How easy is it to get a rental?

Hi everyone

we are moving out to perth around feb/March next year and are planning to rent a holiday home for 2-3 weeks in the hope of finding a rental property in this time. do you think it will be feasible to find a long term rental property in 2/3 weeks? We are looking at rockingham xx

It can be done but If you take a holiday rental on for a bit longer then you are not rushing into anything., gives you a bit longer to look around

Its not easy, I have lived in Perth a long time now. Perth is very expensive in everything you want to do. Also there are plenty of scammers who will prey on new poms such as yourself. Perth also has a high cost of living which is a left over from the mining boom. The mining bubble has burst, but the high prices remain for everything. Sorry but that's the truth.

Guest Guest6235

Strange this as you get told on other threads that there are plenty of rentals available now and for lower prices and that you can even haggle a little to get the price down!!

Getting a rental quickly seems to depend on how much rent you are prepared to pay, when you go for the cheaper 3x1 for about $400 week there seem to be loads of applicants at the open days, the more expensive, the fewer the applicants, when you get to rediculous money, you will find you are the only applicant and get the house by default, so my advice is aim a bit higher, go for a 4x2, these are still popular, but they are more family orientated so fewer applicants, and might be more than you need but at least you are pretty much guaranteed to get it, i will be moving early January and rentals are deffinately going down in price

Hi,

We are moving out to Mandurah in January and finding the rental situation hard. most rental applications are after a view so we are looking at paying over the odds for a holiday home until we can find a rental. Find a fully furnished rental on a few weeks lease is also hard but we will keep on looking.

Jeremy

Hi,

We are moving out to Mandurah in January and finding the rental situation hard. most rental applications are after a view so we are looking at paying over the odds for a holiday home until we can find a rental. Find a fully furnished rental on a few weeks lease is also hard but we will keep on looking.

Jeremy

hi, we're in mandurah. If we can help, just ask!

Where are you moving to Druid, is it for a particular reason? Will you be renting or buying

We are busy building in Burns Beach, we did the 'try before you buy' renting in Burns Beach, but you pay a premium for rentals here and we need to save some money for the build, so we are going to move to Currambine, kinross or Connoly for 6 months while we are building

Just a tip (not sure if it has been mentioned before): when you come to Oz you probably start in a short term rental (or stay with friends). Ask them if they want to be your reference for the long term lease. If you rented back in the UK, ask for a written reference from them.

We also offered to pay 6 months upfront. Although in the end we didn't have to pay the 6 months upfront.

Much easier to find a rental here now as evidenced by the fact agents rarely hold home opens any more - you just contact them for a private inspection. Rents have also definitely come down although in some high end areas of the market I have noticed agents 'trying it on' by advertising higher rents than 12 months ago but they end up dropping the prices. In lots of cases rents are negotiable down now. Very unlikely you would have to offer a few months rent in advance. In WA it is a legal requirement that you have to view a property before renting (unless it is short term) therefore you will not be able to rent a property before you are physically here.

Guest Guest6235

Not saying the above isn't true but the people we know managed to secure a rental from the UK before they moved, it was through LJ (TJ) Hooker. He said it may of helped as his wife already had a job before they moved.

Ooo I have a job waiting! I will try to do that it would help massively :) x

I would strongly not recommend it. Suburbs can be very different in feel to what you think. We were certain we wanted to live in one of three. But on visiting, the one thing we knew was that we didn't want to live in any of them. Also, houses can be very different to what appears on line.

The rental market has eased a lot in Perth now, so yes you could feasibly get a rental in 2-3 weeks, but you will be then tied in to a 6-12 month lease.

I would recommend you consider taking a little longer in a short term rental to give you time to look around at the different suburbs and get a feel for where you want to settle, and then find a house that is really going to suit you - because there are some good deals out there to be had now.

Good luck!

Hi,

Jeremy

We're in Mandurah too and love it here - maybe we can help for early next year too.