New arrivals, Without jobs, how do you decide where to live???

Evening All,

It's not the old "suburb to live in query" before you guys role your eyes again!

More about sensible options about picking a rental, without knowing where you will find work. I was hoping those of you that have been in this position might be able to offer advise.

We have been here a week and are looking for work, currently staying central Perth in a holiday let ( booked for 4 weeks)

My initial thought was to stay central ish, so that where ever we secured a job, we would be equidistant away ( if that makes sense) as opposed to heading up north only to find the chap gets a position south and then has a mega commute for eg.

But not sure I am doing the right thing. Not sure whether I should just start picking places i like and go with that and deal with whatever the job/commute throws at us. ( it will be a rental of course, so not for ever that we would have to manage) Any tips.

Our other option is to extend the holiday let ( but pay more that way) until we secure work to bid some time.

Also, how quick can you realistically secure a rental, can it be done in 3 weeks? My brother who is here, thinks it can now days, less competition etc.

I can certainly see how having family or friends to stay with intially would be big help.

Cheers in advance guys

Lauren

Hi @LoopyLauren,

We had a similar predicament when we arrived, my partner had a job already in Bibra Lake so we wanted somewhere that would be central for us both but without knowing where I'd secure work it seemed impossible. We eventually decided to bite the bullet and just get a rental and deal with the commute. We just thought we could relocate further down the line if necessary. We have ended up in Piara Waters and I now work in the city. Travelling works out fine for both of us. It takes me about an hour in total, this includes droping our little girl at nursery.

I think aslong as you find somewhere that has good links to public transport and the freeways it'll be ok.

And like you say, its not permanent.

Oh time wise we viewed the property on a Wednesday and picked the keys up Friday, moved in Saturday. Aslong as all you paperwork and application are inline. Its pretty fast.

KatieLou

Hi @LoopyLauren,

We had a similar predicament when we arrived, my partner had a job already in Bibra Lake so we wanted somewhere that would be central for us both but without knowing where I'd secure work it seemed impossible. We eventually decided to bite the bullet and just get a rental and deal with the commute. We just thought we could relocate further down the line if necessary. We have ended up in Piara Waters and I now work in the city. Travelling works out fine for both of us. It takes me about an hour in total, this includes droping our little girl at nursery.

I think aslong as you find somewhere that has good links to public transport and the freeways it'll be ok.

And like you say, its not permanent.

Oh time wise we viewed the property on a Wednesday and picked the keys up Friday, moved in Saturday. Aslong as all you paperwork and application are inline. Its pretty fast.

KatieLou

Brill info thanks @KatieLou and @Deb. xx

We have been on a drive about today, tricky with two bored whining or teething kids in the back. Did less than a quarter of what i wanted to view today, but it's a start. xxx

We are at Eden Beach Jindalee which has loads of rentals and is nice, only down side is my job that i start Monday is in Freo so will be a nightmare, it should be moving to Wangara within 12 months, if i last that long with the commute, depends on what you want to spend weekly as yes the rents have dropped but you will still spend a lot more central, and dont get caught out by working out your rent by 4 and make sure you do the rent x52 divide by 12 as it makes a whole load of difference when working out your monthly costs.

We are at Eden Beach Jindalee which has loads of rentals and is nice, only down side is my job that i start Monday is in Freo so will be a nightmare, it should be moving to Wangara within 12 months, if i last that long with the commute, depends on what you want to spend weekly as yes the rents have dropped but you will still spend a lot more central, and dont get caught out by working out your rent by 4 and make sure you do the rent x52 divide by 12 as it makes a whole load of difference when working out your monthly costs.

Thanks jason, I did not see there were more posts and i replied thinking you were also still looking for rentals. Glad you found somewhere nice. I will take a look a Jindalee. Thanks

We looked around the cbd, prices were expensive for rentals, we decided to buy a cheap run around for 900$ ( it's like a shed on wheels but it gets us from a to b) and we looked further south, we live in Leeming, to my job in the city it's 15-20 minutes commute and my other half works in Rockingham for the council so it's a 30-40 minute commute, we got a 3 bed house for $400 weekly, were as in the cbd that was the price for a one - 2 bed apartment, let alone a house. Maybe look either north or South 15-20 minute commute to the cbd. I don't find the commute all that bad, I drive all the way down the river :) xx

Hi

What you do for a living may also have a bearing on where you live. I'm a chippy and there's load of work north of Joondalup as they're building like crazy up there. That said, the company I work for does most of it's work in the city and as I live near Joondalup it would be a trek except that I start at 6.30 and finish at 2.30 so I miss the worst of the traffic.

I wouldn't go too far out, I would write a list of your priorities...ie quiet, busy, coast, hills, facilities, transport links etc...

It's a big decision as where you stay colours your judgement of whole of Perth and Perth IS diverse. Budget plays a part. Will you want to buy eventually? Will schools be a factor? You could try getting a 3 month lease somewhere central, then decide on a more permanent place when you've been here a while and had a proper chance to look around and find work. If I had our time again and schools were not an issue that's what I'd have done. Get yourself a nice rental near the city, maybe coastal if you can and enjoy the next few months.

Edited by DreamTripper