Traffic NOR/SOR

wild rose

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to research suburbs and the first thing I think I need to decide is whether to opt for NOR or SOR. I'm looking at property prices and school ratings but another thing I'd like to consider is how long it takes to drive to the CBD in rush hour. In respect of SOR a friend suggested that the traffic starts to build up from Bull Creek downwards gradually getting worse. Does anyone know whether the traffic is bad to a similar degree NOR? If there's no escape then so be it, I'll just try ensure I don't go to far in either direction!

Many thanks xx

Rush hour traffic in Perth is bad. Personally if travelling to the CBD I would say let the train take the strain, but you do need to be at the station early to ensure a parking space.

The Mitchell Freeway is especially bad IMO, I do wonder if its because as well as people travelling from the north to the CBD, you also have the people travelling SOR, which is more industrialised?, so maybe many that live NOR would be coming south to their workplace.

I've not had to commute into the CBD but whenever I've had early meetings I've always taken the train in, which from Freo is just beautiful as you cross over the river and past the port at the beginning and end of my journey.

Having lived and commuted in London for the best part of 15 years I can tell you it's never anywhere near as bad here. Outside of rush hour I can drive into the CBD in 20 minutes, park and walk a short distance to anywhere. This was never possible in London where there was always the risk of having my car towed despite having legitimately paid £30+ for an hours parking.

Thanks for your replies! So to sum it up it sounds like it's just as bad north as it is south, if not a little worse, so it'll probably be wiser to get the train. To be honest we will probably end up settling close to where my husband can get a job but was hoping we could focus our search to a few suburbs to begin with in the hope of getting lucky. Thanks again x

• 9 months later...

Info you been given is spot on.Infrastructure here cant keep up with the growing population,simple as that.We started SOR in rentals in Rockingham ( shoalwater and Baldivis),bit too quiet,Moved Canningvale SOR, then bought in Ellenbrook NOR where we ve been 6 mnth.

Its all so daunting at first,but exciting too.Did you have to sit an Ielts test ?

Give us a shout if we can help !

Cheers for now

John and Annette

Everyone is spot on with their comments Wild Rose. The problem in Perth is that public transport is only good in certain areas, trains in particular. the train stations do not have adequate parking so you have to be an early bird to bag a parking space! The further out you go the less frequent the buses run, and it seems that "all roads and trains lead to Perth" so getting across country can be nigh on impossible on public transport. Hence why so many people prefer to drive.