sunbathing) just sitting there watching the waves, surfers, kite surfers and you just feel peace and calm.

It takes a few weeks to get everything done, but it just seems to fall into place. Here in Perth you cannot rush things, you really do have to take one thing at a time and tick them off your list as you get them done.

You have some very exciting times ahead of you, sometimes you just need to remind yourself why you are doing it, something made you apply for that visa, so keep that in mind and hopefully you will be here very soon making some new friends.

Sarah

(ps I have to pinch myself quite regularly as its hard to believe we are finally here and making a new life for ourselves)

We did come out for a validation trip but only because we decided to renovate our bungalow into a house and then started to run out of time to validate our visa, but it was never to come and see if we liked the placed, we had to decided to try something different, we wanted a change, to be honest, if one of us could have got on the plane, come through customs and then got back on a plane to the UK to validate our visa that is what we would have done.

We have only been here 15 weeks and for me personally it has been an emotional rollercoaster, but my hubby and kids settled within the first week. I love Perth now and call it my home. The first few weeks you do compare, just because you can't help yourself, its like when you first go on holiday, but after a few weeks Perth becomes the norm. Its fun finding out which shop you want to do your weekly shop in, going to all the different malls, trying a different beach every day, learning that petrol prices seem to change on a daily basis.

There is a reason why every single person decides to leave the UK and for some us we are very lucky that we are in a position to be able to put our plans into action, I am sure there are lots of people out there that would love to be in our position and trying a new way of life. I know as the time comes closer you start to think is this the right decision and you will have lots of emotions to go through before you get on that plane. But as Ali said being realistic helps, it will take time to settle and make new friends, but if you think they are friendly on PP wait til you get here, everyone I have met so far will go out of their way to help you, everyone is very friendly and because there are a "few" English here that have already done it, they offer a whole world of practical and good advice.

I m very lucky that we live by the sea, we said all along that we did not care where we lived in Perth NOR or SOR as they are both lovely, but it had to be by the coast, not right on the coast, but within walking distance and I still have to catch my breath when driving and you catch a glimpse of the sea. Don't get me wrong I have three kids so we do have to drive to get the surf boards, body boards, towels, lunch etc on the beach and to be honest we tend to try a different beach all the time, but we wanted to just be able to go for a walk along the coast. I have spent hours just sitting on the beach (not sunbathing) just sitting there watching the waves, surfers, kite surfers and you just feel peace and calm.

It takes a few weeks to get everything done, but it just seems to fall into place. Here in Perth you cannot rush things, you really do have to take one thing at a time and tick them off your list as you get them done.

You have some very exciting times ahead of you, sometimes you just need to remind yourself why you are doing it, something made you apply for that visa, so keep that in mind and hopefully you will be here very soon making some new friends.

Sarah

(ps I have to pinch myself quite regularly as its hard to believe we are finally here and making a new life for ourselves)

What a cracking post!

In reality I think there are two types of people

I know loads of people who still live a stones throw from where they were born. They have all the family close by and talk/moan about life but will never change anything.......they will die wondering

Others I know like us enjoy change, like adventure and have always had nice holidays to far away places and loved the challenge and diversity of seeing different things. I have always wanted to go to India and will get there one day.

All I do know for sure is that we are going to embrace the challenge and enjoy the experience however things turn out!

Just go for it, definitely. There won't be a problem with you liking the place that's for sure, after all what is there not to like. A reccie is just another excuse for a holiday IMO, nothing wrong with that but you have to be prepared to spend the money which may come in more use further down the line. There is no guarantee that you will succeed here in Perth even though I am sure that you will. Some folk will tell you that living here is nothing like being on holiday. We have been here for just seven weeks and every day seems like a holiday for us and some folk have been here for years and still say that they feel that way. You won't truly know if Aussie life is for you until you are living here full-time, an experience that a reccie is simply not able to provide. I am confident however and like many others here on this site will agree, you will embrace and enjoy every day as a fantastic, new and exciting adventure.

I've never been to Oz, my O/H went for 10 months as part of his working holiday visa but this was 10 years ago and he was in Sydney. His never been to Perth but we are "taking the plunge"

Since we started our visa process a very long 18 months ago, we've actually had two sets of our couple friends move out to Perth - one lot of whom went because we put the idea in their head, even though they had never travelled further than Spain and now they are staying there permanently!

We had never been to australia before we decided to come out. I am from South Africa though and everyone had told me its like SA without the violent crime. My husband came for a crazy 5 day visit after we got our visas so he saw a little bit of Perth before we moved.

like fifi says if you do your research before you can be as prepared as possible for the differences and challenges ahead. I wonder how people coped before the internet when they emigrated!! I cant imagine it!!

I wonder how people coped before the internet when they emigrated!! I cant imagine it!!

This is a very good question. I spoke to a retired gentleman a while ago about his experience. He came when he was 17, after speaking to someone on the street in London. They told him about Australia and asked him if he was interested in coming and he literally went home, packed a case and jumped on a boat. When he arrived he and many other 'expats' were housed in temporary cabins on the hill overlooking Point Walter Reserve and he remembers sitting outside looking down on the river and thinking it was magical. He was in a single man's billet and many of his friends were homesick and worried about their future but unable to get back to England and simply had to tough it out.

One day a friend told him of a man who would be coming to look for workers so they gathered by the road the next morning. He was chosen and started an apprenticeship as a cabinet maker and eventually started his own business here in Freo. He met his wife just before he moved out of the migration centre and they are still together, living opposite South Beach in Freo. He's dismissive of the mixed emotions he must have gone through and is so understanding that, had he not made the decision to come, his life would have been so profoundly different.

Sarah

Sarah,

what a fantastic post, so open and honest. I'm so pleased its all working out for you all. Have the kids settled in well? are they school age? my eldest two are very up for the move but it still worries me how it will be for them leaving our families and everything they have ever known -however they're probably more resilient than us actually!!

Hope it continues in the same vein for you, thanks for the positivity,

j x

Just go for it, definitely. There won't be a problem with you liking the place that's for sure, after all what is there not to like. A reccie is just another excuse for a holiday IMO, nothing wrong with that but you have to be prepared to spend the money which may come in more use further down the line. There is no guarantee that you will succeed here in Perth even though I am sure that you will. Some folk will tell you that living here is nothing like being on holiday. We have been here for just seven weeks and every day seems like a holiday for us and some folk have been here for years and still say that they feel that way. You won't truly know if Aussie life is for you until you are living here full-time, an experience that a reccie is simply not able to provide. I am confident however and like many others here on this site will agree, you will embrace and enjoy every day as a fantastic, new and exciting adventure.

Thanks Rob, I am confident that with the continued support from people like you on this forum we will have a fantastic adventure. Can't wait to get started on the journey....

J x:biggrin: