Where to live? Members thoughts

Hi all,

So we arrived Thursday and had loads of viewings for rentals and properties to buy so far.

We don't really mind where we rent whilst we're setting up but I'd like your opinions on these suburbs where we've viewed homes to buy.

Please be totally honest, all the info we can get helps. Thanks! [emoji3]

Mirabooka

Padbury

Mullaloo

Bayswater

Maylands

Inaloo

Thanks everyone

Mark & Fabi

X

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mirabooka is where the Sudanese immigrants settle which is not a problem in itself but means the local schools are full of ESL kids with very high needs. They are delightful - heard them talk once at a conference about seeing light switches and flushing toilets for the first time, not a dry eye in the room.

Padbury Mullaloo and Inaloo are fine with good schools. If you have teenagers I think they might be in the catchment area for Churchlands in some parts of Innaloo which is one of the top four Gov High schools - and you go to IKEA for meatballs!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, hope you don't mind me gate-crashing your thread, but I too am looking at which areas would be best to emigrate to so thought I'd join in as you may well benefit from any answers I get!

I don't know Perth at all yet and am trying to work out which areas are within my budget and where I should focus my research on. As much as I'd love to live on the beach in one of the best areas, (Freemantle?) that isn't going to happen unless I win the lottery. Equally I don't want to live in a tin hut in an area I'll likely be shot dead within a month of emigrating! I'm looking on property websites and finding some bargains but assuming they are likely in awful areas. I'll be looking at getting a 3 bedroom property in the suburbs and hopefully get something for around $375k (the value of my UK house). I expect that I'll have to go inland a little, or to the north or south of the city to achieve this, or am I being unrealistic and will need more to get a 3 bed house in a reasonable area? I have teenage children so not overly worried about school catchment as they will be at college/working by the time we get over. It does mean that I don't want to be a million miles from civilisation, transport routes and social life though otherwise they'll hate it, but we currently live in a village on the outskirts of town which works for us so they're not expecting to be in Perth city itself.

If someone could list a few areas that might be worth us researching I'd really appreciate it. Also what is the difference between the suburbs north and south, I seem to be reading a bit of rivalry! From what I can gather, the northern suburbs are newer? I did look at Clarkson - any opinions on it? How much of a commute is that into Perth centre? Thanks in advance

Hi, hope you don't mind me gate-crashing your thread, but I too am looking at which areas would be best to emigrate to so thought I'd join in as you may well benefit from any answers I get!

I don't know Perth at all yet and am trying to work out which areas are within my budget and where I should focus my research on. As much as I'd love to live on the beach in one of the best areas, (Freemantle?) that isn't going to happen unless I win the lottery. Equally I don't want to live in a tin hut in an area I'll likely be shot dead within a month of emigrating! I'm looking on property websites and finding some bargains but assuming they are likely in awful areas. I'll be looking at getting a 3 bedroom property in the suburbs and hopefully get something for around $375k (the value of my UK house). I expect that I'll have to go inland a little, or to the north or south of the city to achieve this, or am I being unrealistic and will need more to get a 3 bed house in a reasonable area? I have teenage children so not overly worried about school catchment as they will be at college/working by the time we get over. It does mean that I don't want to be a million miles from civilisation, transport routes and social life though otherwise they'll hate it, but we currently live in a village on the outskirts of town which works for us so they're not expecting to be in Perth city itself.

If someone could list a few areas that might be worth us researching I'd really appreciate it. Also what is the difference between the suburbs north and south, I seem to be reading a bit of rivalry! From what I can gather, the northern suburbs are newer? I did look at Clarkson - any opinions on it? How much of a commute is that into Perth centre? Thanks in advance

Many people don't like clarkson. I think it's okay. We lived in Quinns Rocks. Worked on st Georges terrace. Door to door it was 1h10m by train. (including a 10 min walk to our office).

Where do you expect to be working?

We living in Clarkson at the moment while our house is getting built, you probably could get a 3x1x1 house here for $375, 4x2x2 are selling for around the $500k mark, wifey commutes every day to St Georges TCE, its exactly half hour to the Esplanade, parking is plentifull and she gets a seat all the way, we live in the Somerly estate close to the station, its great having the station so close, it means we can walk to the station, hop on the train to Joodalup, have a night out, hop back on the train and a 5 minute walk home, so every one can drink

Im a nurse so one of the hospitals - no idea which yet. I saw some nice houses in Banksia Grove that looked affordable - the new bit which according to some research is nicer than the old part and is an up and coming area? Also Mandyrah - quite a way out but very affordable houses if you're careful of which part you select? In these places I could afford a reasonable 3 bed detached it seems. Any thoughts? I'm only going by bits I've read. I've come to realise I can't afford to be in Perth and need to be outside to some degree. Boo! Thanks

Im a nurse so one of the hospitals - no idea which yet. I saw some nice houses in Banksia Grove that looked affordable - the new bit which according to some research is nicer than the old part and is an up and coming area? Also Mandyrah - quite a way out but very affordable houses if you're careful of which part you select? In these places I could afford a reasonable 3 bed detached it seems. Any thoughts? I'm only going by bits I've read. I've come to realise I can't afford to be in Perth and need to be outside to some degree. Boo! Thanks

It would depend on which hospital you are going to work at. Mandurah is lovely and perfect for Peel Health. But would be a nightmare if you were North of the river. Possible if you were at the new hospital as it is on the mandurah train line.

Try staying close to the train line, commuting is a nightmare if you are too far from the train, when we lived SoR in Harrisdale and the wife worked in the CBD, she had a 40 minute bus ride to the station, then 20 minutes on the train, driving was not an option into the cbd and driving to the station was a nightmare as well, South Street was rammed bumber to bumber in the morning and when she did get to the station couldnt find parking

Thanks for all your advice. Staying close to the train line sounds sensible. Is it a nightmare driving around central Perth, even if you're not going to the CBD, going to the main hospitals for example? Never actually been before so no idea how busy it actually is! Unless I go into London in the UK I tend to drive everywhere, never really thought about having to use trains to get to work

The CBD is congested and there is talk of a congestion charge to be introduced. Two of the hospitals are close to the CBD while the new Fiona Stanley is a fair way south.

Perth is different to the UK cities as traffic can build very early. It actually starts getting busy about 4:30 on the Kwinana as people who work in mining head for the airport. Then builds again from 6:30 as many office staff start early - in have always started at 7am when working in the city. That means though the rush hour starts early - about 3:30pm and stays busy till after 6pm. As a result, many people get the train. It is a good train service and cheap. For example, from mandurah it runs about every ten mins and costs about $11 to the CBD.

Mandurah is very picturesque with a huge foreshore that is actually bigger than Sydney harbour.

It it is a small city in its own right and has pretty much everything you need / want. At the same time it is only 50 mins from Perth.

It it is a very water based city as it is bound on two sides by water - the ocean to the west and the Peel to the east which is like a giant lake. In between there are many canals. As a result, any water based activities are very popular such as surfing, fishing and other water sports. Also, people come to see the Dolphins as we have a lot of them and easy to swim with them.

Housing is is much more affordable than Perth, particularly if being close to a beach is important to you.

The climate is also slightly better than Perth as we are normally 3c cooler in summer and 3c warmer in winter.

We are also closer to things like Margaret River and have a number of national parks close by.

It it is a very popular destination for tourists and it holds a number of big events during the summer that draws a lot of people in such as Crab Fest and the Red Bull X games.

Really useful info - thanks!

what is Mandurah like as a town to live in then? I've read good and bad things...

Hi Rachie

I will answer your questions with dot points, its only my opinion here but I have lived in WA for 30 years so here goes.

x Job market not good at the moment due to mining crash

x Lots of rental properties available due to general over supply

x I prefer north of the river (not so many crazies)

x Rent first in an such as Joondalup to start off (plenty of stuff here with good transport links)

x Dont buy a house until you know a bit more about the place

x Clarkson is too far out

x Perth is getting to gridlock for car travel, so place your self near good train / bus links

x Joondalup to Perth is direct line by train, takes about 35-40 mins

x I would settle in Joondalup first with renting, you can look for a good rent right now!

x PS I am not a real estate agent

x Mandurah has train link but no good for local work, have to commute to Perth anyway

x Mandurah is a bit rough also (my opinion)

Hi Rachie

I will answer your questions with dot points, its only my opinion here but I have lived in WA for 30 years so here goes.

x Rent first in an such as Joondalup to start off (plenty of stuff here with good transport links)

x Perth is getting to gridlock for car travel, so place your self near good train / bus links

x I would settle in Joondalup first with renting, you can look for a good rent right now!

x Mandurah has train link but no good for local work, have to commute to Perth anyway

Job market is bad in mining, not all industries, Clarkson. Is too far from what exactly? Buy a motorbike, don't get stuck in traffic, or use the train from Butler or Clarkson, don't have a 9-5 Job traffic Don't like Mandurah either as a place to live, but nice place to visit for a day!

South of the river gets smashed by storms much worse than the North!!!

Edited by abc

I personally find the northern suburbs rough. Full of football shirt wearing poms and I can't help thinking the the quip by new Zealand's prime minister a few years ago could be said by Cameron in regards to the northern suburbs. "The mass migration from the UK to theire has increased the IQ of both countries"

we we were in one of the newer northern suburbs a few weeks ago and it reminded us of the traditional back to back terraces. None had any real garden at the rear and we're just rows upon rows of plastic looking houses which were backed onto each other like warrens.

Edited by verystormy

Hi Rachie

Lol "crazies".

Pomdaloop is full of them. Reminds of Blackpool minus the beach.

In my time here I have had the misfortune to have to dismiss a number of people for failing drug tests. The vast majority were from areas around Joondalup. Mainly for amphetamine - probably ice.

Edited by verystormy

I love living " up North " been out today in what is so called "little britain" and had a wonderful time, lots of people about all said hi, really nice atmosphere. Been for a walk along the so called "would not live there " Quinns , and was followed by 4 dolphins enjoying themselves. Went to the shops in Joondalup on monday had a great morning.I will be catching the train into Perth tomorrow to catch the ferry to have a walk along the Swan river.

We all think we have chosen the best either north or south, I personally think it is great here.